New Shoes

My boys are hard on shoes, friends.

The other day, I looked down at Jeffrey’s feet, and this is what I saw.

The boy needed new shoes.

Not only were the things on his feet old and ratty looking, but his big toe was poking out on his right foot.

When I suggested we go get some new shoes after church, he got all bent out of shape.

But my old shoes are comfortable, mommy—says he.

How can these ratty ‘ol things be comfortable?—I wondered.

We set out to find some new shoes.

Kohl’s was having a sale (aren’t they always?) and we found this pair of cute running shoes that he was willing to try. They were a full size bigger than the old ones—the poor guy was literally bursting out of those old shoes.

These shoes seemed to satisfy my youngest son.

Until it came time to go to school this morning. Then, of course, he wanted to wear the old ones.

But these shoes are comfortable, mommy—says he.

As I helped wrestle him into his shiny new shoes, I told him about breaking them in, and getting used to how they feel.

I once again wondered how those old shoes could be comfortable.

Weren’t his toes cramped? Didn’t his feet get wet through the holes?

Didn’t he know that these would be much much better?

In the midst of my ponderings, I think I heard God clear His holy throat.

How often have I refused to wear my new shoes?

How many old behaviors do I cling to long after I’ve outgrown them?

Whether it’s changing the way that I speak, the way that I eat, the way that I spend my time…

Sometimes it’s just more comfortable to wear those old shoes.

God patiently wrestles me into the new ones, telling me about breaking them in and getting used to them.

He whispers in my ear, “Don’t you know this new way is so much better?”

I’m listening, Lord.

I don’t want to be cramped and exposed to harsh elements because I refuse to step out of my comfort zone, friends.

I’m trying on some new shoes. I’m breaking them in.

They’re starting to feel pretty good.

And there seems to be a new bounce in my step…I’m walking in the Light.

This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.”—1 John 1:5-7

Comments

Just this morning I found myself praying and asking the Lord to take me out of my comfort zone. I sense and know that there are some areas in my life that He is really stirring up. I want so much to for Him to work in me and through me and I suppose it means that I have to to be willing to put on those new shoes He has for me. Thanks for the encouragement!

Your post has reminded me of God’s amazing provision for the Israelites, “During the forty years that I led you through the desert, your clothes did not wear out, nor did the sandals on your feet.” Deut. 29:5 Pretty amazing when you think of it in terms or replacing our children’s shoes.

No matter what my footwear, may I follow so close that my shoes are covered in His dust and may my feet be fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. (Eph 6:15)

Walking with Him,
    Joy

I wonder how many wonderfully glorious things I have missed because I choose to stay “comfortable” rather than put on those new shoes and tread upon a unknown path.

Choices – we all have them, don’t we! Blessings,
    Denise

“New Shoes”-I need to put mine on…I know I need to put mine on…

Thanks for your post…It’s really encouraging to me, even though I’m stubborn.

Your post is so encouraging. I am battling taking off the old and placing on the new and this is the perfect image that I needed. Thank you for sharing!

Okay, Laurra, this hit me between the eyes. With what I am dealing with in my own heart, He is teaching me to walk in the new way. Boy, I sure like the comfortable old! But it is just not suitable anymore. I can’t thank you enough for sharing this, because it is just GOd’s voice confirming to me to keep on breaking in the new…and before long, the new will be my comfort.

Great comparison..shoes and our relationship with the Lord! Thank you for signing up for my giveaway!

Hope your sons shoes are comfy like the old soon!
    -sandy toe

Very good analogy and great way to tying your son’s shoes to our walk with God. No pun in the word tying, if ya caught that. hehe

I could see the hole in his right shoe where his big toe was bursting forth.

You are so right that we can retrack back to our old ways until we set into our new ways and they become the norm, the comfy way. It’s hard though. I hear it takes 30 days to make anything a habit. I wonder if we take what God wants for us and practice one principle or one habit in 30 days if we could accomplish 12 different new habits in one year?

Comfy is good but ya know great great things come when we step out of the comfy box, our comfort zone, and we grow…growing pains. I guess that show Growing Pains wasn’t called that for no reason.

Love ya,
    Paula

Ok, you cried when you read my blog about my son moving out and I laugh with tears when I read yours…how many times I refuse to wear my new shoes before God…I read God’s holy throat clearing, I could hear it, and wham…right up side of my head!
    And your two little guys bring back such sweet memories of mine when they were younger. Embrace the time you have, but I will say, it is fun when they are grown. I was just telling my oldest yesterday…the hard part is over, now we can just me mother and son! He agreed.

Ain’t that the truth, my friend…ain’t it the truth.

Once again, you have inspired me with you wonderful analogy.

I don’t think He cleared his throat for me though…..I think He is now to the point of conking me over the head 😉 – guess that means I’m just a little hard headed, huh? Good thing He already knows that about me and loves me anyway. 🙂

I have had many “friendly” discussions with God myself about my “comfortable” zone. I love how God speaks to you, Laura.
    You always encourage me.
    I read a verse on a friend’s blog this morning that I think you might like too. It spoke to me this morning, because I have not been feeling “comfortable” with where my heart has been lately. I seem to be at my wit’s end sometimes in the faith department. So, this morning, as you said, God cleared His throat.;)

“You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you, there is more of God and His rule.” (Matthew 5:3 MSG)

Amen?

(((BIG HUGS!)))
    Amy:)

I can so relate to this one, Sister! My boys were not into new shoes! My girl was and still is! In fact she was not only into her new shoes but mine until the day when her precious feet could no longer squeeze themselves into mine.

I feel as if the Lord has assigned some new shoes for me too. I am taking off my army boots for a while and putting on my ballerina slippers.

I love your post. Thank you for sharing.

Love you,
    Cheri

i’m going through this exact same thing right now…I am terrified of change…”what if i’m not happy?” “what if I was really doing better where I was?” i’m looking at a HUGE MOVE and lifestyle change probably by this time next year….

Can I ever relate to Jeffrey and his comfy shoes.
    I am learning….I’m growing….
    but it has taken me years to begin
    to branch out and try new things.
    I’ve always been so quiet and shy and have hated to get up in front of people. Last night God blessed me with confidence to get up in front of 34 ladies as we began the Bible study of Esther. I can remember back a few years ago I’d get so nervous my voice would shake.
    Thank you for sharing such a great analogy. You always do that so well!
    Love ya Laura!
    Valerie

I’ve written about new shoes on my blog too. Can’t remember when. But I SOOO relate to the Holy Spirit’s message about the old and the new. So relate to kids and even myself wanting the worn out shoes, what’s comfortable.

I love this truth and the pictures and your heart in this post. I’m overjoyed!

Thank you, thank you.

Walking out my day with HIS shoes,
    Tiffany

I really needed to hear this, Laura! I’ve been refusing to put on some new shoes too! Actually I wear them ‘out’ but put my ol’ comfy and ratty ones on when I get home! Why are we nicer to those outside and willing to ‘look’ godlier than we are at home?

thanks for shedding light on this…oh, that reminds me, my boys need new shoes too…off to Kohl’s I go!

That was a great post. Since I am a big shoe lover I could totally relate. I think I have some comfy “shoes” in my closet I need to get rid of. Thanks for the reminder. 🙂