Advent Stories

The day didn’t go as I had hoped.

The first Sunday of Advent was swallowed up in busy-ness and here we are–at the end of it already. As I hastily try to put together our Advent readings, something else comes up. I sit on the stairs while the boys brush their teeth, the sound of electric toothbrushes not loud enough to drown out those old voices.

You can’t do anything right. What kind of mother are you?

Tears start to leak and I cover my eyes. I know it’s more than this day. Just too many days of trying to be too many things to too many people.

My Little Man comes up behind and wraps his arms around me.

“You’re the best mommy in the world,” says he, unbidden.

I hug him back, through watery smile.

I turn expanders, clip toenails, and settle boys in. It’s their reading time, but I won’t be joining them this night. I tuck Teddy in with this book, hug Jeffrey into this story. Then I go downstairs to tend the other matter.

Just a bit late, I return for lights out.

There he sits, on a sea of white blanket, with This Book spread out before him. We always read it together…but here he is, hands caressing Living Words alone.

“It’s the first Sunday of Advent,” says he. “And I wanted to read about Jesus. I read Matthew one through seven.”

I turn out the lights and snuggle in beside him. We talk about the words he read in the dark.

And I see.

A joyous Advent Season to you, my friends. May the Spirit move within.

Comments

How profound! “Sometimes I need to get out of the way so the Holy Spirit has room. I can make all the plans in the world…but His are better.” So, so true!!! God’s ways are bigger than our ways and usually accomplish so much more!! 🙂

AMEN…cause His planned moments are SO COOL…far beyond what we can imagine and in those Damascus road moments God reveals Himself to our children. And Laura…all you have to be is His child…abide with Him…all that is necessary will flow and follow. peace

Oh my sweet friend as usual your heart displayed here is stunning! I love the tender heart within you that longs to be all you can be… I also love that you see that it was necessary for you to be in a place where you couldn’t do all that you thought you needed to do.
    You saw God in your midst… I love that about you!

You are one amazing woman! I think it… so does He!

Much love!
    Julie

((((Laura)))) You have such a sweet spirit. I have felt that way myself so many times. Not too long ago I was so weepy and kept saying to myself, “I just can’t be all things to all people any more.” I don’t know why we try to do it. There really is only One who can fill that role.
    Treat yourself gently. Your son knows what is true.

I love when they come to us with compliments we don’t deserve. And yet… does anyone really deserve our compliments… and we give too, because “deserving” isn’t always the center of our love. To be like your child… to have eyes like that. Yes.

Awesome new design! Very clean, readable and beautiful. (Oh, and I like that little poem up at the top. 😉

oh, Laura, what an encouragement! I love how our children minister such joy and truth to our weary souls. What a true gift they are (Psalm 127)!

I failed at our first Advent this week too…but His mercies are new every morning! (and so are theirs!)