A Gift for the Mother (in-law)

Okay.

I took Home Ec. class. Way back in…the other century.

I learned how to sew. I made a gymbag. And a blouse. I liked sewing. I thought it was creative fun.

So when I got married and moved to a new home, I did what any self-respecting home-woman would do. I bought a sewing machine and made curtains.

Then I had babies.

That was thirteen years ago.

I found my sewing machine yesterday. It was sitting in the floor of my closet, languishing. So I heaved it out. Blew off the dust. And set up shop again.

What possessed you, you might ask. There’s only one thing that could make me do something so crazy.

Mother’s Day.

I was perusing some of my favorite blogs the other day when I stumbled across this post, via A Holy Experience. I’ve been by Susie’s place a few times, but have never felt her amazingly creative projects were within my abilities. But this.

Surely I can still sew a straight line. That’s all that is required.

I got so excited that I showed my boys. They were rendered speechless (and also had a somewhat glazed expression on their faces). We (I) decided that we (I) would make one of Susie’s shabby chic tote-bags for their grandmother this Mother’s Day. They would choose the material and I would do all the work.

So off we headed to Wally-World to buy the canvas tote-bags that Susie used for her project. But something strange happened while we were standing in the craft aisle. We bought an apron instead.

We (I) decided this would be more to the liking of my mother-in-law than a tote-bag. So…

I’ve chronicled the adventure in pictures. Just so you all could share in the joy.

we start with a plain apron, compliments Wal-mart.
these are the colors that Jeffrey chose. his style won out.
I cut 4 1/2 inch pieces, just like Susie says, then hem three edges.

When they are all hemmed, I try them out to see what order looks best.
the finished product.
A close-up of the rosettes. I can’t seem to do it the way Susie does. I decided to try two different fabrics for fun.
my apron likes to hang out with dishes; have tea with the muse.

the ruffles.

the real thing.

I hope my mother-in-law likes it. It would have been very easy to make if it hadn’t been 13 years since I operated my sewing machine. But all turned out well in the end.

Happy Mother’s Day, Ya’all!

Comments

Happy Mother’s Day sweet friend.
    She will love it!! I can absolutely guarantee it. You did a beautiful job. I cannot tell you how much something handmade means to me, and I just know she will feel the same way. You did good 🙂

Laura. This is a wonderful gift, infused with love. Handmade gifts are from the heart. I hope she reads your other post and only wears it. Sometimes not in the kitchen. 🙂 It is so cool that your boys were involved and saw you enthused. Your enthusiasm is dripping off the page. It’s what being creative does.
    ENTHEOS means God within. Go girl. Thanks for sharing.

Your mother in law is going to ADORE that apron! You are talented! I may have to hop over to Susie’s place to get some instructions myself…although this is a girl who doesn’t even sew on butttons.

Hey, did you change up your look over here? I like it — very soothing.

YAY for you! I used to make clothes for our girls….now I stick to straight lines as well. Our stressful season is trying to keep our business going….we own an Engineering firm…lots of jobs on hold because of people being scared of politicians. It’s hard to keep employees paid…and we have a few other issues…but God is faithful and has allowed us to be walking this path. It will be good….the waiting gets old sometimes. Our new dog just brings so much laughter to our life. I’m in awe of you guys being foster parents for dogs….I think it would be so hard to give them away. I would probably want to hang on to all of them. Hope you have a GRAND mother’s Day!

Oops the comment above and this one is really Grey Like Snuffie…I”m using my daughter’s computer and can’t get it to accept my log in’s.sp

what’s not to love , Laura & co. Seriously, that you carved out time, and were original, and it’s flawless!

She is a gardener right? She knows how hands grow love.

Hi Laura:) I’m a new follower and what first brought me to your site was the wonderful apron pattern! I have a brand new sewing machine, but haven’t used it. Haven’t sewn anything since I was in college. Thank you for the idea and I’m sure your mother-in-law loved it:)