Playdates with God: Enter Advent with Bread

hanging greens 2012 007

On Sunday morning I sanctify Jeffrey’s pancakes. I speak the invitation and the words of institution over the puddles of syrup on his plate. He chews slow and looks at me out of the corner of his eye.

I am practicing—for in a couple hours I’ll be presiding over my first ever Communion Table all by myself. It’s a gift my pastors have given me and it feels strange to let these sacred words make my tongue holy—to make this kitchen and this table and every moment I breathe…holy.

I am all shaky inside but I am happy too.

The night before, I read through the entire section in the Book of Common Worship on The Eucharist. I googled up different ways to say it all and felt my heart pulse wonder and gratitude at this great mystery. In the end I returned to the Book of Common Worship. There is a reason it is the standard.

I wrote my own script out by hand, combining different pieces of all I read and this is what I speak over Jeffrey’s pancakes. And I speak the words a couple hours later, to my brothers and sisters that I worship with every Sunday. These people who have been Jesus to me—the ones who give him hands and skin.

It makes me breathless and I want to take off my shoes—right there in front of the Table—take off my shoes and dance down the aisle. It wouldn’t matter if I stumbled over a few words then, would it? I say this, “Friends, this is the joyful feast of the people of God…”

Shouldn’t we? Dance?

“It is the resurrected, living Christ we encounter in the bread and the wine…”

Is this not cause to rejoice?

Afterwards, we have Sunday school and go on home and I fall asleep on the couch—just like I hadn’t just shared a feast with Jesus. Just like this is normal…to share a table with the risen Lord…is this normal?

Later we meet back up at the church and we frock her in green and light. It’s a small crowd but love flows thick down these halls and I–I know what Communion really means.

These words echo in my heart as we trim the tree: Being made one with Christ, we are made one with all who belong to Christ, united with the church in every time and place…(Book of Common Worship, page 42).

Communion. Every moment…holy. Every moment, a feast.

The Playdates button:

I’m making an exciting announcement today over at The High Calling! Hope you’ll accept the invitation…

Comments

1. bluecottonmemory says

A meeting Christ right there, recommitting that relationship, saying I more than remember I want to be Christ in me – beautiful reminder Laura of such a special, powerful action that communion is!

Oh, I wish I could be there in body and spirit when you preside over communion, Laura. What a gift you must be to the people in your community, offering the Gift amongst them. I’m glad you shared the gift with us, too, even in this way. The Lord blesses through it.

3. Ro elliott says

I love the quote…how we need to be reminded…or a least me…and I am thankful for this community…linked by His Love…and thank-you for presiding here as well~ blessings and thanks~

I love that you said those words over pancakes. Holy Communion is special–no doubt about it–but so is breaking bread together every single day. Let us now give thanks for humble breakfast food and for families and for the God who made both.

5. messymarriage says

Yes, the mundane mingled with the holy is hard to grasp sometimes, but you’ve illustrated the need for it, the reality of it here beautifully, Laura. I’m so happy that you love what you are doing and that God is using you in mighty and honorable ways. And I love your humble humanity threaded throughout all of your posts!

6. kingfisher says

What a blessing for you, Laura, to be able to offer communion to your church congregation. And for you to make a sacrament of pancakes at home, God must be smiling in fond love, at your appreciation for Him, and how you choose to see all of life as sacred and holy, and look for his presence in every circumstance.

Your life, your generosity, your willing heart — all bless me! I’m so glad I get to be a cyber friend!

Ah, Ro. Your words are so sweet. We do usher in the sacred for each other in so many ways, don’t we? I want my words to be life giving…transforming. You all mean so much to me.

When I read the last part of that quote, Lisa–united with the church, I every time and place…I couldn’t help thinking of my online friends–how we are one, even though many of us have never met. Gives me goosebumps.

It was a very powerful experience for me–not because I think that those who preside over the table have any special connection…but because of the tender feeling of hospitality and service. A very special day.

Love these moments you share as you step into the newness of leading this way in the tradition I share. I wish I could be present to see it in real life. And yes, we should dance, definitely dance.

11. pastordt says

Love every word of this – brilliant to practice with the pancakes. It would never have occurred to me. Of course, on the Sunday of my first communion, there would have been NO pancakes – too overcome to pull that off. I’m strange that way. :>)

I want to dance every week, leaving the communion table. In my stoic church people would think I am crazy so I at least smile, and dance in my heart. Great post on communion.

13. Diane | AnExtraordinaryDay.net says

Wow! I could feel your words and passion and love for Christ and the celebration. So well said. So often taken for granted. Thank you Laura!!!!

14. amyscanderson says

Love the way your presiding and practicing permeated your time and thoughts~so very right. Rejoicing in the resurrected, living Christ~your words here poured out beautifully.

15. Donna says

This is beautiful – and I’m so happy for you, that you got to be the one to say the words and give the invitation! 🙂 I pray that no matter how many times you do this, the enormity and wonder of what you are doing and saying will be just as breath-taking as this first time.