Home

Every evening, we pile into our Big Bed and read. We’ve been marching through Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings for a little while. Each night we chip away at this epic journey.

Last night, there was this:

“Frodo said nothing, but he put his hand under his tunic and touched the rings of his mail-shirt. He felt staggered to think that he had been walking about with the price of the Shire under his jacket. Had Bilbo known? He felt no doubt that Bilbo knew quite well. It was indeed a kingly gift. But now his thoughts had been carried away from the dark Mines, to Rivendell, to Bilbo, and to Bag End in the days while Bilbo was still there. He wished with all his heart that he was back there, and in those days, mowing the lawn, or pottering among the flowers, and that he had never heard of Moria, or mithril—or the Ring.”

I pause—let the weight of these words press down.

“Mom, in all the good stories, the main character is always thinking about home—wanting to go back home.”

I study his face…he is pondering this observation…wondering at its significance.

I, too, puzzle out loud:

“I wonder what it will take for us to appreciate our homes. Twenty years from now, you boys will look back on this moment…”

“…and we’ll miss our home, and our mom, and our dad.”

Littlest One finishes the thought for me.

He snuggles closer.

Time stands still.

I catch my breath. For this thought staggers me; that this moment—this season of reading in the Big Bed–will be over far too soon.

This indescribable longing fills me.

And I know that it is a longing for home. I am a character in this epic journey, and my heart yearns for home.

The place where the passing of time holds no fear. Here, as seasons change, relationships only grow deeper. There is no unseen thief to steal precious moments such as these of the Big Bed.

I am longing for my heavenly home.

Here will be the end of the epic journey. There will be no need for longing…our souls will be fulfilled. We will have arrived at the place of rest.

My heavenly home has a Big, Big Bed. Room enough for a few more…

No need to miss my Father.

He’ll be snuggled up with us.

Comments

Almost there with you, in that moment. Such glimpses we’re given…not fully, yet nearly close to the real thing. And when they involve the minds and hearts of our children, all the more.

My older sons well remember our nights around the bed, reading all the Harry Potter’s together as a family, even portions of the final book. I will always treasure those moments of relationship and am just beginning to carve out reading time with my younger ones who long for the same.

PS: Just wondering how the writing project is going. When you have time, shoot me an email.

peace~elaine

oooooooooooo me too, longing for home and longing for nights in the big bed. I wonder where my two are this Friday night – one on his college campus – partying, working, ??? The other – hopefully having a date night with his darling wife. One thing is for sure: their time at home passed way too fast! I loved your post – always do.

Such memories of home! We all sat on the floor together and around the fireplace in the cold months… on our bellies, chins in our hands, lost in the imaginations of childhood. My big brother even took over as he got older and I remember so vividly him reading “The Chronicles of Narnia”.

As sweet as those memories are I love how you point to our Father. Can we even imagine, even us dreamers, what heaven will really be like??? What a lovely way to drift off to sleep…

Goodnight friend!

Wonderful. Sometimes I long for that face to face moment with my God. Other times I long for it to be put off, for very selfish purposes. Yet to know He is with me now—well it just staggers me sometimes.

I know sometimes I look around and wonder where the time has gone. It’s so hard to believe I have grown, adult children. I can’t wait now for the day I can cuddle up with my grandchildren and read to them. I need to nudge someone to get busy, huh? 😉

This post made my eyes water. Your kids are so grateful to have such a wonderful mom.

I’m glad you received your book in the mail. I am really enjoying it.
    Yesterday I was on pages 57 – 60 and it was just what I needed for that day. I hope you enjoy it as well.

Have a blessed weekend!
    Love,
    Val

I treasure memories of reading to my kids and they treasure those times as well.

Recently our oldest son found a book that he loves and asked if he could come over and share it with us, reading it out loud as a family. Oh, that blessed me! He is 29……..I felt as if I was reaping! We have long outgrown the “Big Bed” moments but this was so special to us.

When he began to read to us the other day, he read with such passion from his heart. I could hardly hear the story………..my mind kept slipping back to our past. When I would come back to the present I kept marveling at the wonder of it………..my son sharing a beloved book with me.

There is no place like home………………to share a good story!

Thank you for sharing your family treasure box. So many hearts are touched through your gift.

Blessings,
    Cheri

oh Laura,
    You brought a few tears to my eyes in this post! I always read to my boys when they were younger–and I really miss those “big bed” moments! Hang on to them–they really do pass quickly!

And then to “tie” it all up into our heavenly “big bed” was just awesome!! You made my heart skip a beat when you wrote:

AMEN!
    hugs,
    Kim

“And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death,nor sorrow,nor crying. There shall be no more pain….” Rev.21:4
    But there will be love and a complete peace that only Jesus can give. Oh I just can’t wait!! Thank you for blessing me with this post this morning. Thank you so much!

Yes, the years fly by don’t they?

Sometimes I ache so deeply for that place called home, where all tears will be wiped away and we will live in the circle of fellowship forever…

Loved this post, friend,
    Hugs,
    Julie

Laura,
    This was such a beautiful post (they all are…) I felt like I was snuggled in that bed bed with you guys. They grow up so fast, don’t they? *Sigh*

I love that you have started such a wonderful tradition with them – this is something that they will never forget and hopefully they will carry it on when they grow up and have children of their own.

Home…it’s where my LORD is. But others are there too. My grandparents and my dad, my father-in-law and several friends. Oh how I long to see them again. But most of all I long to be prostrate in the presence of my LORD.