Terkeurst Tuesdays

We’re on chapter three of What Happens When Women Walk in Faith by Lysa Terkeurst. This chapter is entitled God Has a Plan.
And He does.

My first underline: “…sometimes we try to put our new name on our old identity.” (pp 31).

Did this resonate with anyone else?

I cannot embrace God’s plan for my life and remain unchanged. Yet, old habits and ways of thinking often send me back down the path of my will, rather than God’s will.

Sometimes, I get so frustrated with my fleshly self that rears its ugly head in the middle of this journey.

Truth is, it happens a lot.

There are scripts that play out in my mind because they have been there long enough to establish roots.

I need to pull these weeds and plant the truth in my heart.

Trusting God. This is really what we are talking about. In this chapter, Lysa encourages us to let go of our agenda and trust in God’s plan.

I don’t know about you, but when I look back over my life, the times that I have given God control are the times when my life has been deeply enriched or dramatically moved in some way. It’s easier to look back and see these things than to stand right in the middle and surrender.

I love Lysa’s story about her first experience in the publishing world. And just look at her now! She was faithful in the little things…

In the study questions, Lysa asks, “How might God use you, weaknesses and all, to minister to other people?”

Our pastor gave a sermon Sunday on being salt and light. He reminded us that salt was used as a preservative in those times. So what Jesus was saying in these verses is that when our lives rub up against the lives of those around us, we should prevent decay. We should preserve their lives.

What is there in me that leads to the preservation of those around me? What rubs off of me that will save another?

We are here for a reason.

Lysa says, “God has placed you exactly where you are according to His purposes.”

We are His people.

And He has a plan for us.

Comments

Well, you beat me to underlining. I looked to see what I first underlined and it was on p. 33 “So I’d tried to force the dream to come true with my own formula, and it failed miserably.” My own formula….that struck a chord with me. Boy, have I tried to make things happen in my personal life and tried to fix using my own formula.

Yet, I have to keep going back when I don’t understand the whys and hows of His plan that His ways are not our ways. Just because I can’t see things happening nor can I see His Hand at work, doesn’t mean His not. His plan is so much grander than mine and I believe so grand that I cannot see it nor perceive it.

I admit I have to keep reminding myself there’s a purpose in the trial I’m enduring and there’s a reason for it that He’s allowed things to happen this way.

That truly keeps me going each day.
    Love,
    Paula

Isn’t it just awesome, that We are His, and that we can do deeper, we don’t have to stay surface?

That happens, I think, when He begins to put a deep hunger in us.

Girl, let’s be salt and light…tasty and shining all for Him.

Lovingly,
    Yolanda

I like the new name. TerKeurst Tuesday.

So true that it is impossible to embrace God’s plan for our life without being changed.
    I love when we discover how much better Gods plan was than anything we could have imagined.
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my blog.

Luanne

You said, “God has placed you exactly where you are according to His purposes.”

Thanks for saying this. Sometimes I wonder why I live where I live. It’s hard to see God’s purposes here where I live….

But I trust…..

He knows…..

You are His beauty…you touch the lives of us all with your beautiful words.

Hugs,
    Julie

I love that you posted about this very topic. Trusting God seems to be my theme this week. I placed something huge in His hands last night and can’t wait to see where He leads.
    I also needed to be reminded that God has me exactly where he needs me, to be the best mirror for Him.
    Thanks sister! 🙂

Great post! I have some of those same scripts in my head as well that won’t leave. I need some more weed killer!! I know that comes with spending more time in His Word…which is exactly what I have been doing lately. And..it is so wonderful!

Hope that you have a great day!
    Blessings,
    Susan

The idea of change isn’t always one I enjoy, but you are right – we can’t be who God intends us to be by staying who we are! Thanks for sharing, Jill

Your entire post resonated with me, especially “It’s easier to look back and see these things than to stand right in the middle and surrender. But looking back on His faithfulness gives me the courage and strength to trust again. And again. And again.”

That’s exactly what I have to do, again and again.

This sounds like a great study.
    If I weren’t already doing “No Other Gods” I’d be doing this one.
    Sometimes we aren’t even aware for a long time just the salt and light we have been in others’ lives.
    Bless you today & thanks for a wonderful post.
    Love,
    Valerie

“Let us praise Him in everything. He designs us. He doesn’t just make us…He designs us. We are His hands. We are His voice in the wilderness. We are His feet. We are His people. And He has a plan for us.”

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!!!

GREAT post!

Prayers and blessings,
    Rebecca

Laura:
    Thank you for your thoughts about new names and old identities. I’m not doing the study with you, but this is a concept that resonates with me. I’m learning to replace the old with the truth of God’s Word, but it’s been a process…a willful decision to be dressed by Truth rather than my flesh.

Thanks for your thoughts.

peace~elaine

I truly believe that we’ve been placed around those we are with to help mold us into who we are. I learned compassion from watching my grandmother do so much for everyone around her. I learned to be loyal because I saw the heartbreak my father’s infedility caused my mother. I can go on and on.

Blessings,
    Sandra

Great post! Trying to wear my new name on my old identity was something I struggled with for years. This was not an overnight change for me. I praise God for His plan of bringing me through.

I guess this also includes a month of bed rest (with good hair),huh?:)

~Lysa asks, “How might God use you, weaknesses and all, to minister to other people?” God has given each of us unique experiences. He knows how to use every little thing that has happened to me for His glory. He has placed me where I am today, in the family I am in, in the job I am in, in the community I am in…because He knows that I have special experiences to influence those people whose lives mine touches.~

These statements really hit me too.
    I’ve wondered myself how am I going to be able to bring God glory while I’m laid up in the bed (with good hair), crying over my sweet Allie, needing physical help for practically everything, and basically feeling useless.
    But I know God has a purpose. He had me start my blog (much to my disagreement) and I realize, even lying in the bed for a month (with good hair), I can still be a witness for Him and share on my blog about Him and everything that He has done to help me through my struggles.

He has me exactly where He wants me, so I am really trying to get over myself, and let Him do what He needs to do, and obey what He tells me to do. Only God would or could use a country girl on bedrest for His kingdom, amen?:)

This was a lovely post.
    I love your honest heart.
    God Bless,
    Amy:)

Can I just say you are so beautiful, Laura? I just love your heart, friend.

Let’s get in touch soon. I think I owe you an email!

Lisa 🙂