Playdates with God: Imago Dei

The wind and rain move through again late Sunday afternoon and as we are getting ready for our small group the lights flicker once…twice. But, praise God, they don’t go out. We stand at the window and watch the trees bend—thin lines of light break through the sky. It’s the third storm this week and we know it will hamper the efforts to restore power to the thousands still without.  But this rain brings with it cooler temperatures and that is a blessing to all.
We’ve invited the pastors to come and talk about what we’re doing here—so we can wonder aloud together for our church. We start with a song, like always, and Jeff plays the one I ask him to play—the one that made me cry in church that morning.
I preached on the Imago Deihow we carry the image of God—and the message left me a bit empty. I wanted it to say more, to be more…but when the tears came in the pew, I knew God is enough.

Everything is so new and each day brings with it new labor pains but I know better than to let that heavy weight rest on me. I close my eyes as we sing and I hear the voices that lighten the load. They bear the image of God. And when I open my eyes and see them all there—sitting in my living room—it takes me by surprise how much they feel like family.

And I think about the story in Mark 3—the one where Jesus’ family comes to get him because they say he’s out of his mind. And he give a new definition for family that day. He says, Whoever does God’s will is my brother and sister and mother.
It’s been a long weekend. It’s a sad thing to be separated from people I love. But this bridge we build—it goes up one brick at a time.
After the rain moves through, the earth is quenched and swept clean. We pray together and I see God in the faces of my friends.

the Playdates button:

Sharing with L.L. Barkat today also:

On In Around button

Comments

How do I embrace the “God-joy”? This week it will be with about 900 children in our church’s VBS. And we’re so grateful for the breaking of the heat wave too! Our VBS is held mostly outside. But as you say, it will be a joy to see children grab hold of God! Thanks for hosting, Laura!

Even your description of the rain sounds cooling and refreshing.

So thankful for the body of Christ–this family. I’d be lost without them.

Happy Monday, friend!

The message leaving you a bit empty because you wanted to say more and then realizing God is enough – that is right where I am. It’s what I wrote about today. Thankful for you and your heart.

I am learning…that the most beautiful sunset…georgous flowers…nothing in creation reflects His beauty…who He is better than the face of another…the one right in front of me…blessings and thanks~

I lived away from family for three years attending seminary. God richly blessed me with friends I now consider family there. It hurt to leave them when we moved back home.

MB

Dear Laura,
    Praise God that you let Him use you to communicate the message. Sometimes when we feel empty, He can fill us to overflowing more so than when we are filled with our own agendas.
    Thanks for the great post & for hosting the linkup, and God bless!
    Laurie

What a thought provoking post. I clicked on the song to hear what brought you to tears. Beautiful song. And the image of God within us and our community. Great lesson here today.

We sang that song at church yesterday, too! So glad lives are slowly coming back together after the storms. Grace and peace to you, Laura.

I am loving your blog..your keen observations in your playdate with God are full of the gratitude that brings both joy to God and contentment to us! Inspired!!!