Lessons From a Fall

We tumble into the van for our weekly Wednesday adventure: these girls with too long legs, this almost teen boy, little boy who must always tag along, Pastor-friend, and me—bus driver.

We are going ice skating.

And I’ve never been.

Fear niggles; what if I can’t, Lord? What if I fall?

Our lesson on the way: Getting up when you fall down.

Memory verse: Phil. 4:13—“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

Fear is pocketed for a time, discouragement defeated by His Word to me.

And we step out onto the slippery surface…slow, baby steps at first…

And then we soar!

There are many falls.

Some grasp the rail with fingers clenched tight (I am one of these).

But we get back up. We get out on that shimmery, bed of frozen water and try…again…and again.

It was perfectly lovely fun.

I was so proud of the kids; how they helped one another…waited for the wall clingers…cheered each other on…

It was a living lesson on not giving up.

Back at home, the boys are starving.

I fix the dinner. We eat the dinner. Visit with my father-in-law who stops in briefly. Then I check my messages.

There it is, sitting in my in-box. I have waited, but it is still a surprise to see. My heart skips a beat.

Eyes skim. Heart sinks.

Disappointment, so bitter it brings tears.

I am so angry at myself for feeling this way that I vacuum the entire house.

The sound of the Hoover covers my thoughts, but still, a whisper in my ear:

You’re not good enough. Why are you even trying? Why don’t you just give up?

At 8:30 p.m., boys start emerging.

I recover.

But as we snuggle over an episode of SpongeBob, I remember.

Our lesson for the day: Getting back up when you fall down.

Hmmm. My behind isn’t sore for nothing, I suppose. Living this lesson is not as easy as I thought. It’s hard to get back up.

But I will. Over and over again.

Because….

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

Wall clinger.

Skating Lesson.

Setting off.

Those long-legged girls.

Pastor Sharon and me.

Victory!

Snacks.

Games.

More Games.

Even more games.

Comments

That looks like so much fun! Thanks for the lesson today. I CAN do all things through Christ who strengthens me and I CAN get back up. Amen!

Please visit Ang Baylis’s (sp?) blog. Her mom needs prayer ASAP. Thanks.

Blessings and Hugs,
    Nicole

Looks like a lot of fun with the kids!
    A simple lesson and yet sometimes so hard. I’m sorry for your disappointment. And still you are close enough to the Comforter that you heard Him speak loud and clear, letting Him be your strength. You are an example! Please don’t give up!
    The Lord has so much in store for you!
    shanda

You all look like you’re having so much fun.
    I tried to ice skate one time and was so terrible at it. I can (could):) roller skate very well, but couldn’t get the hang of ice skating.
    It’s been SO hot here. In some parts of Okla. it’s been 108 degrees. That ice rink looks pretty inviting.
    I’m sorry for your disappointing news Laura.
    You are such a gifted person. I know God has much in store for you.
    Love,
    Valerie

My heart hurts for your disappointment. Oh, the pain of things not going as we hoped. The Lord is with you and He will continue to teach you and lead your way. His ways are not our ways and that is a very hard thought to process. We cannot see the large picture of the disappointments, the no’s, the delays, the not nows.

You’re a strong woman of faith.

I’ve never ice skated though it looks very interesting. I love the Olympic winter games of ice skating. I did roller skate a bit in my days.
    Love,
    Paula

Hi Laura,

So sorry for your disappointment. I pray that this is only because God has something better in store for you.

Looks like the ice skating was tons of fun. We have one ice skating rink here in San Antonio – we might need to give it try.

Blessings,
    Sandra

Hi Laura,

I have always wanted to try ice skating, so I am living through you…How amazing is God’s timing to give you that ice skating lesson along with a spiritual one.
    I am sorry for your disappointment, friend, but I trust in my soul that it is only because God has something better.:)

God Bless,
    Amy:)

What a fun time and yes, we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us. We must never give up.
    Have a blessed weekend,
    Nancy

I know the pain of an “inbox” and the “mailbox”. I wonder if we share an equal portion? I think, perhaps, we do. If not, then please know that I have tasted deep disappointment over something I thought was clearly given to me, only to have it deferred time and time again.

Today, I’m standing once again. Not because the situation has changed, but simply because my God is the same…

yesterday, today, and forever. He enables me to stand. How I love him.

peace~elaine

Those wispers of “not good enough” are just too loud sometimes. Why do I let those lies drown out the voice of One who loves me? I have let that fear of crushed dreams keep me from risking anything. Will I ever learn the lesson that the fulfilled life He wants for me is full of Him, but also full of risks? Thanks for your honesty.

Looks like today was a perfect day for your ice skating lesson.

It’s hard not to be disappointed when something we want doesn’t happen but don’t give up. He has great things in store for you.