Behind These Eyes

I’m behind on our weekly Bible study….

We’re on the last chapter—sniff—of our study of Lisa Whittle’s book, Behind Those Eyes.

What an amazing journey this has been, friends. I have “met” so many beautiful women through the pages of this book. I have grown to love you all! I hope that one day we will have a huge bloggy meet and greet, and I can give you a big squeeze. Thank you for walking with me on this journey. I think Lisa is a special lady, one who has given her whole heart to God. She inspires me through her writing, both between the pages and on the screen.

Fittingly, our final chapter is called, The Truth Heals.

This entire book has been a challenge to live authentically. This chapter tells me why this is so important. Lisa reminds me that, “God created you exactly the way you are, with your unique personality and temperament, since He is incapable of making a mistake.” (page 169)

This is huge.

If I lived this truth, my life would look extraordinarily different.

Instead of trying to be what I think I “should” be, I would embrace the unique characteristics my Heavenly Father has given me.

Instead of being intimidated by my differences, I would use these gifts to bring out the best in others, or to compliment their gifts.

I am the foot that says, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body”; or the ear who says, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body”. (1 Cor. 12:12-30).

Does that sound strange?

The apostle Paul addressed differences in gifts in 1 Corinthians quite clearly. Apparently, these comparisons are nothing new to human nature. The Lord knows our nature intimately. He determine that we would have assurance of His esteem for all eternity.

Paul says, “But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body.” (1 Cor. 12:18-20)

I am part of a great Plan, orchestrated by The Great Maestro. Though my part be small, it is necessary—and is no less glorious than any other. For Paul goes on to say, “But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.” (vs. 24-26)

Oh, the beauty of such a plan! We are meant to celebrate each other’s differences, dear ones.

What a glorious thought.

Lisa has much more to say, but I will let her words speak for themselves. The above is the one truth that I am leaving this study with.

Behind these eyes is a beautiful woman. It still pains me to say it, but I leave this study with a new determination to honor Him by being the best me I can be. The scales have fallen from my eyes. I am beginning to see myself through His eyes.

I am sure that I will need my eyes examined many more times to retain this value in what lies hidden behind them. I plan to revisit our posts in those times of doubt.

You are just as He planned. And you are beautiful, Beloved.

Thank you for sharing this road of discovery with me.

Stay true to what lies behind those eyes.

Comments

Laura,

You are so right–We are meant to celebrate each other’s differences. Wouldn’t that be great if we ALL could do that??? No more low self-esteem, no more jealousy, no more masks and pretending. I believe it will be a day to day decision to make for myself but I want the peace that will come from the truths we have learned through this book.

It has been so much fun getting to “know” you these past few weeks. You are a blessing!

hugs,
    Kim

~And you are beautiful, Beloved.~

These words gave me goose pimples.

My name (Amy) means beloved. So every time I hear that word, it strikes me personally. As you know, in Scripture, names have so much meaning. The meaning to your name really could spell out your future. Good or bad. (As you probably know, Jabez, was able to overcome his name meaning “born in pain.”)

Anyway, all that to say, when I realized God had me to be named “Beloved,” that He meant that for a reason. And I do have to remind myself often, that He does love me. I am His Beloved. Exactly as I am today, yesterday, and tomorrow.

It’s so hard to comprehend that He loves even me. But He does. He is so good!

So, that being said, let me say back to you, Laura:
    “You are just as He planned. And you are beautiful, Beloved.”

Big Hugs,
    Amy:)

Once again, there is such beauty in your heart… magically transferred into your ‘pen.’

I loved so much of what your said, but this captured my heart today:
    “I am part of a great Plan, orchestrated by The Great Maestro. Though my part be small, it is necessary—and is no less glorious than any other.”

sometimes… I feel insignificant…

But that is a lie. It is not His Truth. It is not THE truth.

I choose to believe HIM.

Thank you, friend.
    Darlene

You are a beautiful woman, Laura and what lies behind your eyes has definately blessed me as we have walked this journey together.

I am so thankful that our paths crossed and pray they will continue to do so.

Bless you my friend, Cindy

I’ve enjoyed this journey with you. This is a wonderful blog that will need to be read periodically. It’s honest and sincere and reveals His truth.

Thank you so much for being part of this group.

Kristy

I can’t believe we are at the end of this journey. 🙁

I have learned so much about the real me and have enjoyed getting to know the real you.

Maybe someday we will get to meet each other,if not here, definitly heaven. 🙂

I’m so thankful to have made it back this way, after spending so much time on Garden Bloggers’ Bloom day blogging and reading.

Are you going to do another Bible study like this? Just reading the last two has been a blessing for me. Why do we compare ourselves to others? I like that reminder to build each other up and celebrate other people’s strengths.

I’m so glad your dinner went well.

I know what you mean about food disappearing…I brought a huge crockpot of brisket to youth group last night and some of those boys had the biggest piles of it on their plates. Teens can eat, that’s for sure.

This study sounds great and I’ve enjoyed reading your comments from each chapter.

I, too, am trying very hard to see myself through His eyes. I love the verses about the body in 1 Cor. 12. We recently read about that and did a one-day study on it in small group. I think it is a struggle to think I am an “arm” so I’m not as good as the “leg”. Yet, just like our physical body that works together, God created the body of Christ so unique that we would fit together for His work. What would He do with thousands of arms?

I so agree with you about being intimidated by my differences. Chapter 9 really helped me to see the blessings in my differences, flaws, and failures.

I love what you said here and I so agree…I am the exact same way and I don’t like to be that way.

“Instead, too many times, I compare my gifts to theirs—and end up feeling that mine do not measure up.”
    luv2u

Laura,
    Beautifully said. I will continue to visit your blog as you bless me with your insights, your words, and your illustrations.
    Trying to be the best me that I can be – too.
    Liz

I just visited your site and read from your most recent post, back to this one.

Let me tell you, you are so gifted. thank you for all the thoughts you shared here, and in our study, and in your other posts…. everything hit me. I wish i could take more time to pour over them. i need to head to bed soon, but I just wanted to thank you for your comment.
    and then I came across all you wrote. Wow. That’s all I can say. You are filling God’s purposes in your life. You are being His hands and feet to your family, those kids, the people to whom you served thanksgiving dinners to…
    and thank you for taking us on your walk with you.
    May God bless you!