Melting

We venture out this morning, lured by the sun and clear blue sky.

Anticipation turns to despair as we step outside and into world of brown.

Mud everywhere.

This beautiful white blanket of snow is slipping away—sliding in snaky rivulets down streets and into gaping water drains.

Left behind is this dirty residue of slushy mire, grimy sludge tainting landscape.

My snowglobe is melting.

Spirits are muddy too, as eyes take in this dingy milieu.

There is something so clean in a snow coverlet. I ponder looking out window as fresh flakes dance in the air, covering bleak terrain in shifting patterns of light.

These diamonds sparkle in sun and speak to me of purity–of covering my sins.

But now, dirt is exposed. What was once pure is polluted with the muck of time.

The muck of time.

Time can carry sullied memories, regrets wrapped in muddied packages. Time unburies bitter roots, exposes jaded views.

Time

can warp

a heart

that is hidden

under pristine doilies-

beating under a false façade–

trapped,

before it

is truly

healed.

How do I melt this heart?

This heart, so cold it’s turned to stone…

Afraid to yield, afraid of what is buried under that thin layer of ice.

We walk, splashing along in gray thoughts, up to shins in this murky soup.

I am talking to Him, always, pouring out this stony heart.

Shimmer.

Sunlight dances on melting snow before me.

It catches my eye like the snap of fingers. God’s fingers, perhaps?

And I begin to see.

Brushy grass pushes up through white…straining toward sun.

I bend lower and study these wonders.

Beneath the lacy ice I see, rippling pieces of sun, straining…

Water trickles, gurgles–bursts forth from icy bindings.

I feel a trickle in this heart.

The tiniest of beginnings…

The thaw will come

and melt this stony heart.

Could it be that the messiness of melting is needed?

This awareness of dirt and grime, an awakening?

It hurts.

Oh, God, it hurts.

To stare at the ugliness that is my human nature…

It is only natural to avert eyes—to cover this brokenness with a snowy white coverlet.

But when the blanket is lifted, and dirt is exposed…the sun shines in and all is gently

washed away.

“I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.” Ezekiel 36:26

Do you see the cross, my sisters? I did not until I downloaded these pictures and then, it jumped out at me…

Comments

Your snow globe is melting…lol. Tender is He, in His timing, in His way and the heart of flesh is made glorious in ways known only to Him. After the freezing, sleeping season, new life comes…ALWAYS!

Immediately – I saw the cross before you ever mentioned it. Cross over stony cold heart mmmmmmm. He is everywhere in the lessons if we stop to look for Him. He will be found — looking at us muck, mire, mud and all – through the cross. Love your writing.

WOW!

I am not fond of snow or ice…which is why I live in Texas! BUT, I do have a new appreciation after reading today’s post. There is beauty in everything where God is at work!

Okay… that about had me in tears! Beautiful. true emotion. I’ve been there. I still find myself there sometimes. I am so glad that the Lord is gentle when He does the ‘pruning’ in our hearts. Though it is truly painful-He is yet ironically gentle- and the outcome is beautiful and glorifies His Name!

Love the pictures! The cross…. Thank you Jesus!!

(((thanks for the sweet comment about me and my honey!! ~~blush, blush~~~)))

Goodnight.
    Luv In Him,
    Deanna

Precious words, dear one, precious words….

He doesn’t see what you see. He sees you fully restored unto Him. He wants to show you what He sees. You are loved, deeply, intimately, relentlessly loved. Your actions do not define you… He defines you. Don’t you love that?

I love your heart…your beautiful, beautiful heart!

Love ya!

Loved the line about a snap of fingers, God’s fingers. Oh, He/She catches our attention in the most unexpected ways! Just now, in your words, for example….

Oh my friend…
    You have such a way with words!
    Thank you for sharing your insights with us all.
    Right now my whole world seems to be caught in the deep freeze yet. But tomorrow is supposed to be in the mid to upper 30s all day, so maybe the thaw will start here.
    I pray that God will continue to thaw my heart in the places that I still have covered over.

As for that offer of the gallon of Haagen Daas coffee ice cream… bring it over, we’ll kick out the hubby and kids and have a grand old time! 🙂
    Love you,
    Heather

Sweet. The pictures gave me chills! I do not like snow. It is beautiful to look at…look at! We have had twp days pf warm weather here in missouri and I am ready for spring-REBIRTH!!

Thanks for your prayers!

In His Graces~Pamela

Over the past couple of days God has been speaking to me to write on Ezekiel 32:26 and share my personal ‘melting’ story. Tears fill my eyes in reading this, as I know all too well the ‘icy heart’. The melting has been a gift. The Living Water beneath that surface has been given freedom to flow and new life is budding and growing.

Thank you for this encouragement and confirmation.

“Spirit of the living God, fall fresh on me.
    Spirit of the living God, fall fresh on me.
    Melt me, mold me, fill me, use me.
    Spirit of the living God, fall fresh on me.”

Surrendered,
    Joy

Laura~
    Just had to return! I am reading through a One Year Bible at a very slow pace……..I keep getting stuck on a passage and have to chew on it for awhile.
    This morning I read Ezekiel 11………I am quietly, humbly listening to the Holy Spirit…….I want my heart to receive this word……I want my heart to “melt” in His presence while meditating on His Word….
    Thank you………Thank You! He has used you, once again, sweet friend!
    Love to you,
    Cheri

These pictures are amazing as are your insightful words. You have such a gift for seeing beyond what seems to be there. Thank you for sharing that gift and for being such a blessing. Have a wonderful weekend!

Yes, I see… the cross… your heartfelt words… the beautiful message.

Thank you for showing this in a new light. Our snow globe has turned yuck and brown in the last couple of days,too, and it does help to look at it like this. At least the sun shines and new life is returning, right? :o)

Love the way you posted pictures and words about our hearts. We think alike. I’m with you every step of the way. Experiencing the melting!

Thank you for writing such beautiful works!

How fitting that there would be a cross in the last picture.
    This is a beautiful post Laura.
    Your gift of writing never ceases to amaze me.
    You’re not a bad photographer either. 😉
    Have a good week.
    Hugs from windy (and dry….please pray for much needed rain) Oklahoma!
    Valerie

You have a wonderful talent, in writing and in seeing God in everyday things. It is so easy to allow our hearts to “freeze” and to become icy, but If we keep on with the desire to see God, we will see that it is only the frost that has come.

Thank you for sharing the thoughts today. We too are under the in the Mud…

Laura,
    Such a beautiful writting. I love how you compared the blanket of snow like the covering of our sin by our Lord.

We must my friend go to the cross daily to melt our sin filled hearts.

You are a blessing to me, always reminding me of God’s love patience and beauty through your writings.

Love,
    Carol

Laura,
    This is a beautiful post. So real and raw and honest…and beautiful. Thank God He is patient and loving and merciful. What would we do otherwise? How would we have any hope for the thaw that revives our frozen hearts?

I wrote about the snow today, but from an entirely different point of view. Funny how God speaks to each of us uniquely.

Blessings,
    Kelli

From the start you pointed out that we venture out. I thought about how venturing out in one’s personal life journey can be either a blessing or a nightmare.

Sometimes as we ventrue God brings unexpeced blessing and renewal. He transforms the heart, warms it up, makes it more like his. In contrast venturing can also be a lure that often traps us in the darkness and murkiness that surrounds us.

I enjoyed your writing and I guess I kept going back to the beginning and the venturing that we each do.