Hiding the Scars

Hello, friends! It’s Tuesday, and that means it’s time for our weekly online Bible study posts. This week, we read two chapters in Lisa Whittle’s book: Behind Those Eyes. Chapter six is entitled, Cosmetics for the Soul; Chapter seven, The Feelings We Conceal. For more on these chapters, visit Lelia’s blog and drop in on some of our fellow travelers.

Lisa opens chapter six with a beautiful story about Concealment. She tells how, when she was working at a cosmetics counter, she was approached by a woman who was badly burned. This sweet woman asked for help in covering the scars on her face. Lisa tells how she worked for “nearly an hour”, using different techniques and products to help the woman.

Don’t you just feel that woman’s shame as she lowered her hood to reveal her disfigured face? Doesn’t your heart cry out at her vulnerability–exposed? Can you imagine the courage it took to lower that veil?

Though we may not carry the physical marks, aren’t we all trying to hide our scars? When we put on that false face, isn’t it a wall—a fortress–to protect some past wound in our souls?

Lisa came to the realization that day that the many women she worked with “were trying to conceal things about themselves in order to hide the truth and escape rejection from others.”

Lisa talks about the Original Sin and how, in the Garden, “the very first thing Adam and Eve did when they sinned against God was to cover themselves with leaves, feeling exposed by their own sin. As a result, the first big cover-up after the world came into existence was what Adam and Eve did in the garden that day. And we have been trying to cover up ourselves, in one way or another, ever since.”

Not only does it not work, it keeps me from working toward healing and reconciliation. I hide from the truth in hope that no one else will guess how ugly my scars underneath those fig leaves are.

Lisa goes on to describe the different ways we let the truth slip through our fingers (The influence of society, Lies by Satan, Poor choices).

But the truth is, there is only One Way to transform our scarred and bruised hearts: through the healing power of God’s Love.

In chapter seven, Lisa talks about the different feelings we try to conceal in our attempts to hide our true self. Insecurity, jealousy, loneliness, and fear are just a few of the ugly emotions that we try to tuck away in our hearts, hoping they will disappear on their own. But they always seep out somewhere along the line if not handled in a godly way.

I love the commentary Lisa cites from the New Living Translation Bible regarding David and Jonathan’s friendship:

1. They based their friendship on commitment to God, not just to each other.

2. They let nothing come between them, not even career or family problems.

3. They drew closer together when their friendship was tested.

4. They remained friends until the end.

Lisa ends the chapter by saying, “Whether we are feeling insecure, jealous, lonely, or afraid, our precious Father desires to hold us and tell us we are worthy, important, gifted, never alone, and never to fear. He longs to uncover these feelings we hide so that we can find out who we are, once and for all…without all the concealer.”

Amen.

(Please visit my sweet friend Ann, Beautiful Heart, to read a true story of Masks.)

Comments

Hey, Laura,

You wrote: “The story of David and Jonathan has always been one of my favorites. These two men loved one another more than they loved themselves. I am always moved to tears when I read of how David mourned after Jonathan’s death, and how he cared for Jonathan’s only son in the years to come.

I think so many people not just women long for that connection with others but totally miss the boat because they fail to fill it with the Father. Wouldn’t this world be a different place if everyone behaved in such a manner?
    Maybe that will be a little bit of what heaven will be like? I don’t know but it does sound wonderful.

Kristy

I like what you said at the end of your post: “He longs to uncover these feelings we hide so that we can find out who we are, once and for all…without all the concealer.” Enjoyed your thoughts. Connie

Ditto for me. To ‘be’ that kind of friend.

Beatiful open heart.
    Blessings, Cindy

Laura, This was beautifully written, as always.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and giving us something to think about and strive towards.

I always like to save your posts for last because they uplift me right as I’m getting ready to fall asleep.

That is you, my friend. He is working through you to bring others hope and inspiration.

Laura,
    I enjoyed this post. I would like to do Lisa’s study. Thanks for your comment 🙂 I thought about the wave today. I did it driving. I know He smiled back at me. Crazy for Him!

Hi Laura,

I like your comment of about David & Jonathans friendship:

“There is no room for insecurity, jealousy, loneliness or fear in a relationship like that. That is the kind of friendship that I want. That is the kind of friend that I want to be. To free my heart up to love in this way, I have to fill it with the Father.”

The simplicity of putting God first…why do we allow it to be so hard??

Great thoughts,
    Kim

“To free my heart up to love in this way, I have to fill it with the Father.”~

I love this statement. And it is so true of all of our relationships. That is exactly what I had to do before God could restore my marriage. I had to be full of Him to be able to have a healthy, happy relationship with Shannon. It is so simple, really, but somehow we (as humans) continue to do everything the hard way.

The covering up with fig leaves reminds me of the bad dreams I have (frequently)…I am in high school, in a classroom, and I look down only to notice that I have no clothes on, so I spend the entire dream trying to cover myself up with notebooks and folders. LOL!:)

And now that I think about it, when I do that “covering up with fig leaves” in real life, I must look just as ridiculous!

You always encourage me with your words.

Much love to you friend,
    Amy:)

Hey Laura~
    What a wonderful post you’ve penned on these chapters.

I especially liked what you said here:

I too…long to uncover the things that hold me back.

Thanks for a post that is causing me to reflect!

Thanks for sharing such a great post!

This is my first visit to your blog and I’ve just read through some of your previous posts. You write so beautifully!

I also loved the part of this chapter that spoke of Christian friendship… an area that I struggle with sometimes.

I love what you said here: “That is the kind of friendship that I want. That is the kind of friend that I want to be. To free my heart up to love in this way, I have to fill it with the Father.”

I am learning…

Thanks for your wonderful post. So glad to be on this journey with you, friend.
    Darlene

Laura,
    Beautfifully said and I agree on all counts. My friendship story – I thought was “David Jonathan” but so much sin got in the way. I love this that you said,
    I am learning this and know that if I had been truly filled with the Father, that friendship of mine would have turned out totally different.
    Thanks for your honest post.

“How many times have I tried to hide behind my fig leaves to cover up the truth of my imperfections?”

I LOVE this statement!

And like you, desire a friendships as pure and true as the friendships of David & Johnathan’s.

Thanks so much for your visit.

I want to have friends, but not sure they will want to be mine when they learn of the baggage I carry. May be I should not tell them. What do you think?

June

Laura,
    I too long for a friendship like David and Jonathan or like the one Lisa described with Colleen. It seems so many of us in this study want that kind of friendship. So, maybe we should all move to the same central location to be that for one another. I have found such loving friendship through blogland that I’ve not had like that face to face. My friends seemed to have disappeared after the initial shock and first say five months of beloved leaving me.

I heart your heart.
    Love,
    Paula

Laura,

I always love your posts, they give me so much to think about.
    “That is the kind of friendship that I want. That is the kind of friend that I want to be. To free my heart up to love in this way, I have to fill it with the Father.” It’s ture so true, I do want a friendship like that, but I to want to be the kind of person that can be that kind of friend. First I have to be able to be that kind of friend, so I can give it to, and I’ll find that in looking towards the Lord for my worth not towards what others see.

Thank you for that.