The Nitty Gritty

Time for our Yes To God online Bible study with Lelia:

Chapter five of Jennifer Rothschild’s book, Self Talk, Soul Talk

Tune In: Awake, My Soul.

We’re getting in to the nitty gritty, ladies.

This chapter starts Part two of our study—Seven Things To Say To Your Soul.

Jennifer says, on page 65, that “…sometimes we become sleepy and apathetic toward some of our poor choices and negative attitudes.”

Thus, the “Awake my soul.”

In this chapter, Jennifer reminds us of the costs of distraction and the need to be attentive to the things that we treasure.

Jennifer says, “We must tune in to our treasures and take note of what distracts us. The enemy of your soul doesn’t always tempt you with overtly evil things to keep you from peace and spiritual success. No, he uses even good things to distract you form what is best.”

Sound familiar anyone? What’s that old saying about Satan making you busy?

One of the most difficult things for me to do is to tease out the best from the good.

We need some kind of litmus test, it seems.

Sticking with our thought closed analogy, page 71 gives help, “Every time we access something from our thought closets, our treasures (our priorities) should be prominent—front and center.”

How many times do I make decisions without seeking God’s will?

Without considering my husband’s thoughts?

Or how it will affect my children?

These things should be my litmus test.

These are my treasures.

It’s time I started treating them as such.

In the very beginning of this chapter, Jennifer makes this point: “Keeping something clean is easier when you tend to it daily.”

So true.

I apply this wisdom to my laundry pile—faithfully sticking to the plan of at least one load a day…Knowing that the chore is more easily managed a little bit at a time.

Do I diligently work on my treasures in this manner?

Do I even have a plan to keep the sacred sacred?

Awake, my soul!

Jennifer’s words challenge me to be deliberate in how I approach life—to be more attentive to the things that I hold dear. My goal is to order my life, and my thoughts, in such a way as to honor the things that I treasure.

This will require…

Structure.

(Screams of terror echo in background).

Ahem. This will require structure.

And a heckofa lot of creativity.

Because I live in a household that doesn’t respond well to structure.

I’ll keep you all posted on how it goes.

Pray for me!

Comments

Oh the days of young children, busy lives…so thankful He is full of grace and it is sufficient. Praying that He multiplies your time with Him and that you capture quality…however long you get with Him.

Love your thoughts on this. You bring a good point…we can be diligent and structured in how we do the menial (laundry) but not so structured in our time with God, family, purpose, friends, etc. Very thought provoking.

Thank you for your very encouraging comment on my blog. My picture does a good job of covering my imperfect skin and more than enough buttocks. 🙂

It was taken on my beloved’s 40th birthday–we did fondue restaurant, carriage ride, the works…his bday is New Year’s Eve. Needless to say the last two have been sad and hard for me not to shower him with the love in my heart but that didn’t always come out the way intended in our marriage.

Love you much,
    Paula

Oh.. ouch…
    the dreaded word.
    Structure.
    Yuck… what is that?! 🙂

Yeah, I have found with housework alone, the thing to get me motivated to DO it even is having someone coming over. So when we have our small group over weekly, it helps me stay on top of things… however, if we have a week off, I slack and then have twice or 3 times as much stuff to get done later.
    Sigh.
    I am sad to see it will be the same thing with my thought life… till it becomes a habit… in this case a good one.
    I’ll be praying for you on that whole structure thing! 🙂
    Love you,
    Heather

It looks like we picked up on some similar things. I like the replacing of our untrue thoughts with Scripture.

I have just spent another day with minimal Scripture, but I have been in prayer a lot lately, and God is blessing me through that, as well.

I was just asked today if I was going to She Speaks…(which I’d love to do!) Just not sure this is the year for me. Then I read your post…

“How many times do I make decisions without seeking God’s will?
    Without considering my husband’s thoughts?
    Or how it will affect my children?
    These things should be my litmus test.
    These are my treasures.”

You’ve got me thinking… and praying tonight, friend!

luv to you!

the end of your post had me smiling!

I’m a homeschool momma and you’d think that structure would be one thing mastered in our home. ummm… nope.

my kids might check my forehead for a fever if they something like that happened.

Is ‘organized unstructure’ okay, lol? I think I might have that down :O)

again… I much enjoy the book review through your eyes. Great stuff.

hugs, Deanna

Awwww! Back to your godly wisdom and insights! Feels like home! Thanks for sharing!
    Structure is so important and is always best when seasoned with grace!

Love to you sweet friend!

That is so good Laura.

I’m so glad you’re enjoying and learning from this study. It sounds great, by the way.

I know I’m pretty quick at times to make decisions (not usually big, important ones) without really praying them through.

I’ll be anxious to hear what else you glean from this study.

Hugs to you today all the way from Oklahoma!

Structure, oh that’s such a hard word for me. I have always called my world organized cahos. :).

I love your thoughts, how we put so much time into the menial stuff and then fit in out treasures around that.

Praying for you and your family as you ventrue toward the structure you desire, my friend.
    Love,