Random Acts of Poetry

This place has been a blessing to me. Since I have found it, the world of poetry is opening up to me. In trying to share this joy, I have begun reading poetry with the boys each night. After our devotional we have been digging into some selections from Samuel Hazo’s The Song of the Horse. It is my hope that Bible reading and poetry will become intertwined for them, so that both heart and mind will be stirred by scripture.

I found Hazo’s name repeatedly mentioned here, and here; and so, being a novice at this poetry thing I thought his works might be a good place to start.

I was right.

After each reading, I ask the boys, “What does that poem say to you?” And they always have the most interesting offerings. Sometimes they glean a meaning that surprises me, or opens my eyes to something intensely personal going on in their little lives.

But always it makes them think.

And me too.

It broadens our minds and makes the world less flat.

High Calling blogs hosts Random Acts of Poetry, you can read about it here and get your fill on this week’s participants while you’re over there (it will leave you empty for more)

…here is my offering this week.

Burden

being dragged

down

under sea

drowning

in

lies.

*************************************************************************************

ABCs of the Word, “L

You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.” (John 8:44)

For my self-portrait this week, I’m posting a couple pictures of my new hair cut. Join us at Forever in Blue Jeans for the “Where’s mom in the picture?” challenge. It is true that usually we are the ones behind the lens. This is an attempt to leave behind some evidence that I actually exist…

Okay, so maybe the front doesn’t look too different…

But, doesn’t the back look interesting?

Comments

Love your haircut!

And love that you are reading Hazo to your boys. Yes, yes, yes! Hazo’s work is based so keenly on life and on speech rhythms. I interviewed him this February (in person) and was amazed at how much of his poetry is inspired by actual speech. He told me story after story of these moments and it made me realize I should listen more, to myself and others, for the natural poetry we speak.

Your poem. Wow. This is how we find our healing paths… by writing such things down.

the back is very cute! i like this ending:

“do not

hold on

to me

for I am

being dragged

down

under sea

drowning

in

lies.”

but it made me sad.

cute hairdo
    the your neck will love the summer breezes.

the poem makes me think of all the times i hold to heavy things.
    and lies are expecially heavy.

Loving the haircut! Will have to check out this Hazo, too.

There is much to ponder with your words. I will have to stay there a bit.

Some news my friend, I have had blogging problems and hence, a new blog. Come visit me as I sadly make this change. :o)

Shalom,
    Denise

Wonderful poem. It’s the kind I could read over and over. You are very good with words.

Great haircut, it looks so fresh with the good weather almost here.

Nice poem … this heaviness bears down on me … I can actually feel the weight. I will have to check out Hazo as I also am learning so much. Lovely haircut as well.

Love, Love , LOVE the hair!!

as always I love the way you use words
    this sounds dark to me….
    I know you can handle darkness for you have the light of the world… so I won’t worry but will say a prayer

You are a good mom exposing your boys to poetry

In Him,
    Tina

Your new “do” looks great! And remember sharing God’s Word is never late. :o) It still blesses me that His Word is getting stirred up in people. Hope your weekend is grand!!!!

You wouldn’t believe how your poem “Burden” describes a situation I am dealing with in ministry right now. I may print this and read it to our group. Thanks.

I am not a poet but over the years have tried to develop a taste for it. Some poems I really, really like. I had my kids memorize parts of the poem “Trees”: “I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree …” The amazing thing is the poem about the tree was a masterpiece (I think).

Anyway, I just arrived at your site and don’t know how much poetry you write, but it seems like you have a knack for it based on this one I’ve read. And since L.L. Barkat likes it, I think you have a talent here!

Note: I linked here from Billy Coffey’s site. I share an equal appreciation for his writing style.
    WB

Laura! What a great hair cut…the beach will love it!
    The poem, I totally feel it…and yes burdens = lies so often.
    Okay…so Dave Matthews has been one of my favorites for years. My son introduced me to him back in the day when he was at his prime and living in Virginia…you can imagine! I saw him last July also. I think this will be my 5th time, but I so enjoy his music. I have no idea if he is played on secular radio anymore either, square or not!
    I will let you know how the concert is. 🙂
    Love you!
    Keep reading and writing!

I’m a fan of L.L.’s, too.

I love your poem! It flowed so nicely. And isn’t it amazing how children can get the most insightful things from poetry?

And you’re haircut’s great, too!

Laura, your beautiful writing inspires me! Everytime I come here to read I think ‘I want to write’…

Love the haircut 🙂

Cute haircut!!! I really like it.

You have such a special gift in your writings.
    I always love to read your posts and poems.

Thank you for your sweet support and your love and friendship.

Have a blessed weekend!
    Love you,
    Valerie

You always amaze me. What giftedness I find here within the depths of your very soul and heart.

The hair is sweet.

But you, my FRIEND, are sweeter!

Love,
    Yolanda

Absolutley love the haircut…think I will take the picture to the gal that does my hair.
    I am still new to the land of blog, but have found it
    so true that everyone has a story.
    I am enjoying reading those stories.
    Hope you will stop by and see me. The May give-away has started and this month there will be 10 winners.

laura,

you are beautiful inside and out.

i really appreciate your truth-telling and honesty in this poem.

you are the real deal!