Making Memories

Some people don’t.

But we do.

We embrace the traditions of Halloween.

Because it is fun.

I have been reading about the history of Halloween.

History.com says:

“Halloween’s origins date back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in).The Celts, who lived 2,000 years ago in the area that is now Ireland, the United Kingdom, and northern France, celebrated their new year on November 1. This day marked the end of summer and the harvest and the beginning of the dark, cold winter, a time of year that was often associated with human death. Celts believed that on the night before the new year, the boundary between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. On the night of October 31, they celebrated Samhain, when it was believed that the ghosts of the dead returned to earth. In addition to causing trouble and damaging crops, Celts thought that the presence of the otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, or Celtic priests, to make predictions about the future. For a people entirely dependent on the volatile natural world, these prophecies were an important source of comfort and direction during the long, dark winter.”

Yes, its beginnings are troublesome.

But, as my sweet friend Janine recently said, “Christians have a wonderful tradition of taking pagan holidays and giving them new meaning of faith.”

Of this, History.com goes on to say:

“By the 800s, the influence of Christianity had spread into Celtic lands. In the seventh century, Pope Boniface IV designated November 1 All Saints’ Day, a time to honor saints and martyrs. It is widely believed today that the pope was attempting to replace the Celtic festival of the dead with a related, but church-sanctioned holiday. The celebration was also called All-hallows or All-hallowmas (from Middle English Alholowmesse meaning All Saints’ Day) and the night before it, the night of Samhain, began to be called All-hallows Eve and, eventually, Halloween. Even later, in A.D. 1000, the church would make November 2 All Souls’ Day, a day to honor the dead. It was celebrated similarly to Samhain, with big bonfires, parades, and dressing up in costumes as saints, angels, and devils. Together, the three celebrations, the eve of All Saints’, All Saints’, and All Souls’, were called Hallowmas.”

Friends, Christians have held these traditions since the 800s!

That said, I celebrate Halloween with my children because it is just plain fun. This tradition gets children exited like other. There is just something magical about playing dress up. Oh, and getting a lot of candy.

We have our own traditions that make it special.

Carving our punkins’.

Lights.

Roasting punkin’ seeds.

Sharing the fun with our church friends.

Yes. The mummy is yours truly. They had so much fun wrapping me in T-paper!

Aren’t they beautiful?

I was really a pirate. Not a gypsy, as my husband insisted on calling me.

My dears, I grew up in a home that did not celebrate many holidays. Of any type. The one time my parents decided to let my siblings and I dress for Halloween was a disaster. What I take away from that these years later is: it is what you make it.

We try to make it about fun. And family.

And chocolate, of course.

Happy Halloween, Dear Ones. And to those who’d rather not, Happy All Saint’s Day.

Love to you all.

Comments

Happy Halloween to you too! We have always made it a fun time for our boys as well. And of course, I love any excuse to indulge in chocolate.;)

And please let me say, you make a gorgeous pirate! I’m thinking you would look great standing next to Jack Sparrow. I’m just saying.;)

Happy Halloween, Laura!
    Big hugs,
    Amy:)

P.S. And who can resist the Charlie Brown Halloween special? *sigh* “I got a rock!” LOL!;)

We always celebrated Halloween while growing up and my kids did too ~ then we fell into that ~it’a a nono trap and didn’t even pass out candy for many years ~ but this year the candy is ready and the pumpkin carving is tonight with our granddaughter ~ I am so excited!!!

Oh, it looks like you had so much fun! We also carved our pumpkins last night with our little one and then baked the seeds… they are sooo yummmmy! I was thinking about painting my belly to be a jack-o-lantern, too. To include baby on the way of course. Thanks for sharing your memories!

GIRL! IT’S ALL ABOUT THE CHOCOLATE!

We have a Family Fall Festival at our church with 18 inflatable, jumpy things, hot air balloon, petting zoo, food, music, puppets, games, fun, and TONS of candy. What a ministry this is! What a safe place for Children to go for Halloween, and when they go they hear about Jesus and they get a coloring book designed by our children’s pastor that talks about Christ where they can understand.

Halloween is an awesome opportunity and so much fun. We look forward to it every fall.

Happy Halloween.
    Kristy

I have a storm trooper and an astronaut making the rounds this year. A boy and girl. You decide who will be what! The fairy costumes didn’t even make the cut. Go figure?! After 3 boys, my little girl was the welcome icing on the cake. Put hold the pink; with three older brothers, she prefers all things wild and on the edge (kindof like her momma).

peace~elaine

I too like to see the costumes of Halloween…especially home made and of course not gorey, evil, monstery.

My niece wanted to be a mummy but all of a sudden she changed her mind. Not sure why. She never supplies her reasonings; she’s seven.
    Love ya,
    Paula

I just love visiting your blog. You have such a wonderful way of putting things. Ya just get me inspired, friend!

Anyway, I love this post. Now that Caleb is in a Christian school, I am actually feeling peer pressure against doing Halloween. This is so strange to me, since, I have come full circle in all of this. As a kid (we were an atheist family), my mom was sooo creative with Halloween, and made it lots of fun. So did our elementary school. But there was one kid in our school who would not come on Halloween, and who did not participate. From a childish perspective, I thought that was just terrible. I did NOT want to be a Christian if it meant you had to be weird (again, child’s perspective). Now, I know Christian’s are to be set apart… so as an adult who believes we are to follow the Bible over the world, I sometimes struggle. But I cannot shake my impressions that I had as an atheist child. I want to be set apart… but I do not want to pour my energies into ‘hating’ Halloween when I am certainly not calling out to the dead. … and, for kids, it really is so much fun.

