Playdates: Real Friends

I am in your town for work! Any interest in meeting for lunch or coffee on Weds this week?!
So we did. We met for lunch in Charleston and though we’ve held each other’s words across the miles, this is the first we embrace in the flesh.
And for almost an hour-and-a-half we don’t stop talking.
We talk about writing—the why, when, and how of it…and how our familiars think we’re crazy. We talk about church and about our kids—about having THE TALK and how boys’ hearts belong to their mammas. We talk about husbands—the way their love gives us wings and about faith bruises and where they are now. We talk about tough places. And how you have to be careful what you put in writing.
She tells me how The High Calling is changing her—changing the way she sees her work; and I nod because I know it’s all God’s work. We talk about how she thought Brad lives in Boston, and Gordon and P90X, and how cool Sam is and how I first found her through Michelle.
And about halfway through our time together, she sighs. She sighs and cocks her head to the side and says:
This is really real, isn’t it?
Our eyes meet and we grin and I nod.
Yes. Yes, this is real.
And how to say? Just how this real feeds and nurtures and grows? But I don’t have to. Because she knows. And when it’s time to go, we embrace and we are filled. And we are real.
Me and Susan DiMickele–AKA Lawyer Mommy

How about you? How do you embrace the God-joy? Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. And come tell us about it.

Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us!

Sharing with L.L. Barkat today also:

On In Around button

Comments

How cool for both of you. Can’t wait to meet you someday!

Deidra was just an hour away this weekend, but I couldn’t get to her because of my daughter’s theater schedule, so we talked on the phone instead. Yes, this is real!

Laura how awesome to catch up with an old friend!
    I get to do just that today.
    Im thrilled as I havent seen her in 15years.
    So I do know how precious those times and visits are.
    Thank you for sharing this very specail time with us.
    Have a wonderful 4th of July.
    Blessings

That is so sweet. I actually have a couple virtual friendships and would love to hug in person! I got near to one a couple weeks ago while in TX but it didn’t work but we are both promising next time!

Laura, this is SO real I can’t stand it! I feel like I am sitting beside you in that booth again. What a lovely playdate — just a glimpse of heaven, don’t you think?

Real. Can’t think of many words I appreciate more. Beautiful, smiling faces there. . . representing a real friendship. Such a blessing to get to be real in person!
    Happy 4th!

so glad this could happen for you ..it is an amazing feeling when you are talking across the table ..it has happened to me one time ..

I love how God brings “real friends” into our lives through blogging. People that we otherwise would have never had the blessing of knowing. He is good that way.
    I’m so happy for both of you getting to meet in person. It’s such a privilege.
    I hope one day to get to meet you as well.
    Much love,
    Amy

I am so thankful for the real friends I’ve made here in blog world, especially the ones I’ve gotten to have face time with!

Laura, getting to know someone through their words, then having the chance to meet them in person – beautiful. I’m a guy/male/dude/single – and almost all my readers are married women – so any “meeting” will probably take place next Blissdom Conference – amid about 700 other people. It’s different dynamic for a guy/male/dude/single blogger choosing to blog in this absolutely spectacular community of strong Christian moms. But that’s okay – I still get the words – I heart. your words. God bless you Laura

Hi Laura. Just so you know. It is SO true that a boy’s heart belongs to his momma. I’m living proof of that. I’m a 35 year old single man, and I still go back to my Mom when I need advice on heart relationships. Especially dating relationships. 😀

Hey! That’s you and Susan!!

Yes, Susan and I keep missing each other in Boston (I used to hail from Boston, now my daughter is in college there).

It is real, isn’t it? So glad you two could grab a half-hour in real-time.

This is so dear. Great photos and it sounds like you had a wonderful time together. Laura, you’re a good hostess. None of what you communicated in this post surprises me one bit.

Susan, thanks for being a vital presence at TheHighCalling. Looking forward to hearing more from you there.

Oh, Laura, I love that story!! How special you got to me someone from blogland in real life. I hope I get to me one of you dear people some day, too. The way you wrote about your conversation held me to every word.
    Wouldn’t it be a dream to have coffee with you and talk about writing!! How great.
    Thanks for sharing! I think I’ll link up my wild lilies from Alaska. Seems that’s where I’m living these days.
    Blessings,