Things that made me smile on the Fourth of July (The Endless Gifts continue…)
1. A thirty-something daddy playing basketball in his driveway all by himself.
2. Mama Killdeer giving mournful cry to distract me from ground nest.
3. Chipmunk running parallel to me with apple core in mouth (this made me laugh out loud).
4. Purple finch song drifting down from telephone wire roost.
5. Stiff muscles from long walk with friend yesterday.
6. Making German potato salad for Fourth of July picnic.
7. Smallest girl cousin following Jeffrey from room to room with adoring eyes.
8. Rained out picnic and huddling close together with people I love under patio umbrellas and porch eaves.
9. The sound of rain on the leaves.
10. Backyard fireworks (“That one wasn’t too bad”).
11. Tucking boys in, tired and full of love.