Don’t Look Back

I have a favorite Mary Engelbreit poster that depicts a young girl heading up a path with a knapsack dangling over her shoulder. The road ahead forks in two and the resulting paths are marked with signs. The one to the left reads: Your life. The other: No Longer an Option. The little girl is going left. At the top of the poster in large print are the words: DON’T LOOK BACK. (To see my favorite poster, click here).

In chapter 2 (of What Happens When Women Walk in Faith), A Line in the Sand, Lysa Terkeurst says, “We can’t go ahead with God to new and exciting places if we spend too much time looking back.”

Would somebody say “Amen”?

In this chapter, Lysa reminds us that when we move forward, we usually have to leave something behind. I love it when she says, “Leaving is usually an act of obedience and not a desire of the heart.”

Isn’t that the truth? Sometimes we need to make a deliberate decision to draw our line in the sand and never go backward across it again. Lysa says, “Experiencing life change is not a matter of chance, it’s a matter of choice, choosing God’s ways instead of your own.”

Now that is walking in faith.

The study guide portion of this chapter was like a breath of fresh air, reminding me of some of my favorite scriptures and Bible stories.

We first perused the Hall of Faith in Hebrews 11, which has always inspired me. When I read through the names of the people that God has used throughout history, I realize they were human and had weaknesses, just like me. It encourages me to press on.

Lysa then asks us to list some of our “streams in the desert” after reading Isaiah 43:16-19. The primary joys that God has brought to me during times of drought are usually in the relationships He brings my way. I’ve met some amazing people during difficult times and have grown through their friendships. There have been so many times when I have obeyed God reluctantly, but ended up being blessed. He always knows best.

The study ends with a discussion of a very special promise from scripture. The promise of a new name has always filled me with longing. God has told me that I am a new creation in Him, and I long for the day when that transformation is complete. My name, Laura, means “a crown of laurels”. A crown of laurels is the prize given to denote victory. God has given me victory over many things in this life.

When I look back in faith, I am amazed at His faithfulness. We have journeyed through much together, and when I consider these things, I wonder why I tremble when He asks me to step out in faith with Him.

I have never failed you before, He gently whispers in my ear.

And He is so right.

Here we go.

Watch me walk.

Stepping out.

But I’m holding His hand.

Comments

And Laura I am walking this with you! As I mentioned to Lynn and think I will add to my blog, I am ashamed at how much wasted time I have spent looking back. Like you, I choose obedience and I am willing to give up what He ask so that I walk the path He has called me to.

In His Graces~Pamela

As usual, friend, I loved what you wrote….

Yep, it all comes back to trust. Can I trust Him to be enough when I step out? My friend Tiffany wrote about stepping out.

Isn’t it cool that He longs for us to know who we REALLY are?

Love and hugs to you, friend,
    Julie

That indeed was a good chapter. So many things touched me. I was not able to post on my blog as I mentioned I’m behind on so many things and my poor puter was sick.

I did leave a comment at Lelia’s blog regarding this chapter. If you’re interested, pop back there to read my gibbered thoughts.
    Love,
    Paula

Laura, I agree with your comments about the blessings of relationships during the storms of life. God always knows what is best even when I don’t understand. Though it is still a challenge at times to surrender, He is constantly increasing my desire to obey and that is a blessing. Thanks for sharing, Jill

Hi Laura

I enjoyed this chapter too. You are so right, it is often a deliberate decision to draw a line in the sand and don’t look back. There are things in my life that I need to do that to. It is a matter of choice. Through that statement and my studies by Beth Moore… I am realizing more and more… a pure life doesn’t just happen, it is the result of choosing it and doing it on purpose. Not by chance.

Thanks so much for sharing this great post.
    Lynn

The important thing is that you are taking those steps no matter how big or small and even more important that you are holding His hand! I can testify that new adventures may not seem like adventures at all in the beginning, but hang on. Just like Julie posted, God is beckoning you to go deeper and stepping out in faith is the perfect start! No better place to be than holding His hand!
    Thanks for checking in! I love to hear from you!
    shanda

I can so relate at trembling when stepping out in faith when there is nothing to fear because God has always been there.

Blessings,
    Sandra

This is great Laura! I love what you wrote, I love the poster & I love the meaning of your name!!!
    Satan has robbed me of much from looking over my shoulder constantly. I hope God doesn’t sit me down when I get to Him and say, Look here sister,this is what you missed. I don’t think He will though cuz isn’t Heaven supposed to be “tear-free”? 🙂
    Love ya,