One Thousand Gifts: Just Trust

Just trust.
That’s what her farmer said to her when her toes were curled tight and that barn loomed heavy on the horizon.
Just trust.
How many times have I said these very words to my own man—his toes curled tight, his heart strapped up in worry?
Stress isn’t only a joy stealer, she says. The way we respond to it can be sin…
Just trust.
Trust is the antithesis of stress, she says. And I know this must be right, for trust is still–calm waters. Trust is sunshine on the face. Trust is Strong Arms wrapped around me. How can stress penetrate trust?
But…it does.
This long spell of waiting, with questions hanging from thin lines—haven’t I pointed my finger at the sky and doubted? In the dark of night I’ve shed tears. Because bad things happen to good people. And I don’t always get what I want. And children get broken. And the wait is always too long.
How do I fill the gap of waiting?
“…Something always comes to fill the empty spaces and this is what I’ve come to do with white space. I invite thanks. For this is His will, thanks the one thing He asks to be done in everything and always and only because He knows what precedes the miracle.”
Thanks becomes bread, she says. Thanks feeds our trust.
I count these gifts, write them on my heart. And they feed. And when the hard eucharisteo comes, I remember this:
 “He gave us Jesus. Jesus! Gave Him up for us all. If we have only one memory, isn’t this one enough? Why is this the memory I most often take for granted? He cut open the flesh of the God-Man and let the blood. He washed our grime with the bloody grace. He drove the iron ore through His own vein. Doesn’t that memory alone suffice? Need there be anything more? If God didn’t withhold from us His very own Son, will God withhold anything we need?
…All gratitude is ultimately gratitude for Christ, all remembering a remembrance of Him. For in Him all things were created, are sustained, have their being. Thus Christ is all there is to give thanks for; Christ is all there is to remember. To know how we can count on God, we count graces, but ultimately there is really only One.”
I remember this Perfect Gift. And it is enough.

This is the eighth in a series on Ann Voskamp’s book One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right WhereYou Are.  Join me this time next week for a reflection on Chapter nine.

Related:
One Thousand Gifts: Chapter One
One Thousand Gifts: Chapter Two
One Thousand Gifts: Chapter Three
One Thousand Gifts: The Now Sanctuary
One Thousand Gifts: The Hard Eucharisteo
One Thousand Gifts: The Great Beauty Hunt
One Thousand Gifts: Seeing Through the Glass

Comments

good heavens….your comments about what we think while waiting…I’ve heard that a thousand times, thought them….the 8 month old baby dies. But always I must turn my gaze towards Him. Rejoice ALWAYS …..not because of all the circumstances of life but because He choose me. He …. choose ….. ME! To know Him, to re-establish a relationship of love with me. That is what I pursue.
    This morning as I walked the dog, feeling like a semi rolled through our bedroom last night I kept thinking that I needed to give thanks…to look around a give thanks. This life of mine is so short…
    I’m thankful for eternity, walking and talking with Him as Adam and Eve did….face to face. I’m thankful I KNOW I have that.
    My heart may break, my life may seem to be missing things….but I am at home with Him. So I’m choosing to pull myself up and gaze on Him and give thanks.

Well this was like a journal entry…hmmmm. Embrace me Father I am in need of those arms of love.

This morning, finding it too difficult to either trust or pray, I simply sang one of my favorite songs from my old church called “Jesus is the Lord.” ‘Nuff said. I’m better now.

I am continually amazed that Jesus would give thanks even as he was being betrayed. That level of trust astounds me … There, in the upper room, He broke bread, gave thanks, sang the Hallel with the words: “This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” To REJOICE, despite what was coming!

I appreciate re-reading this book through your eyes, Laura. Blessings upon you as you continue to read and to share.

I am going to have to reread the book – again. I wish I could somehow seal every work in my heart. You always bring so much to these posts Laura. Trust – it seems it has been the journey of my life. Such a struggle to get there and so easy to slip back into stress instead. Thank you for reminding me of these gentle, penetrating words.
    P.S. I need to catch up on your story. I’ve just been a bit busy. I want to sit and savor 🙂

Laura, I don’t know how many times I have passed by this book, stopped, looked at it……but kept on going. I think tis time I read it 🙂
    I am also reading “Breath To The Bones”. What book club is studying this one? Thank you for your posts 🙂

I get so much out of your posts on this book. I read One Thousand Gifts, loved it, and knew I needed to reread it to gain all there is. Your thoughts and perspectives are a gift to help anchor it all.

Ok, I gave away my copy of One Thousand Gifts to a friend — and now I want it back! I know, I just need to buy it again. This is just plain good stuff. I can’t get enough of it.

“Thanks feeds our trust.” I like that; it’s so very true. When we give ourselves over to gratitude, so much more is filled up, isn’t it?

It’s been awhile since I’ve been around, to my dismay — traveling and all that. I’ve missed The Wellspring!

Thank you … I loved reading this (and loved reading the book), and needed to be reminded. To trust and give thanks, instead of worry and stress. Beautifully written!

Linda that was great! I love the reflection . I have read many post on this book. I guess Im going to have to get this and read it for me. I think this is something I need to do. I wonderful reminder of Gods love and something we do so take for granted. I want my walk with Him to be fresh everyday and I think your one thousand gifts is it. Trust is a hard one for so many of us. But I think you covered it well in the highlights of this chapter you posted for us.
    Blessings