Random Acts of Poetry

L.L. Barkat has an interesting poetry challenge this week. Go read about it here. She talks about word-collecting (which is one of my favorite things!) and using those gleanings in a poem. My collection is not yet robust enough to craft anything meaningful, so I thought I would post a silly poem for RAP this week. See if you can figure out what I’ve been up to this week…

The Vacation Bible School Blues

I threw in the towel

around about six—

My knees were all achy;

my back full of cricks;

Painting the VBS backdrop

day two

Was starting to get me downhearted

and blue.

“We’ll help you,” they said,

I replied, “There’s no need.

No VBS backdrop

will get the better of me.”

So now my garage

is a bayou—

As a tarp with a swamp

in painted on hues

rests in the place my

minivan should be parked;

Now she must sleep outside

in the dark.

My studio is quite cramped

as I start to work

in garage where lawnmower

and bicycles flirt

But, oh, never mind,

we shall overcome.

And I picked up right where I left off

on day one.

I ran out of paint

before the swamp was complete

The trees had no foliage,

I was all out of green

I decided to water

down what was left

and dig in my paint box

to mix up the rest.

While still in the house,

elbow deep in my paints,

the sky opened up

it was downpouring rain;

Desperate to save

my meager attempts

I closed the garage door

but the tarp was already damp.

No biggie, thinks I,

it will soon dry;

and I set back to work with a brush

and a sigh.

From mixing and sloshing around and

rolling row after row

I’m covered with paint

From my head to my toes.

I threw in the towel

around about six—

My knees were all achy;

my back full of cricks;

“Never again,” I said to myself

washing ibuprofen down with a beer–

Then I realized:

Isn’t that what I said last year?

Comments

Oh, the dreaded VBS decorating. I’ve been there and done that. I feel your pain! 🙂 Hey, but if it provides creative inspiration for such an adorable poem…

Good luck finishing.

LOL! I love it. I am going to try the challenge also, but since yesterday, I only came up with two words on my word pool.

This made me smile! And reminded me about the year I painted the VBS backdrops. Oh yes…ibuprofen and beer pretty much sums it up! Your backdrop is wonderful, by the way. Great job, and great poem!

Hey friend~
    I didn’t see your question on my blog about the lemon bars! Sorry about that.

I’ll look it up this weekend and email it to me.

Can you email me again..so I can be sure I have your email addy?

Have a GREAT weekend.

God worked a HUGE miracle last night in our second night of VBS. My man and I never ever have been involved in a church with VBS….and we moved just after Easter to a new church home. With having said that we’d been asked to help and so when my man said he would I was elated and with that stepping out of our comfort zones…GOD SO BLESSED US LAST NIGHT, HUGE MIGHTY BIG MIRACLE. Lord, keep them coming!!!!

I love ya!

Girl you are good… that’s all there is to it, you are good.

I love the words you right. You have a gift, plain and simple.

Love the VBS painting as well.

Love ya!

LOL!!!
    Oh Laura, that is great! I can’t count the years my hubby and I hunkered down at a couple of different churches and painted VBS backdrops. Talk about back breaking back drops!!! 🙂

(did i mention the one year we did a huge and i mean HUGE fire place, complete with the fieldstones, mantel, chimney, etc, nearly 10ft. tall? ugh!)

This year, our church is doing the first VBS in about 3-4 years (due to lack of volunteers other years). I am leading the music yet again, and as it starts in 3 weeks, i will be singing myself silly with these songs!!!! And will never forget them! 🙂
    Love you!
    Heather

You’re so funny!

I love the painting you did.
    Our VBS starts tomorrow. I told my friend I couldn’t commit to teach and nobody ever asks me to help decorate 🙁 (not my talent) but I’ll be there to help in any way I can.

Have a blessed week my friend!
    Love,
    Valerie

Love the surprise ending! 🙂

And so many great images coming through here. Your poetry is taking shape, beginning to breathe more deeply. Ah, Laura, the poet in you… can you feel her more fully coming to life?

i have soooo been there and done all of that! one day i will return to it with renewed vigor – these days my aches and pains come from redoing my house – peeling wallpaper, texturing and painting i’ve done along side your VBS preps – the enjoyoment of the children will be beautiful recompense for you :0)