Sunday

When he reached home, he took a knife and cut up his concubine, limb by limb, into twelve parts and sent them into all the areas of Israel. Everyone who saw it said, “Such a thing has never been seen or done, not since the day the Israelites came up out of Egypt. Think about it! Consider it! Tell us what to do!” –Judges 19:29-30

Joining Deidra in quiet contemplation today.

Comments

One of the most bizarre and thought provoking sequences in all the OT. (You make me wish I were still studying Judges…)

And yet, this is what we have in the Word, no? All of it. The beauty, the love, the strange and horrific. And in it all, there He is. Thanks, Laura.

Sometimes the Bible just makes me scratch my head in disbelief. But it’s in there. And it’s in there for a reason. Like the story of the man who said, “When I get home, the first thing that comes out of my house I will sacrifice to you, God.” And it was his own daughter who came out to greet him. So many questions….

I read that again not long ago. Always makes me want to just strangle people… in a kind way, of course. It is so clear that the people simply didn’t understand the consequences of some of their life choices. The important part: many in our world walk through this similarly… maybe not the particular hacking and mailing bits, but our worldly attitudes that honor either other gods or just end up soaked in sinfulness…and don’t even care about what they’re doing as long as they can do what they want, when they want to. It’s a heart breaker now, too.

Was this kind of thing maybe not so gruesome to them as it is to us?

For some reason it reminded me about Lot–willing to give his virgin daughters to the rabble so they’d leave his visitors alone.

Such graphic lessons.

Yowza – nothing like trying to illustrate the completely un-illustratable! I sincerely love most of the book of Judges – but this long, sad, gory story at the end is just too horrific. I’m curious as to why you selected this for your photo. I know your poet’s mind and heart and I’ll admit to real curiosity here.

It was a more brutal time (in some ways – there are days when I wonder about that), and hospitality was a virtue of the highest order. But still….

Where is God in this for you, Laura?

A fitting question, Diana, and a hard one. This scripture is one I wrestle with. But this week, it is speaking to me about good things lost and how my own hand contributed in some ways to that loss. It’s not a comfortable place to be. But a necessary one. And where is God? He is right here beside me. My Comforter through it all.

Sin was so heavy around these people that they did not give it another thought to offer their loved one to those seeking to pervert. The sad ending was awful. I suppose this was a way to present a teachable lesson to those who he was hoping to insite.
    Yes, it worked.