Visionary

In chapter four of Bill Strickland’s Make the Impossible Possible, I begin to believe that I can.

The High Calling Blogs Book Club has been reading this amazing story and sharing thoughts. Check out more reflections here.

This week’s chapter perfectly illustrated to me what the term visionary means.

The story of how Strickland marries the Bidwell Training Center and the Craftsman Guild—how he campaigns and succeeds in raising millions of dollars to build a new facility to house these two struggling programs—makes me believe anything can happen.

When I look deeper into the process by which Strickland obtained the means to realize his dream, I see that there were some pretty significant mitigating factors involved.

Strickland worked for years building a reputation as a man who cares about his mission and who could be trusted.

He never would have gotten far with donors if he hadn’t lived a life of honorable intentions up until that point.

Strickland surrounded himself with good people, talented people, people who caught the contagion of his dream.

We can’t do it alone, friends. It’s one of the most debilitating characteristics of our culture, individualism. To realize a dream—to truly make a difference in this world—we must work with others. It’s just too big a job for one person. Strickland’s humility and willingness to bring others alongside him gave him inroads he would not have otherwise had.

Strickland did not give up.

I seem to keep saying this, but this is huge.

In the midst of frequent “demoralizing failures”, of defeating environments and short-sighted authorities…Strickland held on to his dream with “dogged tenacity”. He found the courage to move forward, one step at a time, and in the process learned this valuable lesson: “Trust your passion, identify your dreams, and find the courage to share them with others, no matter how many times they call you a fool.”

What is your dream, friend?

Do you have a vision that just won’t leave you alone?

Don’t give up.

Give hope a home in your heart.

Follow Bill Strickland’s example and move forward—one shaky step at a time.

Comments

I thought that was key too… the perseverance… we’re talking *years*. And he got discouraged along the way too, as we all sometimes do. Having friends who share the dream, that helps, as you say.

So that it comes to this: living deep, sharing deep.

Before I forget, love the new blog layout.

“Do you have a vision that just won’t leave you alone?”

Oh, Laura, how you know I do. What a striking way to phrase such a question…won’t leave me alone. Oh how my dream and vision of a resurrected marriage glorifying Him fully won’t leave me alone. 21 months and it’s still hanging on, wooing me, to hang on and believe. Oh how hard it can be to believe something that least more than impossible. Is there such a thing as being even more than impossible. I ponder on how the other party will not have anything to do with me, unable to communicate in the least bit. I “fear” when I must write the email asking how to tend to items found as I’m packing/moving. Will he continue to ignore me? Will he care more about ignoring me than retrieving his items? My heart fears the worse. My heart doesn’t want to face the worse. My heart hopes in this being a new stone, an opportunity for mature communication, a simple response.

Thanks for the reminder to never give up…never give up on my God nor my dream planted deep within my heart.
    Luv2u,
    Paula

thank you for sharing these points – i don’t have time to read the book so this is good for me – i’m totally struck by the importance of relationship in realizing dreams – i’m currently pursueing a dream and sometimes it seems like it is taking forever – the perseverance hits home with me as well – i like your new digs!

Hi Sweetie, thanks for sharing this. It was uplifting. I like your new blog look.

Have a tremendous week in the presence of the LORD.

Love ya.

Taking shaky steps is hard but those are the ones I remember most and feel most rewarded for. Thanks for the reminder that a small half step is better than no step at all.

ps I mentioned you today in a post. Hope you don’t mind:)

RE: the dangers of individualism, AMEN, AMEN and AMEN, Sister! Self-reliance is a manifestation of pride for me. It is the greatest struggle I have in this life.

Awesome post! I loved how you broke the chapter down into main points. The power of integrity, teamwork and perseverance working together is what leads to true success. Your words are ringing in my mind…”do you have a vision that just won’t leave you alone?” I think maybe I need to spend some time thinking hard about my vision, reconnecting with it, and getting to know it better. Thanks for this!

Laura, thanks for the encouragement to continue to hold on to the dream. I have many and am often on the brink of giving them up, but then I get a bit of a burst of energy. I’ll keep on keeping on. Blessings to you