Dancing with God

birthday-rain-016

…Water is always an invitation to immersion [for me], an immersion with a quality of totality, since it would accept all of me, as I am. Some primal urge invites me to return whence I came.”

At times I have done so. There is some special delight in simply walking into a stream, stepping into a lake. The child’s delight in a puddle is my adult’s in the sea…No rain falls that I do not at once hear in the sound of the falling water an invitation to come to the wedding. It is rare that I do not answer. A walk in an evening rain in any setting is to walk in the midst of God’s loving attention to his earth, and, like a baptism, is no simple washing, but a communication of life. When you hurry in out of the rain, I hurry out into it, for it is a sign that all is well, that God loves, that good is to follow. If suffering a doubt, I find myself looking to rain as a good omen. And in rain, I always hear singing, wordless chant rising and falling.

When rain turns to ice and snow I declare a holiday. I could as easily resist as stay at a desk with a parade going by in the street below. I cannot hide the delight that then possesses my heart. Only God could have surprised rain with such a change of dress as ice and snow…

Most people love rain, water. Snow charms all young hearts. Only when you get older and bones begin to feel dampness, when snow becomes a traffic problem and a burden in the driveway, when wet means dirt—then the poetry takes flight and God’s love play is not noted.

But I am still a child and have no desire to take on the ways of death. I shall continue to heed water’s invitation, the call of the rain. We are in love and lovers are a little mad.”                —Matthew Kelty, Flute Solo, Reflections of a Trappist Hermit

I awaken this morning once again to soft patter of rainfall on the roof. It has been raining here for several days. The moisture in the air creates a white cloak over the mountains–misty air like the breath of God…

I arise and move to window. Stare out at the glistening streets, lights reflected in the glassy surfaces of this place where I live.

It stirs me.

Beckons.

His breath touches me in this moisture settling on my skin.

This gentle thrumming rain soothes…gives comfort in this bleak winter day.

I move to this rhythm. Hear the “singing” in her voice. Folding laundry, cleaning our space; pausing frequently to gaze out at life falling from sky.

The “change of dress” occurs mid-day as temperatures drop throughout. My eyes feast on falling snow.

Ah, sweet baptism.

Lucy Mae and I step out, let these bits of His love shower over.

And I feel like dancing…spinning…twirling in this joy falling down.

All of nature moves in step with the beat that He measures. His hand keeps perfect time.

then the poetry takes flight and God’s love play is not noted.

Let me see it, Father. Let me see your love play in all things.

Comments

I have visions of children playing in the rain. Twirling. Lifting arms to the sky. Face turned into the rain. The vision of how little kids just love to stomp their feet into mud puddles. What is that kids love to make the puddle of water go splash. There is much beauty in God’s rain. God’s snow. God’s nature. (Even if rain makes for a terrible hair day.)
    We have snow here today..just flurries and a dusting on the ground…enough moisture to cause ice on vehicles.

Love ya, sweet one.
    Paula

Oh I love this!
    I love the rain, and get to walk in it too infrequently. I LOVE walking in it. I haven’t been able to do it for a while. Because I really like walking in the rain/snow at night. Invariably, walking in it at night brings me into closer communion with God. As I commune with Him, I find that pretty soon, my tears are mingling with the moisture coming down from heaven. Night time shrouds what is happening on my face, and not as many people are out and about, so i feel free to walk and talk out loud to God, and cry or do whatever I need to, to let the emotions stirred up, out.

One blessed night this past summer… My parents were here, taking our bedroom. My kids were in the other bedroom, I was sleeping on the couch and my husband was in his office downstairs. Late that night, it started to rain. About midnight. I had been sleeping, but woke to a few flashes of lightning, and then steady rain. I grabbed hooded sweatshirt, and out I went. I walked and cried and prayed for about an hour at least (our neighborhood is a safe place to go). Came in, dried off and slept the best I have had in a long time.

Anyway, it is “flurrying” here tonight, and I might escape for a short walk before my husband goes to work 3rd shift. Just to get out and process and pray!

Thanks for this reminder, and thanks for you sweet comments over on my blog.
    God bless,
    heather

Laura,

When my mom was fighting Stage 3 breast cancer, she chose the verse Jeremiah 29:11 and the saying, “Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass. It’s about learning to dance in the rain.” So, may we all dance…

BTW,on facebook look for Kristy Timmons Mullins. I don’t know what your last name is to look for you on Facebook.

His Daughter,

Kristy

I remember wanting to go out and play in the rain, but my mom usually said it was too cold or something. I’ll never forget the day when we were on vacation at my great aunt and uncle’s farm. I was a teenager, standing on a road, where I could see rain advancing from one direction, and it paused over the road. I went back and forth in and out of it, as it seemed to not be in a great hurry. Thanks for causing me to remember that awesome event!

I liked the poems.

Note every bit of God you can, sweet friend!

I feel as if I’ve come back to life….no snow to be baptized in, but I’ll let the beams of sunshine be a smiling substitute! 🙂 Love you…

It’s been good catching up on your posts… Firstly, your Son looks very handsome in his new specs – I had warm fuzzies as I read your response to his difficulty in reading… you are such a beautiful Mum. We can’t know EVERYTHING about our children, and can only do our best. I love how he said he could “see into the future”!!! What a grand sense of humour! Secondly, please go play in some snow flakes for me – whirl and twirl and dance about! How lovely…

Wow…I have God-skin. I just read a sweet post on Nana 2 Four and your post beats with the same rhythm so I want to share the visual I have from ready the two delightful posts this morning.

I quote from what I left previously:

Woo hoo Girlfriend! I have this visual as I was reading your post that He and I, He and YOU, in The Dance. He is the one and only PERFECT dance partner, and He MUST have the lead.

Pursuing and LOVING JESUS MORE IN 2009!

Yolanda

Your post was soothing! I don’t think I have ever said that on a comment. Powerful calming feeling as I read the words. I could have danced all night. B

Once again, you take me to a place I long for and I love and appreciate being able to share and see the world through your eyes!!!
    Thank you, friend!

Laura,

Please forgive me, for I feel like I am always saying the same thing to you after reading your posts – my vocabulary not being as extensive as yours; but, you never cease to amaze me with your beautiful words.

Take care and God bless!

You paint a breath-taking picture here. Truly poetry in motion. My heart is stirred by the canvas of your words. All creation is praising Him.

His,
    Joy

[Imagine me laughing my head off…] I responded to the comment you made on my blog, on MY blog, instead of here!!! What I said was, we say that things come in threes too, and guess what happened to my iron the other day??? POOF! Thanks for sending prayers up for us! You are a darling!

What a refreshing visit – wish you lived down the street so we could walk our poochies together. If you lived down the street I would drop in to share boy stories too- gotta come over and hear the funny about my boy. You will laugh!

achingly beautiful. You paint such as amazing picture with your writing.

just stopped over from Ann’s, and I’ll be back to read more on this wonderful blog of yours.

Katrina