Three Strands

“They were married for 64 years,” he says, beaming. “Mom passed just before Christmas last year.”
He turns to the drooping figure beside me.
Tell her, Pop. Tell how you and mom met.”
The elderly gentleman has been nodding in and out during our conversation, but the hint of a smile tugs at the mention of his bride and he opens his eyes. I listen to a loose and meandering rendition of a 65 year old love story.  And it is absolutely charming.
“He always told us: ‘you know I love you kids. But your mother comes first!’”
The son’s eyes shine, but his smile would light up the Milky Way.
When I leave the hospital at the end of the day I am still wondering.
Do my children know how much I love their father? I mean…really?
I wonder when the time comes that they are sitting at the foot of my hospital bed; will they ask me to tell our love story to a stranger? Will they smile with a faraway look in their eyes because we have modeled the kind of love that makes traveling through this strange land the kind of soul journey this hard place requires?
When the time comes. I want it to be so. Maybe that time will come sooner than I think. Maybe that time should be now.

I’m thinking about love today. About a cord of three strands. A seal on the heart. Of being one, but more than that…living love that way.
For Brian and Tina on Their Wedding Day:
time. a strand of three
spins—loops around
the years until love
weaves these cords
into one.

Comments

What a lovely story. I wish there were a secret to such an ending, but it’s in the living and loving, one day at a time, that the story is created.

I want to leave that kind of legacy!

What a beautiful story and poem. The cord of three strands is so important. I pray that my sons see this in us as their parents and that they have it for themselves.

Sweet Laura — what a beautiful blog you have to showcase your heart and your moving soul words! I simply adore you and this new wrapper. 😉 I enjoyed reading this earlier this morning and just wanted to say how much it touched me, thinking of our love story and even of death — when there is love, there is beauty. ooxx

My mom and dad openly showed affection in front of us kids. My husband and I did the same for our children. I do trust they will be able to say, my mom and dad really loved one anothe and they loved me too.
    Great post and poem!!

I love that you asked your patient to tell his story. And, yes, my kids know I’m crazy-in-love with their father. I think they’re just getting to the point where they’re no longer embarrassed by it.

What a beautiful story. It’s too late for my kids to see that from their parents but I still want them to experience seeing their mother loved. Especially my son. I’d like him to carry a positive picture into adulthood of how a man can best treat a woman.

It made me happy that you chose geese – and tendrils. Tendrils are surprisingly strong and supportive like when God’s love wraps around a human heart. Very well done, Laura. Brian and Tina are lucky to have you as resident poet and I look forward to more “outwelling” from you.

Beautiful. The poem is a gift. And the story? Yes, that’s what I’d like my girls to see, but I know daily life and being a bit too child centered can distract us. This is a good reminder.