On Signing Books and Hannah Montana

Yesterday, I had my first “real” book signing. I have to admit, I was a little nervous. I skimmed my book for parts I wanted to read, and had an outline of ideas of what I wanted to say in between reading. I felt fairly prepared.

But I was nervous.

So, the night before, looking for a distraction, I settled in with Gilead, hoping Marilynne Robinson’s beautiful prose would keep my mind off the signing.

It didn’t work. When I decided to put the book down, I’d lost my bookmark. So I grabbed a scrap piece of paper from my work pile (Do you have one of those?) and watched some TV with Jeff.

Next morning, I was still thinking about it. Even after prayer.

The Lord had awakened me at 5 a.m. to talk about it, and I laid it down before Him. Several times. At 5:45 or so, I grabbed Gilead again. I noticed the scrap paper bookmark and examined it. It was an old memory verse I had copied down—probably over a year ago.

Here’s what it said:

“But when they arrest you (or when you have a book signing), do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.” (Matt. 10:19-20)

I felt better after that.

I began to see that this was an opportunity to share my faith…to glorify Him.

When I was able to make it about Him—not me—everything fell into place.

Everything went fine, and I had a lot of fun.

There was a little competition at the mall yesterday morning…

Check out this line:

No, that’s not my book signing line (Ha!).

It’s a line to see Jason Earle, who is evidently of Hannah Montana fame.

The mall was packed with pre-teen girls. I thought that might be a good thing, since that is the target audience for my book, but all of these girls seemed to be in an agitated state and were not interested in visiting a bookstore.

But I had a secret weapon…

Chocolate!

I sold a few books and really enjoyed getting to know the staff at Borders Express.

God is so good, Dear Ones. He gives us so many blessings!

Sometimes I just need a little reminder of that!

Comments

My 13 yo “Bookworm” def would love this book! She just finished Not The End of the World by Geraldine McCaughrean.
    Guess I need to get to Amazon today! LOL!

I would have been first in line for your book (and chocolate) if I had been there!:)

I’m following Mia to Amazon.:)

Congratulations!
    And I love the verse God gave you.

God Bless,
    Amy:)

What’s the name of your book? I guess I’ve totally missed a piece here. I didn’t know you wrote a book. I’m also not familiar with book signings but it sounds like the authors reads from portions of it before lining up to get their personal copy signed.

Great verse. I think when we go into anything prayed up, we can trust the H.S. to speak through us the right words at the right time.

Congratulations, Laura!
    Paula

I also missed the name of your book and would love to read it! Glad your book signing went wonderful…God has His hand on you!
    You need not fret over your ability.
    Thanks for the sweet comment your left for me over at my blog.
    Blessings,
    Starr

Congratulations, Laura! I would love to read your book! I am so excited for you!
    You are the sweetest thing!

Chocolate! I love it! And so do most people!

I think the Lord must be smiling all over the place concerning you!

Blessings,
    Cheri

Oh, how exciting! I’m so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy it and not let the “nerves” win over.
    CONGRATULATIONS!
    shanda

There is a verse and a song that comes to my mind when I think of you Laura. Hosea 14:2 – Take Words with you. They are already in your beautiful heart. And the song goes like this “I need words…” Your words so honor the First Love of your life. And I rather believe He was singing over you and delighting in you at that book signing – Zeph 3:16-20 for you will bring many BACK HOME to HIM. Love you my friend! Bev

I would have come to your book signing.

What’s the name of the book, Laura…
    I wanna read your book!

Did I miss something?????

Hugs,
    Julie

Okay, I feel like an idiot for saying in a past post that you should right a book because clearly you were already on the path to it 🙂 Forgive me!!!
    What an awesome accomplishment!!! Let me know where to pick one up.
    I’m so glad the signing went well.
    You look absolutely adorable in the pic!!

Hi Laura,

I’m not sure if I have left a comment or not before. I have visited a time or two. What is the name of your book?

It was nice to “meet” you. I will add you to my blog list of favorite sites.

Nicole

Hi Laura! Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I tagged you today. I have had fun with this. I hope you enjoy!
    These are the rules:

1) Link to the person who tagged you
    2) Post the rules on your blog (Exactly like you see me doing right now.)
    3) Write 6 random things about yourself
    4) Tag 6 people at the end of your post and link to them (This is only a game)
    5) Let each person know they have been tagged and leave a comment on their blog
    6) Let the tagger know when your entry is up
    Blessings,
    Cheri

Laura,
    I just sent you an e-mail about your book.
    I had no idea you were writing a book. I’ve said all along (since Jan. when I first started blogging) what an awesome gift you have for writing. I’m really proud of you.I love the verse you shared, love the picture of you & can’t wait to get ahold (is that a word?) of a copy of the book.
    Congratulations!
    Love,
    Valerie

Congratulations on your book!! I’ll have to head over to Amazon and look this one up….maybe I can get a copy for my daughter (11)

Chocolate is an excellent secret weapon – smart thinking!

Congratulations, Laura! I pray your book will be a blessing to our youth who are struggling with such issues of divorce and discontent within the home. Home should be a safe-haven but it often isn’t. My parent’s divorced when I was seven and I can attest to so much dysfunction in our family. I’m looking forward to reading your book – who knows, it may just bring about some healing to the young girl within.

Blessings,