Playdates with God: Aftermath of the Storm

It feels like I’m falling in love, this feeling. There is the roller-coaster ride of the light rise always followed by this steep drop in my stomach that makes me turn away from the material and pine for the giddy again.
But I am Juliet and all the world conspires to keep me from my Beloved.
We are in Centering Prayer when the storm hits. Tucked in the chapel we hear the trees brush the rooftop…feel the pounding of the wind. And when the rain stick signals the end of our contemplation and we sing the final love song, we leave that safe womb one-by-one and stand in front of the courtyard windows—watch the rain dance horizontal across the patio.
And then the lights go out. My silent retreat ends in the dark.
We finish out the night by candlelight and the sun brings with it fallen trees and silence. No electricity. The city is quiet, joining in our silence in sympathy.
I wonder what God is up to? My Spiritual Director chuckles, but I have to get home and help my husband unload the freezer…salvage what we can. And we’re on day four with no electricity and we’ve all but moved in with my in-laws.
Thanks be to God for family in times like these—for the giving up of a bed and warm showers and hot food on the table. But I feel like I’m on pause, and I’m standing on this balcony asking.
Is there a way that love can breathe deep in the middle of the vast interruptions of life? Is there a way to hear the gentle words that woo me into ecstasy amidst the din of daily hassles?
If He was flesh, I would touch the softness of His cheek as I hurry by to catch life by the nose. If He could be held I would pull Him to me. It’s that ache for the physical—the walk in the cool of the garden—that I feel tonight as I settle into a bed that is not my own.
It’s the ache for home.
So I pull in as close as I can, cling tight to a Word for the journey.
…earnestly I seek you;
I thirst for you,
my whole being longs for you,
in a dry and parched land
where there is no water…
Because your love is better
Than life,
my lips will glorify you. (Psalm 63:1,3)

I’m reviewing an interesting book over at The High Calling today. Won’t you join me?

the Playdates button:

Sharing with L.L. Barkat today also:

On In Around button

Comments

Praying for restoration! There’s something though when we are emptied out of ourselves where we feel God more keenly, though! These storms have given me much to think about, though:) Praying for you friend!

Oh how times of being stretched leave us feeling in need of more. I am so thankful that I have the fullness of God as His beloved forgiven daughter. I am complete in Him, sharing in the fullness of His life on earth…all that He lived, I can partake of because He died. I need to renew my mind, but His Word promises me that I will never hunger or thirst again. Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst.” John 6:35 I’m learning to open my spirit more to receive what is already mine….I’m learning to not live in the poverty of spirit mentality that I used to and rejoice in being complete in Him. These moments of stretching are waking me up to what I have in Him. I may not sense it all but it is a done deal….learning to shift my thinking to embrace what is mine. This new way of thinking is revitalizing me….to walk in His love because we are One. Praying you have an awakening to the fullness you have….being complete in Him, one with Him, the One who sits at the Father’s right hand.

We once had no power for 4 days when it was bitter cold. It is a challenge to function without power when we are so used to it, isn’t it. Hope you all get power back soon.

Don’t you sometimes wonder about how God works? Why your retreat ended that way? But then – a silent retreat ends and you go back to your “regular” life and surely it is more quiet now too, with no power? I’m smiling at the nature of it all, though I pray that your air conditioning kicks on soon. It is so hot, and I know you want to go home. I understand that, for sure. Praying for you and so grateful that you were able to log on and blog for us all.

Oh, Laura, your post makes me ache for Jesus, too. I tell Him often, I just want to hold your hand! And look into your eyes! Praying for you as you piece life together after the storm. Thankful that you see Him in the shattering and scattering.

So beautifully said, Laura! Longing to hear His voice and see His face reminds us of how homesick we are.
    Thanks for the great post & for hosting the linkup!
    God bless,
    Laurie

I’ve not only experienced times like the aftermath of a storm and no electricity for days (more times than I like to remember) and I’ve taken those fill-me-up-Lord retreats too. Both have left me realizing the great need I have for Him and his calm in the storms of life. Praying for you, Laura, that all is okay back at your home and that God brings peace and joy to your aching heart!

Such beautiful words. Amazes me that you’re without electricity and in a bit of survival mode and can still share such beauty. Thank you. Praying all will be restored soon.

You have been in my prayers since I heard on Saturday that WV had been hit hard with widespread power outages. Thanks be to God that your family is safe and has shelter with family.

As a creature of habit myself, I feel for you in the disruption. May the Lord center you truly in Himself and deepen the lessons from the retreat even by means of this displacement and loss.

Grace to you, beautiful sister.

Oh my, I’ve been working on a guest post today about kairos and chronos and how to find kairos in the everyday. And really, yours is better. I know this ache, I’m feeling it more lately which is good because without it I would have no need of Him. Right? And I just wanted to say that I responded to your comment over at my place but just in case you don’t get back there I want you to know how much I love and appreciate you.

I was thinking about you, and praying for those affected by the storm. So glad you have family. Praying for you, and those affected by the storm.

Yes, the ache for Him…
    Hugs to you, Laura 🙂

I’ve been thinking about you all day! I keep hearing reports of families still without power. And, thanks to Cheryl Smith, I’ve learned a new word: derecho.

Glad to hear you’re in a safe place, surrounded by love.

Hi Laura

I hope that your power is restored soon. My mom has been affected as well and I have been so worried about her – but have been reminding myself that she is in God’s hands.

Would love for you to share your inspirational posts with us at Inspire Me Monday at

Create With Joy

“…it’s that ache for the physical…” Yes, Laura. Just to feel His presence in a palpable way.
    I’m glad you’re all right. I’ve been thinking about you and praying all is well. Prayers continue.

“But I am Juliet and all the world conspires to keep me from my Beloved.” Does this ever say it! I am made aware just this week of how much it’s a constant battle, whether amid shocking storms and their aftermath or subtle snares, and theirs! Now, we need this awareness. Someday, no hindrances, shocks, or snares!

I love this picture you’ve painted. You are meant to be right where you are at such a time as this, yet you long for home. And this is what we were created for.

I can assure you that if I were living through your particular storm, I would not be singing a love song to Jesus. But that’s why you’re such a great you!

Praying you get home soon.

Dearest Laura, your words resonate. I love you and what God does in and through you. Thanks for your love and prayers last week. I pray for you, too, friend.

This morning I woke up and was surprised to find myself in my own bed.

These words I found in one of your previous posts: “I am not very talented at receiving.” Same here. That’s one of the big things I learned last week.

Sending much love.

I didn’t realize until last night that I’ve been stressed. It was there, but I guess it didn’t register until later.

Still feeling disoriented in many ways.

I pray for you and send my love.

And, you look real good as an aviator, with those two beautiful ponytails. 😉