Shimmer

My new friend Jennifer wanted to know about the surprise package I received on my birthday. It’s just a small thing. But oh, how it made me smile…

She was who I ran to.

When the craziness in my house was too much, or the emptiness too loud…her heart was always open. I would run down the hill, she would swing the door wide and gesture dramatically.

The mission is always open, she would say. And we would laugh. And I would stay all day.

Her mom put out bologna and cheese for lunch. We would write the names of our latest crushes on the bread with mustard. We cried and giggled over boys. In the summer we swam in her pool and lazed in the sun and dreamed.

She introduced me to cheesecake and Chinese food.

Later, we would double date. I stood in her wedding and she in mine.

We grew together.

We don’t talk much these days–separated by geography and life. But when we do, it’s like we haven’t missed a beat. Like I’m lounging in her room seeking refuge from the world.

We don’t do birthday presents. Just cards usually. Maybe a phone call. So when a small package arrived last week– just in time for my birthday–I knew it was going to be good.

I saw “your present” one day when I was out shopping, the card said. And I couldn’t believe it.

Funny how you forget a thing until you hold it in your hand.

It was a lip gloss compact in the shape of kiss. The original was red, but this one is pretty close. We loved the shimmery stuff inside. It was hers, but she always shared.

It made me grin from ear to ear.

Thank you, my precious friend. I treasure this memory you have given to me.

Plus, my lips are much shinier now.

Do you have a friend that time will not lose? That special one that fits like a glove, the one you can still talk to about everything and anything that matters…no matter what? I would love to hear your story.

Comments

Since High School days my friend and I have walked through many parallel events … miles separate us but our hearts are for the good of one another … it’s a gift … a rare and treasured gift

I do. We don’t go back as far as I wish we did, but it doesn’t seem to matter. We met in Bible Study and the connection was immediate. We don’t get to visit or talk nearly often enough, but it doesn’t really matter. As you said Laura, we just pick up where we left off.

What a nice post dear friend. Yes, I do have a friend like that. Her name is Sophia. I’m blessed richly to have her in my life.

I pray all is well with you and your family. Love you and blessings to you.

Uh….no. Nada. Nope. No such friend here. Thought I did. But apparently my mouth for the Lord kyboshed that childhood-through-adult Laverne & Shirley, laugh till ya pee friendship. Okay, fine and dandy, God is way more important. So, I don’t much care if she finds another assembly line friend.

(I uh feel like I need to lay on a couch to keep talking about this…)

Uh, wait just a minute. YES! My husband truly was my best friend in high school, even while we dated other people. So that proves that we really, really were best friends. So, yeah, you betcha, I got me a friend and he sticks closer than stink on a steaming pile of manure. I know, lovely.

You asked. And apparently I am in a feisty sort of mood…

Pssst, Happy belated birthday, my friend. BTW, I had bubble-gum chapstick. You know, those giant roll-up tubes that sink way low in your painter’s pants made out of corduroy. Loved it. It tasted good. So I just ate it. No, really, I did.

(I am getting off the couch. Thanks for reading along. I need me some fresh air.)

Blessings.

how sweet!!! I just love friendships like that…the ones that send plastic kisses and make out day!! 🙂

Ps. By the grace of God, I am off to She Speaks this summer!!! Are you going?

It makes me happy knowing you have that kind of friend.
    And I don’t.. moved too many times.

But I have some good friends of the more recent mom years, an amazing sister-in-law.

It’s that unconditional wonderful comfort.