Eternal Perspective

We have been out all evening; and when we pull into the drive, bedtime is rapidly approaching. Older son must finish homework. I am fussing with the dirty dishes left on the table, in the sink—abandoned in haste to not be late for evening appointments. That’s when she appears, lifting furry self from lazy sleep that occupies her time when family is out—doleful eyes seeking attention. Lucy Mae needs to go out.

“Would you please run Lucy Mae around the house?” I throw at smallest son, not wanting to break the rhythm of this scrubbing and shining.

His eyes grow big as he looks out the window at the fast approaching darkness.

“Not me!” He exclaims. “I’m too scared!”

He has been having these fears of late; fear of darkness, fear of burning house, fear of mom or dad being in an accident. I remember his brother going through the same at his age, and know we must ride this out.

But still, I sigh heavily as I put up the dishcloth.

Lord? Time is so precious.

He is more precious. This is the response I hear.

Mustering, I turn to small one.

“Oh, one of my favorite things is go outside at night. There is nothing to be afraid of. It’s so beautiful. It’s one of my favorite times to talk to God.”

“Really?” Face is doubtful.

I gently take his hand. Together we go.

When we step out onto the porch, I look up.

He looks up too.

“The first thing I do when I step out here is look up at the sky. And I always say, ‘Wow, God!’”

It is a beautiful clear night and the stars are showing off just for my son.

We walk around the house, Lucy Mae leading the way.

Touch him, Lord, I pray silently.

Darkness envelopes, but there is this Light.

“What do you do next?” He questions.

“Oh, I just talk to God. I’ve been talking to Him this whole time.”

He looks a bit skeptical.

“Not out loud, of course. Usually when I am with someone, I just talk to God in my head.”

He laughs.

“Yeah. They might think you’re weird, otherwise.”

“But that’s one of the neat things about talking to God. Even when you are not alone you can talk with Him privately. He hears every thought in your head. I have amazing talks with Him when I am in the middle of people all the time.”

Lucy pulls on leash. I move into the meadow, but Jeffrey hangs back.

“I’ll stay back here if you want to talk to God out loud now,” he says.

I move forward and look up. Praises soar.

I close my eyes and hear the sounds of night. But I hear something else too.

On the edge of the meadow, I hear his whispers.

He is talking earnestly to God.

When I move closer, he quiets.

Then he runs.

Around the house.

And back inside.

I stand.

Alone, but not.

The night air tickles my skin.

Dishes still sit in sink. Table needs cleared. Floor is sticky.

But I have just witnessed God’s touch.

And all these things can wait.

Because time is precious.

Comments

Those fleeting things we chase every day – no matter how grand a scale – pale in comparison to the knowledge of the very person of God.

“…but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD…” Jeremiah 9:24

“…for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day.
    2 Timothy 1:12″

“For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.” Philippians 1:6

Hey, Girl,

My house is in a constant state of disaster. What isn’t being remodeled by my husband is being upended by my son and daughter. Sometimes I get so uptight about it all. I use to have everything so nicely decorated and everything in its place…then children came into the pictures. And everything changes. My priority like your’s have changed. No longer is the spotless house of Better Homes and Gardens the highest on the list, but rather the a clean heart and teaching that to our children. No longer reading novels, but rather we’re reading stories to our children instilling the values we want them to have.

Solitute and peace and quiet is rare to find my home, but when it’s present what a jewel! And then there are those times like you shared with your little boy, showing and teaching him real life examples of how to find peace in dark and in fear. That is even a more precious jewel that you can be so proud of.

Thanks for sharing.

Kristy

Well said, Laura. Time is definitely precious. I have a cross stitch hanging in my dining room that I made when Matthew was born that says, “Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow, for babies grow up, we’ve learned to our sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs, dust go to sleep. I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.”

God Bless,
    Amy:)

You will look back on this precious moment and smile again and again! I think the Lord will have many smiles as He remembers it as well.

How beautiful! A momma teaching her little one to pray!

Looking back, I can’t remember one time that I wished I had kept doing the dishes!
    Time gets away so fast!

This is wonderful, Laura. I know that you are so glad you listened to the call…to commune with your son and the Son.

Thank you for your last comment on my blog. It was very precious to me and meant a lot to my heart.

Love ya,
    Paula

I have a little surprise on my blog for you. 😉

What a precious story and what an awesome opportunity. May this be a reminder to all of us to seize every chance we get and not worry so much about dishes, our messy house etc.

I’ll say it one more time….you are an awesome mom!

Love,
    Valerie

What a precious moment. I always tell myself that God only gives them to us while they are little for a short while, take advantage of every moment. Not just for us, but for them. Those wonderful teachable moments.

So beautiful.

Time well spent. Night walks are God’s revealing. I’ve walked my share, both in faith and in fear. Sometimes it’s easier to find him in the dark. His light is ever more needful then, don’t you think?

Beautiful picture.

peace~elaine

That “floor is sticky” comment was for me wasn’t it?? 🙂

Oh what a sweet moment. The Lord has been after me to enjoy my children more. As always, your posts hit me right between the eyes of my heart.

Thanks for your sweet email…I’ll be replying shortly.

Oh. Oh.

The tears came when your son stood back so you could talk out loud to God. Wow!
    Then he did too.
    Oh Laura, this really touched my heart. I am so guilty of focusing too much on what’s keeping me busy instead of what needs me to unbusy myself and give my attention fully to her. To him.
    Thank you for this post. I pray it stays embedded in my mind.
    love,
    Lelia

I too was touched by your son’s sensitivity to step back and let you talk to God, only then to be moved again by his response to God, too!

I will remember this the next time I find myself more concerned with my “To Do” list… thank you.

You have a true gift in the way you capture the moment and put it into words!
    Awesome! I hope you keep writing, it is very inspiring!!!!!

That truly made my night… and it also brought a smile in remembering my own little teachable moments shared with my daughters.

Tracy

Oh, Laura, those beloved and unforgettable moments with our children and with our God. Thanks for sharing, for inspiring, and for reminding. As always, you touch my heart.

Oh my friend, this is amazingly beautiful. I love reading your heart. It is so stunning.

Hope you are doing well. I am recovering from my laptop (where I do all my writing) being accidentally dropped and broken. Papa God is speaking to my heart in the midst, but I surely was sad to lose it. It was a gift from a dear friend who believed in my writing.

Deut 6:6 – you are passing on to your boy what’s on that beautiful heart of yours…my older three are going and I have a 17-year-old still at home but most all of those chapters in my life have been closed. I would have loved to have walked under the stars with one of mine last night and shared my heart. Enjoy the moments as they fly by…enjoy your God!