Christmas Pause

“I keep praying, but it’s not helping.”

I sat on the edge of his bed and rubbed his back. It was 2 a.m. Earlier, he shared that he had prayed for God to keep him from puking.

“Because I hate to puke, God.”

That prayer was not answered.

Now, he lies in bed, back to me…a pitiful thing.

“Um…oh, well…sometimes God likes us to learn by going through troubles.”

“You mean by making us better?”

“By being with us through them.”

“But God can do anything. Why doesn’t He make me better?”

“I don’t know sweetie. Maybe He wants to be your comfort. Do you feel Him?”

Long pause.

“Sometimes I do. But I don’t right now.”

“Well, He is here.”

My house is in a fog of sickness. Little Jeffrey started last night. Now all three of my guys have succumbed to the stomach virus. I don’t know why I’ve been spared, but I’m too sleep-deprived to do anything about it.

There is still shopping that needs done, gifts that need wrapped, and I have a twenty pound turkey in the fridge waiting for a company of twelve to have Christmas dinner here on Thursday.

I feel like I must fumigate first.

Despite all that needs doing…

Peace permeates.

In my quiet time yesterday, I read Job 29. In this chapter, Job is describing the high standing he once enjoyed among men.

But I couldn’t help reading his words as describing the Lord.

V24—“When I smiled at them, they scarcely believed it; the light of my face was precious to them.”

Oh, Lord of my heart, when you smile at me, I can scarcely believe it. You take my breath away. The light of your face is precious to me.

In the midst of this sickness, You have revealed yourself in the sweetest of ways.

My Comfort. My Strength.

Thank you.

I love you.

In Jesus’ precious name, Amen.

Comments

oh, it’s so hard when they question and are trying to understand. My first thought, this is your body’s way of ridding itself of bad stuff, sometimes God answers but we don’t like the way He chooses to answer.

Praying for health to abound, strength to be found, rest to be had, that turkey to get cooked, family to be enjoyed and peace to be felt in the midst of it all as He gets you through. BIG cyber HUG!

Very powerful! Precious friend. He comes in the midst of life – to the poor, the disadvantaged, the rejected, the forgotten, AND to even us- the sick. May the virus be gone by Christmas day!

I’m sorry to read that your guys aren’t feeling well.

What a great way to explain why God doesn’t always answer,the way we would like.

May your Christmas be a blessing beyond what you see.

love,
    Tammy

Precious, Laura. Just precious. I’ve been struggling with unanswered prayers of recent. Something as simple as healing a sick child or simply preventing him from “puking”. Why doesn’t He answer? I can see the big picture and I can guess some reasons that people die, fatal illness strikes us, jobs are lost. I can SEE some of the reason and gain but SOME of the little things distraught my mind also.

I can only imagine the difficult job you have of trying to describe the reasons to a young pup. If we older pups of 30+ year can’t fully grasp it, how can a young pup?

Reading about your family and how you are a loving mother and wife, makes me love you all the more. You are also a very loving Child….child of God.

I pray your peace sustains you as you cook, wrap, prepare, comfort, and all you do.

If I were in your parts, I’d be there by now wrapping, cooking with ya. I might have to pass on cleaning up the pukkies. 🙂

Forgive me for the long burdening email I just sent you this morning. I didn’t realize all you had on your plate.
    Love you,
    Paula

Oh, Laura, I am so sorry your guys having the puking virus…I am with your son…it IS the worst!! I LOVE how you have seen the Lord in the midst of it, though! He IS there…sometimes (especially in sickness fogs) it can be very hard to sense Him.

Praying for a quick healing to cover your home!!

We have conversations like that in my house too. When my kids cry out for me to help them, I tell them say, “Jesus give me strength”.
    It’s draining sometimes hearing them suffer. They pray and yet they are still sick. It makes them question His presence and care. What great opportunities for us to seek His heart for answers. Because a day comes for us when we too cry out for His deliverance and yet we are still left in the circumstances. Our little ones lead us to carefully consider what we know, and believe.
    One day we will need to remember too, that even when things don’t prove it, He is still with us…He is still caring for us, and is each and every moment good…

I LOVED that verse and what He showed you. I have not ever read that before. It blessed me so!

I pray you are spared of the sickness.

Hugs & Love sent your way.
    Julie

I have found often, healing comes in the most unsuspecting ways – when we least want to – worship Him…

My Healer

You hold my every moment
    You calm my raging seas
    You walk with me through fire
    And heal all my disease

I trust in You
    I trust in You

I believe You’re my Healer
    I believe You are all I need
    I believe You’re my Portion
    I believe You’re more than enough for me
    Jesus You’re all I need

My Healer, You’re my Healer

Nothing is impossible for You
    Nothing is impossible for You
    Nothing is impossible for You
    You hold my world in Your hands.

Psalm 103:1-3
    Let all that I am praise the Lord;
    with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name.
    Let all that I am praise the Lord;
    may I never forget the good things he does for me.
    He forgives all my sins
    and heals all my diseases.

It is hard to understand why things happen as they do.
    Some things we’ve had going on these past few weeks certainly made me wonder…not really question, but definitely wonder why? In the midst of it all, God has given us peace…a peace that passeth all understanding.
    I thought you gave your son a very good answer. God so wants us to lean on Him in every situation.
    I’ll keep your family in my prayers. I’m praying you don’t get it next.
    Love ya,