A Shopping Trip

**I have been on a fast, of sorts, from writing, and missed our Tuesday Bible study. I do apologize and promise to try to do better next week!

Siblings

She sits in a rocking chair, her very own, cushioned by down-stuffed pillows because the pillows of her body have lost their plump.

This favored aunt, the youngest one, the one who always has a funny story or a puppy-dog friend to share…this favored aunt has been ill.

These cheeks, always rosy and smiling, now pale–still smiling. An impostor sits atop her head where her crowning glory used to be. I am afraid to hug her, that I might break her. But I do anyway. Carefully.

She seems a ghost of herself, so small and frail.

That is, until she opens her mouth and speaks. I am glad to hear the voice is still strong and gay. She shares her story.

“It was just like…going on a shopping trip.” She tells us, her family. Perhaps the most difficult of all audiences. “I felt such a sense of peace. I wish I could explain the sense of peace God gave me.”

I have never heard cancer surgery described as a shopping trip.

“When I gave Him my heart, I gave Him everything. Even this.”

The confidence in her voice shakes me. This is faith. She has been brought close to Him through this suffering. She has felt his breath upon her cheek. I see in her eyes, the joy and strength that comes from walking with Him.

“I will not look this way forever,” she says, with a brilliant smile that knocks my socks off.

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that for outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”—2 Cor. 4:16-18

**please pray for my Aunt Martha, my friends. She still has a long journey ahead of her.

Comments

Oh WOW Laura, this is really beautiful. At first I thought it was something you were just writing, I didn’t know it was really about your Aunt!! I loved everything she said. How beautiful and what a true testament of what happens when a woman walks in faith!!!
    I will be praying for her.
    Love ya,
    Lelia

Yes, indeed, this journey, though very painful it can be is a journey to drawing closer to God.

What a beautiful perspective your aunt has.

“When I gave Him my heart, I gave Him everything. Even this.”

Wow. What a truly beautiful lady of great courage, strength, and faith.
    Much love and prayers,
    Paula

What a beautiful story. What a beautiful woman.

Thanks for sharing..

Papa God come for your sweet girl, Martha….cover her with your arms of mercy and whisper your words of love to her heart. Bear her up in her pain and tenderly lead her into her healing.

Hugs, Laura,
    Julie

What incredible faith! I’ve been surrounded by such women in my own life. I’m sad for their suffering, very sad, but I am glad for having them around. They’ve taught me more about God and faith and living life than any book or movie or popular speaker. Those who suffer in the flesh are my heros. God bless your Aunt and your tender soul for sharing her journey of life with all of us.

I’d love to hear her stories!

peace~elaine

Lifting Martha’s name up to our Heavenly Father right now! Very special post and I understand having been there with my Mom. God Bless you and your whole family.

I will be praying for your Aunt Martha. She sounds like an incredible lady. I love being around positive people like her.
    God bless her and heal her.
    Love,
    Valerie

What an awesome post of encouragement for me to read after such an emotional week.
    God is so good to have blessed your aunt with peace and faith during this hard time. Her outlook is so inspirational!
    I’ll be praying for both of you!

That was a beautifully written post! I needed that encouragement as I have faced a similiar situation for the past two weeks with a family member. I will be praying for your aunt.
    Blessings,
    Starr

Wow Laura! This was a beautifully written post about your aunt. Very inspiring and uplifting. I will add her to my prayer list – as well as you and your family as you all see her through this difficult time.

Take care.

Hi Laura,

I missed (and really missed) our Tuesday study as well and am just now catching up with the blogs I love to read. I was blessed by your post about your aunt this morning. I couldn’t help but feel a tug in my heart for my favorite (and only) aunt. I’ll be praying for you aunt.

Blessings,