Thinking About…

Our God, who is both Father and Mother to us, does not compare. Never. Even though I know in my head that this is true, it is still very hard to fully accept it with my whole being. When I hear someone called a favorite son or daughter, my immediate response is that the other children must be less appreciated, or less loved. I cannot fathom how all of God’s children can be favorites. And still, they are. When I look from my place in the world into God’s Kingdom, I quickly come to think of God as the keeper of some great celestial scoreboard, and I will always be afraid of not making the grade. But as soon as I look from God’s welcoming home into the world, I discover that God loves with a divine love, a love that cedes to all women and men their uniqueness without ever comparing. –Henri Nouwen, The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming

Comments

Reading R. C. Sproul’s “The Knowledge of the Holy” right now and I am coming to realize more than ever how “His ways are not our ways” and all His thoughts are so very high above ours, not just in degree but in nature. This is a great quote, Laura. 🙂

I can imagine the discussion of this quote that could be had around the table. How freeing it must be to be able to live what Nouwen’s words imply.

Love this…it so perfectly ties into what I have been feeling lately…the awe and wonderment of this Great Love so freely given even when I have wandered, ignored or sinned.

I just want to curl up in His lap and stay there awhile.

Jen

beautiful… I was just commenting to a friend that God loves our children EVEN MORE than we do, which is so hard to comprehend. And, He loves us with that very same love…thank you for sharing!

I love this quote.

And my eyes went directly to the tag in that shirt, and I remembered that I used to wear an S. And sighed. And then I remembered there are no sizes–and no holds–barred to His huge love!

Nouwen had such a fully broken heart…what I mean is one that broke open for the less fortunate…he was most likely one who kept comparing at a minimum and served the least of these. The last sentence of this quote is a gem. a pearl.