A Beauty Treatment

“…the appreciation of beauty is almost like a muscle; if it isn’t used, it becomes weakened and withers away.” (Luci Shaw, Breath for the Bones: Art, imagination, and Spirit: Reflections on Creativity and Faith).
I’ve been feeling a bit beauty anemic lately…so I started a new painting. For a friend. My friend loves to go hiking in the nearby forest and I smile as I dribble color here and there—imagining her between these trees. It’s only in the beginning stages, but has already given nourishment to my spirit.
It takes courage each time I put paint to paper…it leaves me vulnerable, afraid my offering will be judged unworthy. Madeline L’Engle says that in art we are given glimpses of the world on the other side of time and space…We are all more than we know, and that wondrous reality, that wholeness, holiness, is there for all of us, not the qualified only. (Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art).
God calls me to be more than I know—more than I think I can be.
It’s about more than painting.
**Over at The High Calling, we are starting our new book club a week from Monday. On  July 18th, we will start our journey through Luci’s Breath for the Bones. And that’s not all: tomorrow night, Thursday–July 7, we will be having a twitter poetry party from 9-10 EST with Luci Shaw as our honored guest! I hope you’ll join us. There is nothing like a night of poetry to nourish with beauty.

I’m linking up with Jen today–with a community of ladies who understand beauty:

Comments

When Julie feels beauty anemic, she just asks me to shave. I should get her to start painting instead. 😉

And Luci Shaw in the Twitter party. Very cool.

Oh, I feel the same way about my art. I didn’t know you painted! What joy! I hope you’ll post the finished piece.

And oh, yes. It’s always about more than the painting…

Your painting is but one expression of you, and you bring so much beauty into the world, especially through your writing.

I will be doubly looking forward to tomorrow night’s poetry fest.

I love Maureen’s comment Laura, because it says all I feel. You are a gift.
    I will try to get the book. I just like spending time talking books, poetry, art and beauty and all that good stuff with you!

I absolutely adore this – the painting, and your words about it. I have the same experience when I paint . . . I should do that sometime. Blessings, Laura!

As long as your art is a real expression of who you are, I believe that alone makes it worthy. (Much as we individuals are all real expressions of Who our Creator is!) Thank you for this meaningful post.

How wonderful to see those colors on paper and your painting…it is soul-nourishing to create and offer beauty. “It’s about more than painting.” Yes!

I don’t have a single piece of “real” art in my house.

Can I hire you?

I love it!

Can I suggest something? Can you make a nice layout of what chapters will be covered on that book each monday? I looked at the book and I think it looks like a wonderful read! Just like the last one by Guy.