31-(ish) Days to Wide-Eyed Wonder

Must I then lose the world forever, that I had so loved? Was it all, the whole bright and various planet, where I had been so ardent about finding myself alive, only  a passion peculiar to children, that I would outgrow even against my will?—Annie Dillard, An American Childhood

Because it’s about where I fix my eyes—it’s about seeing. And too many days I don’t see beyond the dusty corners of my world—mounds of laundry, hungry mouths, broken hearts and bodies…
I am nearsighted—blinded by everything I can put arms around. These are the things that grow dim; that I trip over every day as I stumble through life. Walk the dog, stir the rice, drive to work…
There are real things that can’t be touched or seen.
There are things so high they cannot be cupped in a hand. Things so wonder-full they are easy to miss. Because they require more than a distracted glance.
To keep my eyes open wide to wonder…I must shift the eyes of my heart.
It’s on the way to church on Wednesday night that I first feel the pull. We drive under a sky made of pulled cotton, when suddenly…the heavens pulse. There is a dark ripple passing over.
I look up.
I drop the boys for youth group and then I hurry back to that place where the sky breathes. I park the van, climb out and stand in the middle of the parking lot with my neck arched upward for dizzying moments. The way they swoop and domino through the sky makes my tummy drop—I close my eyes and I am flying with, my heart lifted by their communal dance. There are so many I can hear the wind cut through by their wings. I wonder if this is how the Holy Spirit must have sounded on that first day, so long ago? I see no tongues of fire but I feel the joy of His presence and I lift my hand in greeting.
The birds are heading south and the beauty of it breaks my heart. Is it because they are so close to the heavens that their journey seems lifted by joy? Surely they can feel the very heartbeat of God from where they are.
I stand there—alone but not–until they all pass over. How easy it would have been to miss this soaring grace–shift my eyes back to the dusty corners. But I let the eyes of my heart lead and the birds welcome me into this wild beating of heart and wing.
Some perch in treetops, others on the utility wires. But me? I  perch on the edge of wonder.
Ok, so I’m already behind. But all these 31 day-ers? They’ve ignited a fire and the flame of their passion is contagious. I know myself too well to say I’ll post every day…but I promise to try. If it sounds inviting to you and you don’t mind coming late to the party (like me), you can read more about the wave at The Nester’s place. She’s the hostess with the mostest.

Comments

1. Sharon O says

oh if you saw canadian geese that is my most favorite thing to do. I love to listen to their call, haunting sounds from the sky beckoning each to a steady pace and a continual movement. Cheers for each other, so much like we do down here.
    Good job my friend and looking forward to reading more.

So lovely, Laura…and I love your 31-ish. It’s your 31 days, your rules or no-rules, every day or not. I’m giving myself lots of grace in my 31 days. I’m too old to keep up, and too rebellious to stick to rules. =)

3. pastordt says

Yes, yes, YES. So glad you’re into this craziness with all of us crazy mamas out here. This is lovely. Look forward to whatever your eye and heart capture over these days.

I love, love the soaring birds this time of year. Just last night, out on the soccer field, with sky the color of cotton candy, Noah pointed up: “Look at all those birds!” and we marveled.
    Kudos to you, lovely friend, for taking on 31 (ish) days. I look forward to it…

The birds do something to me, Michelle. Megan Willome just told me the same. But you know what else? I”ve noticed that any time I lift my eyes up? Something in my spirit seems to lift up too. It’s pretty cool.

6. Pam says

mmm… beauteous. Reminds me of a time I pulled into work and literally hundreds of geese came soaring out from the lake behind the building, pouring out endlessly and i stood in awe… God’s majesty is so there on those wings. Thanks for bringing us there into your moment… ~ Pam, Apples of Gold

7. lindalouise says

I’m happy you’re doing this – for however many days. Laura – I think you always see so much beauty. You make me see it over and over again with your lovely words. I can’t wait to read, and see, more. Praying you are blessed abundantly as you do this.

Oh, Linda, you are so kind. I have been following your 31days posts and they were part of the inspiration that got me going. Thank you for that. I love how you see beauty too.

Oh, Linda, you are so kind. I have been following your 31days posts and
    they were part of the inspiration that got me going. Thank you for that.
    I love how you see beauty too.

10. soulstops says

oh, love that you pulled over and stopped, and perched “on the edge of wonder” and then shared with us…today, my heart struggled to see, so thank you, for letting me see through your eyes…grateful, Laura 🙂 Wishing you a blessed weekend with your family.