Playdates with God: When the Days Sparkle

The days are darker still and I find my spirit wants to sleep—to curl into a tidy ball and leave the rough stones of every day behind. We are storm-shy after the derecho and even though the worst of it will miss us, our cupboards are well-stocked, the flashlights are at the ready, and all of our electronics are charged.
On Friday when I drive Teddy to school the grade school is having its fall festival. As we make the short trip to the high school, we take in the crowds of little people moving across the field in small herds. There are grown ups in buckskin, old pieces of farm equipment, and a large black crock over a fire. Is it apple butter? We can smell wood smoke through the crack in my window.
“I remember that,” he says, as he studies the goings on. “Harvest Day was always so boring.”
And I am stunned because it seems like yesterday that his face was still round and gleaming with the possibility of a hay ride and there was that earnest crease to his brow as he listened to a leather-clad man discuss hunting and trapping.
When did the world lose its sparkle?
Not today, I think, as I look outside at the rain falling down—each common limb and leaf alight with dewy drops. I stand at the window and let the beauty awaken the sleeping parts of me.
I don’t want to miss a minute.
*The winner of Annie Wald ‘s book Walk with Me is Emily from Imperfect Prose! You are going to love this book, Em. I’ll be in touch to get your snail.

The Playdates button:

Sharing with Laura Barkat today also:
On In Around button

Comments

When did the world loss it’s sparkle? I am going to take this question with me…ask myself am I letting this moment be a sparkle moment…because with His Grace…can’t they all in some way? blessings and have a sparky day:)

Beautiful – I LOVE the way rain collects on bare limbs and falling leaves. I find myself simply gazing in wonder of the beauty of it all – just like this beautiful post of yours. We take that sparkle with us – don’t we? When Christ who lives in us lights our path and shines His glory all around us – we can bring the sparkle to others. Love, Patricia

This is a new season in my life, and God is awakening my spirit in new ways . . . a peace I don’t think I’ve ever experienced. I am grateful for the shift. I am alive and well and wanting to hold more of life in my heart. These are pilgrim days, and they’ve never been more important to me than now.

peace~elaine

4. Elizabeth says

You leave me eager to find the sparkle in my own world. Stay safe in this massive storm, hope its all past you. You deliver hope and beauty here. Thanks, friend.

5. amyscanderson says

You sparkle, dear Laura. When I read your words, see your photos, hear your voice and perspective~things do sparkle. It doesn’t seem you miss a minute at all.

6. nsda says

God is good, and the days sparkle with Him guiding our every step. Thanks Laura for hosting this lovely site. Nancy Kehr

It’s so hard to hear them dis things they used to love. I know this is a phase, too, and one day they’ll talk about these teenage years the same way. Our job as moms is to remember and to help them remember, too.

8. Soulstops says

love how you let beauty awaken the sleeping parts of you…such is its power when you let it…praying God watches over you all as Sandy passes…thanks, Laura 🙂

The news talked of blizzards in WV today. Praying for you and yours.

Rich Mullins had a song called “Growing Young.” To my ears it’s talking exactly about getting that sparkle back in our world. Children wonder, adolescents often scoff, but we adults have a choice. Am I too busy and preoccupied to rejoice? I hope not.

What a great perspective to look at the rain with eyes that see beauty. And what a lesson I want to live out before the boys. All days sparkle, because God sparkles. This is the 2nd blog today about not letting circumstances dictate a response. I’m listening! 🙂 I always appreciate your thoughts and insights into life. Hugs to you! Michelle

11. Pam says

I thought of you today with the weather report… and just receiving the book you sent yesterday. It looks great and I can’t wait to read it. Yes, I’ll let you know when I finish… maybe even post about it. 🙂

Love this post! My favorite of your words: “The dressing falls down in heavy lace—a veil, I think—and a winter wedding is the mystery of heaven drifting down.” Mmmm… oh such a wondrous word picture! Thank you again for sending the book!!