Soul Rest

It was the straw that broke the camel’s…

heart?

I arrive home from a crushing caseload at work and hubs’ first words to me are to inform me of a schedule conflict.

Not just any conflict, but one involving my son. One I can’t get out of. One that will involve missing the sharing of something pretty special with my boy.

I can feel the tears pulling at my eyes, so I sit down and place hands over face.

Trying to hide this weakness.

It will be okay, honestly.

But I am tired.

All it takes is Jeff’s hand on my leg. His gentle, “What’s the matter?” His reassuring words.

And I am all ablubber.

“I’m just tired. I can’t keep up with anything anymore. I’m missing things with the boys. My patients aren’t getting my best. I can’t keep up with laundry. This house is a wreck. I feel like I’m not doing anything well right now.”

The tears are leaking out from behind my fingers, hastening down cheeks and misting my eyes.

Jeff is my hero. He speaks gently and lovingly. But best of all, he takes the boys to their music lessons and gives me a couple hours of quiet.

“Just relax,” he says, as he ushers guitar and drum stix out the door.

So, after eating a decadently delicious blonde brownie (I earned it today, sisters!), I pick up my Self Talk, Soul Talk book to get started on my online Bible study post (another thing I’m behind on) and what do you think the title of this week’s chapter is?

That’s right.

Chill Out: Be At Rest, O My Soul.

I would have laughed out loud…if I wasn’t still crying.

God’s timing is perfect.

In this chapter Jennifer discusses how our souls need rest—not just our bodies.

Jennifer reminds me that the only place I can get this kind of soul rest is in the One who created my soul. The only One who knows the deepest places inside.

Only God can speak this kind of rest over me.

Saying yes to God, means saying no to other things. It requires putting Him first and regularly spending time with Him.

I’d love to write more on this very timely topic, but I need to get me some Soul Rest. Drum stix and guitar will be clanging through the door very shortly, and I need to renew myself.

Let Him give you rest, Dear Ones. Go to Him.

He awaits.

Don’t forget to leave a comment on a previous post for a chance to win a copy of L.L. Barkat’s lovely book, Stone Crossings. I’ll draw three names from all comments on this post Wednesday evening!

Comments

RYC: Regarding this Devotional “God Calling”— I first discovered it in the late 70’s. It was such a high stress season of life…basically recovery from the first 18 years of life. This devotional was one of those OH GOOD GLORY moments almost everyday. God used it to speak directly to my heart. I didn’t know about anyone else but I knew it had been printed for me. I found an old copy months ago and started reading it again. It certainly stirs up the pondering in me. It is so different reading through it again almost 30 years later. It seems so personalized.

Sweetheart,
    I’m praying for you. I hurt for you and with you about missing the time with your little boy.

But, he will know that you love him because of everyday with him.

You are a wonderful loving mom…they will always know that. The cleaning stuff…they won’t remember at all.

Love and blessings,
    Teri

Hi Laura,
    I can identify with your missing out on the event with your son. I was a stay at home mom until my daughter went to first grade. I went back to college, got my degree, substitute taught a year, then taught at a Catholic school for 2 years, then continued to work full time other places. I missed out on a lot during the kids’ grade school years. In some ways I regret having done that, but God has used all the things that happened to bring us where we are today.

God’s timing is awesome, isn’t it? I’m glad you were able to read the chapter today, and your post was from the heart, as always, and brought tears to my eyes. I hope you get some rest for your body and your soul.

Hugs,
    Sue

It seems like my soul sisters from Yes to God Tuesday have been experiencing the same as me. I should have picked up my book during my breakdowns over the weekend! It sounds like, from your post, that it was the respite I needed. I will make sure I say NO to everything else and YES to God and the book today at lunch, and tonight. I am feeling your pain, and praying for you Laura. xo

I can see God’s smile as you picked up the book!

Isn’t it wonderful when He speaks so directly to our hearts. May you find a deep soul rest in His loving arms. Tune your heart to the beat of His and there you will find peace.

Blessings,
    Denise

I am going to have to get a copy of this book! I THINK I know who the author is. If she is who I am thinking of, I have seen her on Life Today (James & Betty Robinson).

I loved this “Jennifer tells me that this kind of rest is not only a decision; it is a discipline.” I find this to be VERY true. The older I get and the longer I walk with the Lord, the more in tune to the need to slip away and reconnect with Him.

How good of your Honey to come to the rescue! Happy refreshing!

Maria

P.S. I have something for you at my place (later, when you are refreshed! 🙂

Laura,
    Just wanted to let you know you are in my prayers.
    Sometimes life is just plain hard, huh?
    I’m glad Jeff was able to take the boys this evening and glad that he was sensitive to your need for some alone, quiet time.
    Tomorrow will be better friend!
    Love,
    Valerie

Oh Laura,
    I am in the middle of writing my post right now, and just had to say, you are NOT alone in how this chapter hit you.
    When I started reading it after this weekend, (after a couple of posts pleading for prayer) I started laughing through the tears, because I realized that this was exactly what I needed…
    WOW.
    How God works.
    I pray that He will help you through this time, and that you will find peace… deep in your soul.
    Love you,
    heather

Bless your heart. Make sure that you take that precious time to rest. You seem to give so much of yourself to others; you have given me such encouragement and joy. Praying that your soul will find the rest it needs and that God will fill you up beyond our abilties to even imagine.

Sweet Laura,

I pray that you are finding that well needed rest in your soul. You are a woman of such love and compassion for your family, friends, and clients. Let the love of our Lord pour back into you the love you pour out to others and be refilled.

Much love friend,
    Carol

He makes me lie down in fresh, tender green pastures; He leads me beside the still and restful waters.
    He refreshes and restores my life (my self); He leads me in the paths of righteousness uprightness and right standing with Him, not for my earning it, but for His name’s sake.

God bless you.

Sister, isn’t it just the sweetest, gentlest, most awesome blessing…when God speaks to us when we simply need HIM the most?

Love you,
    Yolanda

I missed this or I’m just late. This is perfect. You may have felt behind on your study, but God knew. He knew all along that other things needed to take precidence so that He, HE, could speak to you this day when you needed it most. His timing is perfect…never late, never early.

Thanks for the reminder of God’s perfect timing. I need to trust His timing as much as I trust Him. It’s hard. I just asked him today in the beautiful sun and weather driving to the post office, bring my suddenly sudden. So much time has past, so much lost. Yet as the tears flowed, I knew so much was gained through the last 20 months. I’d not trade those blessings but in Jesus’ powerful name I pray for Him to bring someone to his knees and that we waste no more time on disobedience. You know what I’m saying, Laura.

Love ya,
    Paula

I am sorry you are feeling overwhelmed. I’m glad God came near.

I just shared yesterday with my new 19 year old friend about rest. She too was tired and needed a breakaway with her God. Today she took the time. I’m guessing she’s feeling lighter..

I think we all need this reminder over and over and over again. I get to my breaking point too. It’s hard to feel like such a failure. I know God sees you as HIS precious bride. Never a failure..

Much love,

Tiffany

I am so far behind in my blog reading!!!! But, this post sums it up, why I’ve been mia…my soul needed rest, my home needed my attention, my kids needed my words.