Perfectly Imperfect

It’s Tuesday…Time for our weekly Bible study of Lisa Whittle’s book, Behind Those Eyes. To read more thoughts on this week’s reading, visit our lovely hostess, Lelia.

We Are Completely Flawed Yet Forgiven Completely.

Let those words roll around in your mind a moment. Let them sink in.

Do they mean the same thing to you that they mean to me?

Did you spend years, like me– in an unhappy relationship—trying to be the perfect someone that you thought would make that other someone love you?

Did it work?

Let me tell you, friend, I have learned this one first hand. I have lived it and worn it, have learned from it, have had nightmares about it, have tried to forget…

There is One who loves me just the way I am.

He doesn’t ask me to be someone else.

He loves me when I wake up in the morning with no makeup on.

He loves me with that extra five pounds I just can’t seem to get rid of.

He loves me when I succeed.

He loves me when I fail.

He loves me always.

I can never be enough.

I can never be patient enough.

I can never be pretty enough.

I can never keep a clean house enough.

Or make enough money.

Or cook enough of the right foods.

Exercise enough.

Laugh enough.

There’s just not enough.

Because I am completely flawed.

And so is the person I am trying to please.

Lisa tells us on page 156, “Even when we are the best self we can ever be in our own strength, we are still influenced by our fleshly and sinful tendencies.”

Lisa cites the apostle Paul’s own struggle with this from Romans 7:29-21: “When I want to do good, I don’t; and when I try not to do wrong, I do it anyway. Now if I am doing what I don’t want to, it is plain where the trouble is: sin still has me in its evil grasp. It seems to be a fact of life that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong.” (TLB)

Paul goes on to say in verse 25, “Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord…”
Amen?

I love the story that Lisa tells about her son Graham. I often wish that I could accept God’s love and forgiveness the way a child does—so pure and true. We can learn a lot from these young ones and how they readily accept on our word that they are forgive. That they are loved.

I’m closer than I was yesterday to getting there, Dear Ones. But I still have a long way to go.

Thank you, Lisa. This chapter was a beautiful gift.

Blessings to all.

Comments

So wonderful. This goes right along with where God took me in a study book I opened today. I just finished a post for tomorrow about the truths I reread. Such contentment when we look for our all in Him.

Yes, Laura, this was a very good chapter. I love the revelation of the deep connection between being flawed and forgiven. The necessity of being flawed brings me relief…kind of letting myself off the hook for being flawed. I so agreed with Lisa when she spoke of many times feeling like she had a Kick Me sign on her back and she was the first in line to do it. That’s me for sure. Kicking myself for my flaws when I need to be rejoicing over the opportunities the flaws bring: to be a better me and to be forgiven.

Love ya,
    Paula

I know that when I was really struggling in my marriage, that I thought all of these “imperfect” thoughts about myself….If only I were a better wife, mother, prettier, more patient, etc., etc., then every thing would be better in my relationship with my husband. It took me a long time to realize that I would never be “enough” for him, nor him for me….Only God could fill that gap.

It seems so simple in theory, but boy, oh boy is it hard to learn.

I wanted to tell you that I posted your cross stitch picture today. I hope that you like it.

Big hugs,
    Amy:)

I read an amazing scripture in Song of Solomon today:

“All beautiful you are, my darling; there is no flaw in you.”

To know that is how He sees us………..it must be love!

Loved your post!

Blessings,
    Cheri

Laura,

Like the list. Been there, done that, ended up the one washing the t-shirt. I can say that my marriage has been in a growth spurt this past year. I kept wanting to blame him when in reality I needed to be looking to God to fill the needs I was wanting my husband to fill. It’s amazing, once I took that off my husband he felt freer to work on our marriage.

I am so thankful for the unconditional love of One.

Kristy

Hi, I found you, I think, through Grey Like Snuffie. I like your blog. I am not familiar with this Bible study, but sure like this lesson. I am so thankful for God’s love in spite of my imperfections. When I first read Romans 7 and 8, I could so identify with it, and still do. Praise God for his forgiveness and love!

Laura,
    Great post and absolutely the truth. I am flawed, so flawed and there is just not enough of any of that stuff in me. I will always fail. But, like Paula, the necessity of being flawed does bring relief, and I am ever so grateful that I can admit that I NEED Him. And He forgives me, flaws and all…COMPLETELY!

You are right Laura, we all have a long way to go and this chapter was beautiful.

Accepting God’s forgiveness has been easier for me than trusting in His love but I think, with the help of this study, I am getting there.

You are a beautiful woman and I appreciate your writings.
    Blessings, Cindy

As always, a beautiful post that grabs the heart of the matter. We are never enough. HE IS always Enough.

The I AM is.

Love your words, and so blessed to be on this journey with you!
    Darlene

Loved what you wroted here:
    “I learned the hard way that whenever I try to live to please another human being, I will somehow fail.”

AMEN!!!
    Daily part of my struggle of dying to self.

Thank you for the reminder that I am flawed, and so is the person I am trying to please.
    He is completely forgiven and so am I. Seems like I need to extend that grace to him too, doesn’t it? Extend that forgiveness. Its really hard sometimes.
    I loved this chapter. though it was really hard working through the study guide. I think that was the hardest for me.
    God bless,