I really love your post and perspective on this topic. It was very helpful to me.

If, as I pursue asking Him about it, God tells me clearly to stop all this Halloween stuff, I will. But He is not telling me that. Our family chooses not to do any goulish or “dead” stuff or witch stuff.

anyway… rambling. What I meant to say was. thanks for your clarity and perspective on this. It was timely for me!

Darlene

While we do not celebrate Halloween in our home – we do allow our children to dress up as characters. Not necessarily on that day – but in general.

We stay away from candy though…we prefer treats that are more nourishing. 😉

In our home this time of year – we don’t really even talk about Halloween. And, actually even though we live on a main street in the city, we have yet to get any visitors at our house for trick-or-treat.

While, I actually disagree with your position on the holiday – I certainly am in no position or authority to condemn or suggest that you are wrong.

In fact, I praise you for giving the effort to research first and derive your own resolution on the matter.

God bless you and your family, as you enjoy the blessing of each other.

Happy Halloween Laura,

This holiday always brings up so many opinions. Thanks for the history of the holiday. We always felt like we could celebrate the holiday in fun. We never let the boys wear anything too scary or gory.

Laura, I read your post about your childhood…it brought up so many emotions for me. It is so interesting why people choose to “dream” and others do not. I am always amazed by the “inner city” kid who gets full scholorships to become a doctor. And others choose to stay in the same situation that they grew up in.

You are a gifted writer but more importantly you are a treasured sister in the Lord. Your heart shows in all that you write.

I am blessed to have “met” you!

hugs,
    Kim

Hello, my friend….

For many years we did not allow our children to be involved in Halloween. We had a church play on that night every year so it never was a big deal… until they grew into teenagers and were too old to perform in the play. We had to take a good, hard look at it and our convictions. We mostly didn’t do Halloween because of the people in our church told us it was an evil day.

But then we started thinking about it. What’s the motive in what we are doing? Are we agreeing with evil or are our we just allowing our children to dress up, show up at the neighbor’s house with their friends to get a treat? We remembered how we used to dress up and here we are all these years later not obviously cursed or prone to evil. In fact we love God more than ever. We weren’t participating with something evil back in those days. We were just having tons of fun with our friends. So are our kids. They want nothing to do with evil. That’s not why they dress up.

It is a very controversial subject in the Christian community though. Many will not agree with me or with you. But in the end, all that matters is what Papa God thinks and says to us about it all.

It’s interesting to me that Christians can look at someone who is participating in Halloween and see it as sin. Yet how often does judging each other get overlooked?

Each man must do what they find peace with in their hearts, choosing not to judge one who does it differently. After all it’s pretty evident through Scripture that judging others is not acceptable in God’s sight. If one person does not believe God wants them to allow their kids to do Halloween, they shouldn’t… but if someone else has felt the freedom, then they should.

One thing I see in you, Laura, is a desire to follow your God. So, do I. So walk on, dear friend. He knows your heart. If at any point He wants you to change your course, He will make that known to you.

Love ya,
    Julie

I agree, Halloween is what you make it, just like any other holiday is. For me, holidays are great times to spend time as family doing things you don’t normally do, like carving pumpkins, decorating a tree, or hiding easter eggs. And what better time to talk about the different views and cultures of each holiday than when spending the time engaged with each other?

I love this post!!!!
    You have been such an inspiration to me, Laura! Thank you for sharing your family with us!
    Keep having fun, girl! You and your children will treasure the memories. I promise!

Love to you!

Happy, Happy!
    Cheri

Thank you so much for this post. I was thinking about Christmas and how because my dh is out of work we may not have a good one.

How can it not be good? We are celebrating Jesus’ birthday! Your post reminded me that we can make it fun…I’m going to look at cookie recipes this evening…after TRUNK or TREAT.

We’ve always made it a fun time in our home too. When my kids were little we’d take them to all of the elderly members of our church, our neighbors, family members and other people we knew and it just thrilled the people to see the kids all dressed up.

I agree, it’s all about what you make of it. I personally have never liked the really scary things….I can hardly go to a haunted house… they scare me to this day, but….
    it’s all just fun and to each his own. I have great memories as a child going trick-or-treating.

I think it’s great that you have such good experiences with your kids even though you missed a lot in your own childhood. You’re getting to enjoy so much now and passing along great memories that your kids will never forget. I love how God has blessed your life, Laura!

I enjoyed seeing the pictures.
    Thanks for sharing.

Happy Halloween!
    Love,
    Val

Happy Halloween Laura,

Thank you for this post. Halloween is definately a day we celebrate it’s my bday, so all my life I’ve grown up with costume parties trick or treating, and pumpkins. It’s fun I love the festive fun, and I love getting out now and watching my daughter and her friends run from house to house and getting candy.

Hope you have a great time. I’ll be posting pics tomorrow from mine.

Carol

Interesting comments. I am of the opinion that no day that the Lord has made has ever been nor ever will be “evil”. Only man’s actions or opinions on any given day can be labeled as such. Men may do evil things on specific days for their own selfish reasons, but they cannot alter the creation.

My thoughts too! Thank you for putting them down so beautifully. I wish I was at your home to celebrate with you. It looked so warm, and fun, and full of love.