Light of the World

We were sitting in the chill of the still-cool spring evenings. Talking about church, and kids, and the work of life. The stars were playing peek-a-boo through the clouds but faces clear and bright. My thoughts, preoccupied…on grown up things. The mood, slightly sorrowful…thinking about saying goodbye to things, to people we love…

That’s when I saw him.

He hovered just right of my vision field. The sudden flash of his light commanding my attention.
Not a falling star, no.

The fireflies are back.

I have watched, and waited…but the last several nights distractions called to me. Now I look out over the meadow and see their joyful lights. Hidden in the trees and shrubs. Playfully skitting about the grasses…

Did you see? I ask excitedly.

The sorrow of goodbyes, forgotten. Replaced with childish joy. The coming of the fireflies always marks the beginning of summer for me.

I indulge.

Survey the great oak with living Christmas lights.

And it makes me think of Jesus. And the Festival of Lights. Is this what He saw when He looked out over the campsites, each with their own lantern swinging in the breeze.

“I am the light of the world,” He declares.

I look at the beauty in the trees.

And I believe Him.

Comments

Fireflies are one of the things I’ve been looking forward to since the move. I’ve seen them a couple times on visits and thought we’d see them by now, but no such luck! I’m still waiting. They remind me of His awesome creativity! Loved the post!
    shanda

I used to see so many fireflies when I was a little girl. I need to be on the look-out for them. Again, great post!

Thanks for your comment on my blog.
    Yes, a good friend and I are going to camp (along with 6 other sponsors) with about 40 kids for a week. She and I are actually cooking! I’ve never cooked for that many people, but it’ll be fine. I’m in charge of snacks each Wed. so I’m a little bit used to it.
    This is a huge camp. If you look up skopos.org and click on Falls Creek you’ll see where we’re going.

We have an older home and now that the kids are gone and we have a little extra money, we’re in the process of fixing up each room. We did some work in the living room a few years ago and the bathroom a year or so ago. The kitchen hasn’t had any attention in quite some time.
    We got a really good deal on our house back in 1989. The lady who lived here passed away and they were just wanting to sell it quick.
    Kristen and I were talking about how it looked when we moved in.I think there was every shade of green imaginable in this house & gold shag carpet in one bedroom. And fluorescent lights in EVERY room. She said, “What made y’all like this house anyway?” 🙂
    It is in a great neighborhood and I knew in time….in time….we’d be able to fix it up. Hey…it’s paid for and that’s a blessing.
    I’ll show pics though.
    Thanks for the sweet words and please pray for us next week when we come to mind.
    Love,
    Val

Friend, I love how you look for and see the glimpses of Papa all around you. No matter what you are going through your eyes are always looking about to catch a glimpse of Him. I love that!

I am sorry you are having to say sad goodbyes…..

Hugs,
    Julie

Hi,
    This is a beautiful post. It really made me feel as if I were there!

I am coming over here from Lysa’s blog. See you at She Speaks!

Beautiful, Laura.

Can’t wait to see you at SheSpeaks! Please make sure you come up to me and let me know who you are! I am doing a panel discussion and will be helping LeAnn with the nuts and bolts of the conference.

Lisa 🙂

This was beautiful! How awesome was your description?!
    You should seriously think about putting your thoughts into book form…I would buy your work 🙂

I love that last sentence…really gripped my heart. So simple yet so profound. And I believe Him.

Beautiful words Laura.
    Thanks for all your encouraging & sweet comments on my blog. Can hardly wait to meet you this summer!!
    Blessings,