Forgiveness

“You can tell a lot about a person by the way he treats you when you make a mistake,” she said, not looking up. She was still struggling under the weight of it.

“It was a pretty big mistake,” he said, justifying the hurt.

She smiled weakly and nodded her head, still not looking at him.

They sat in the quiet, letting emptiness minister.

“I’m sorry,” he finally said.

She sat very still. The desire to nurse this wound was very great. It tugged at her…the unfairness of it all.

Then she put her arms around his neck.

“It’s okay,” she whispered.

She could let this go. Didn’t she already have Someone who waited for her every day—Someone filled with grace and mercy?

“It’s okay.”

Comments

Nursing hurts does not bring healing that is for sure. It only festers more. The healing comes when we let it go into the hands of the Forgiving One and receive His grace to pass it along. You really said this better yourself Laura!

I usually find forgiveness so easy, but I am living through something right now that causes me to want to hold on to the anger. I know that forgiveness is the inevitable end, but this is a hard one.
    I’ve appreciated your words.

This summer has been so crazy that I have not visited some of my favorite blogs often. glad that I stopped by tonight as your post was just what I needed. I always enjoy stopping by yours. Have a Happy Sunday! I have a giveaway going through Monday morning.

Dearest Laura…don’t we all have stories of having to forgive, not being forgiven, not wanting to forgive?
    Yes, you can tell a lot about a person by the way he / she treats you when you make a mistake. Having been on both ends and having handled it both ways…there is only one way that honors the One who is the Author of forgiveness. And the bigger the mistake…the bigger He forgives!
    And the word “treats”…it is SO important. Forgiveness might be there, but if the person doesn’t treat you as if…then you can tell a lot.
    Sweet story.

sounds like part of a book…
    perhaps the next in your series?
    I read your words, your beautifully written testimony to hope and faith, your Brody’s Story.
    You amaze me, such an authentic goodness.
    I think the book can be read at any age, as we can struggle and feel and give forgiveness at different times.
    You are a inspiring soul. I feel blessed to know you.

Forgiveness is one of God’s great blessings – for us to receive and pass on. Without it, think how chaotic all of our relationships would be. I often say that one of the keys to a great marriage is a generous spirit of forgiveness. Good post.