Playdates With God: The Flower Remembers

Sometimes God speaks loud like the roar of an engine or the booming of thunder and I’ve heard people tell stories about how this Big Voice changed everything for them in an instant. I’ve heard God speak, but not in this loud voice. Whenever He comes calling on me, it’s usually in the garden.
My flowers have been neglected lately and any voice that might be heard could get tangled up and lost in the weeds. There have been too many books and end-of-the-year projects and the irises bloomed and waned before I could smooth the soil out from around their tubers.
So when a free morning comes, I load up the new red wheelbarrow and head into the weeds for some Holy conversation. The day slips by unnoticed and gradually the earth begins to look like it can breathe again. I work until my fingers bleed, until I can hardly stand up and I understand Adam’s curse but I am catching a glimpse of Eden too and I am happy.
I uncover secrets with my hands and watch as my garden carries out God’s plan. I have forgotten what I was made for—I have tried to fill that hungering ache with all the wrong things…fooled myself into thinking it’s about books and end-of-the-year projects and laundry. I’ve tried to be god of my own little world.
I have forgotten what I was made for, but the flower never does.
 I mostly listen. But the conversation is good.

the Playdates button:

Sharing with L.L. Barkat today also:

On In Around button

Comments

beautiful post.

I love how you call these “playdates with God”. I can totally relate!! Ever since I had my son it’s like my eyes have been opened to the awesomeness of God in such new ways, and a lot of the time it is when I’m “playing” or doing something active with my son. It has been really interesting!

I don’t have a garden like you do, but I can see how that would be a beautiful place to spend time with God! 🙂 so wonderful that you have a special place like that!

paula

Beautiful post, Laura!

Yes, the garden is a great place to converse with God.

Mine is a vegetable garden, rather than a flower garden, but that’s where I plan to spend my morning, starting about 20 minutes from now…

I hear from God among the soil and weeds too. Its where I go when life gets full and my hearing gets muddled. I spent some time in my garden on Friday because my weeds were getting out of hand too. It was good conversation.

What a beautiful post!

It’s so easy to get caught up in the busy “to do’s” and forget to take time to listen to God speak.

The flowers leave such a wonderful testimony!

Mary Beth
    newlifesteward.com

I used to have a big vegetable garden…it was holy ground…oh the lessons I learned and how clearly I could hear His voice…Oh …how easy it is to become God of our own little world. thanks for this…blessings~

I admire those of you who find joy, peace, and God’s presence in gardening. I love me a beautiful garden, but gardening–not so much.

But, yes, I know what it’s like to get fooled into thinking I’m the god of my own world.

I so often forget as well. But His creation never forgets. Praying that I will remember what I was created for and blossom under His love and grace.

We all need to take that daily pause to consider who we are, whose we are and what God wants us to do and be. I love your analogy to the flower. It is written with such beauty and imagery that I will not soon forget. Thanks so much, Laura, for your words and for being our gracious host!

It’s so easy, isn’t it, to get caught up in the stuff, and confuse it for stuff that really, really matters?

Love this, Laura. Love you.

Almost persuadeth me to garden! 🙂
    I have a bit of a black thumb… but I love the spirit of this post. Why is it that we let ourselves be consumed by the “urgent,” rather than slowing down and connecting with Him?

“I mostly listen. . .” Something I need to do more. Less words out of me and more into to me. Less trying to control and more of letting Him control.

“I have forgotten what I was made for, but the flower never does.

“She holds her secrets in closed up petals—clasped tight like prayers. Until the appointed time. And then she opens to great applause.

“I mostly listen. But the conversation is good.”

I love this! And I love your bright and perky flower!

May your day be blessed, sweet Laura. You are a special person!

The flower waits with petals closed like a prayer. Until the exact perfect time, when it opens to applause.
    Absolutely stunning.
    I always love being here and reading your words.

Love this analogy today. My garden too is overgrown this year. My lesson is to tackle one small section at a time and slowly, very slowly, the flower as you put it, emerges again. Can’t do it all at once, God whispers.

love your blog and its messages!!

My husband likes to worship with dirt under his fingernails, too. He spent the weekend mulching all the beds and seemed to enjoy himself, even though he could hardly stand up Sunday. I’m glad you were able to set aside the books and projects and meet with God in your garden.

(The books are my sanctuary.) Grace to you for all He sends.

Oh my. Yes. I’ve been bursting with importance too and the prayer book and the garden both are being neglected. Weeds growing in my very soul. Thank you, Laura for the gentle nudge and the honesty beauty of your words.

And this is due time to pull out the weeds in the garden of my feelings and thoughts, for Eden to bloom.

Thanks for this, Ms. Laura.