Chocolate Milk Faith

I can see his face in dim light spilling from cracked closet door. In this soft palette of night he could be my chubby faced toddler again–unruly waves of rust-colored hair spill over brow, freckles dance across terrain of nose and cheeks…

It’s been a rough day. I carry new burdens.

As I kneel beside his bed I am overwhelmed by the grief of this world and the wiles of Satan.

So I place my hand on his head and make this wish—this wish that he would remain untouched by the struggles that break our hearts and bring us to our knees.

“Oh, Teddy boy. I wish you never had to grow up. I wish you never had to worry about love, or work, or money…”

“Or chocolate milk.”

In the space that his words create I see mischievous smile creeping.

And I can’t help smiling back.

And in this moment I know that God is bigger than these things that weigh me down.

This child believes with a faith bigger than mine that these things can never touch him.

Because he believes this, I begin to believe it too.

I lay these burdens down. They are too heavy for me.

But there is One who has the whole world in His hands.

Besides, I have more pressing matters to consider.

Like chocolate milk.

Don’t forget to leave a comment on my previous post for a chance to win a copy of L.L. Barkat’s lovely book, Stone Crossings. I’ll draw three names from all comments on this post Wednesday evening!

Comments

Kids are so tender and trusting and give us the strength to keep going most days. I’ve certainly found this to be true in my own life…

even in the laughter of a 19 year old and a 17 year old as they still battle it out on the video games and enjoy one another’s company.

My oldest is home from college, and all of his siblings adore him. I caught myself several times yesterday just sitting back and listening to their laughter.

Sacred perspective. How I thank God today for the gift of my children.

peace~elaine

What a beautiful, open sharing and a powerful reminder of the faith of a child and how much we learn from our children of all ages.

We carry burdens MORE and trust LESS at times as adults and we need to daily surrender the burdens and cares of this world but trusting with that child like faith that we don’t have to worry. God has everything under control.

Bless you sister.

they are too heavy for me too, friend. Oh, how I love that He is there for us. How I love Him.

your words are precious. and your sweet child’s words are like Gold.

Praying for you today Laura.

Father Laura is carrying new burdens today. Help her be strong in You and in Your mighty power. Help her put on Your full armor so that she can take her stand against the devil’s schemes. For her struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore help her put on Your full armor, so that when the day of evil comes, she may be able to stand her ground, and after she has done everything, to stand. Stand firm then Laura, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. Help her thirst for the ‘chocolate milk faith’ that quenches her need and refreshes her soul.

Remember, you are not outside His reach,
    Love, prayers and hugs,
    Joy

Hmmm…the looks good. I was almost tempted to get a glass because I’m thirsty but 1) I’ve consumed too many calories and need to stick with my water and 2) the chocolate has caffeine. Can you believe I ate a individual cup of sugar free chocolate pudding the other night and I could not go to sleep. No caffeine after noon preferred but these days I drink it once a week: Friday.

I must be in talkative or rambling mood. Dog goone it…I go overboard on my comments.

Love seeing life through the eyes of a child…sad to a point those of their innocence that will soon fade when they realize the real world and it’s struggles and pains.

Love ya, chickadee
    Paula

I’m sorry you are carrying a heavy heart at the moment, and pray that you’ll be released from this. I love how you write, and the images you provide for us with your beautifully chosen and well-placed words. Your children, and their wonderful way with words… so, so precious! Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. My back is on the mend! PTL! Stay safe in Him. N x

I love the faith of children. Recently one of my little friends prayed for another friend’s very ill puppy. It was so precious. The dog was healed!

I’m praying that you can trust God to carry those heavy burdens. Cast your cares upon the Lord…for He cares for you!

I do too!

Love,
    Valerie

Oh, to have the faith of a child. I am praying that the burdens on your heart will be healed and replaced with the peace and comfort that only God, as our Father, can provide.

I know what you mean about wanting to shield him from the world, I feel the same with my niece and I’m not even her mother.

If only life was as simple as the joy of chocolate milk:) But perhaps that’s the point that through the eyes of a child it is, and that’s why the bible encourages us to be like children.

Oh! My heart is contracting! This is on of my MOST favorite blog posts ever! The writing, the boy, the faith, the chocolate milk, it’s all so true!

Grace to you!