Playdates with God: Parade

It is homecoming at the high school and their band has invited the middle school band to march with them in the parade.
“Are you excited?” I ask Jeffrey on the way to school.
“I guess so,” he says. “It’s the first time in thirty years the middle school band has done this.”
I let that sit with me for a while. Secretly, I’ve been thinking it too much. They will go to the high school at 1:00 in the afternoon to practice. The parade doesn’t start until 6:00pm. And then they are to sit through the game with the high school band, not getting home until around 10:00 pm. That’s a long day for a 12 year old.
But he’s excited.
****
His grandmother wants to watch him march in the parade so she meets up with us and we all go together. We park at the high school and walk up the street to find a good viewing spot. Folks are spread out up and down the valley road—some have lawn chairs. We find some friends and stand gawking. Little Hannah is doing ballet on the sidewalk.
The birds are surfing the wind overhead, they come in waves and the way they soar against the blue sky speaks autumn into my heart and I gaze up the street to catch a glimpse of another flock—those redbirds I love so. They don’t have uniforms like their older counterparts…just their band shirts and “jeans with no holes in the knees”. The percussion section won’t have their snares either, because, “Ms. Paxton doesn’t have enough money to buy marching equipment”. So he’s holding a maraca-type thingie and marching in time.
It’s the look on his face that makes my throat catch and I’m so proud and I know there will be a lot more of these long days to come.
It’s so exciting.

How about you? How do you embrace the God-joy? Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. And come tell us about it.

Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

Sharing with L.L. Barkat today also:

On In Around button

Comments

Precious times with memories that last a lifetime. Seeing our children growing up and joyful is certainly a “God-joy.”

I hope your week is full of peace.
    Pamela

There have been times when I, too, think it too much, and then, I am awed by the transformation and the fullness. I could spot your guy right away — he looks so much like you!

Such a good, long day for your boy. It is too much sometimes when we see that look on their face. A look we’ve always known in some ways and yet keeps moving forward into life with them as we watch their parade keep moving. Wonderful he can be a part of a group like this! Love the way you mother and experience God-joy all at once.
    Hope your cold has passed by as well!

What a beautiful autumn day! My little man is just starting to learn the clarinet, so I may have a parade in my future. I cry pretty much everytime he does anything new; bless his heart. So bittersweet to watch him grow.

Awwwwwww. So sweet. I was in the marching band in junior high and high school — we did the 4th of July parade and I was always so excited (I played the clarinet). My boys don’t seem interested in playing an instrument (although Noah is in choir)- I hope they change their minds.

Oh Laura. High school days will indeed soon be here for you and they FLY by fast. Hang on to your hat! They can be so fun! I’m certain I was much more tired than our daughter as we traveled around for Show Choir Competitions. GLORY!

Percussion. Yes.

So says the grandmother of Cadence 🙂

Laura, those band memories are special. Something about them.

I hope your sniffles have given up and moved on.

Oh Laura, parades are emotional and moving events in themselves but to have your son in one goes beyond what usually stirs in one’s heart. You are a proud mama and for good reason.
    Loved seeing your son. It always connects us a little more when we see the family.
    I tried to comment earlier but couldn’t do it on the computer at work 🙁 We’re limited at the school.
    Blessings on your week of joy. Memories to fill your heart for a long time.
    Janis

Oh, I loved parades as a kid, marched in many as clarinet player in High School marching band, and now…haven’t been to one in years!
    May the days of a child’s growing be sweet and honoring to the Lord. Amen.

I loved my son’s marching band. I couldn’t believe the director could get that many teenagers to march, play and make a formation at the same time when I couldn’t get mine to make his bed! I will miss marching band and the way my heart swelled with pride watching them.

Trackbacks