Playdates With God: Snow Dance

The falling snow in her quiet is my kin. The way she comes, soft, and nests unheard on tree limbs and rooftops—this, my song. She spins her dance through pale sky and wind with silent grace—no thunder clapping prologue…no window tapping insistence. Just this—slow falling accumulation that takes one by surprise in the morning.
Today we are intimates, my cousin snow and I. This morning she came calling with this gift of replevied beauty—the land all luminous and pristine—and reminded me that it is still Christmas. I awakened to the remnants of a week of feasting…cookie crumbs on the floor, half-eaten trays of confectionaries on the counter, the festive dishes stacked in neat piles. And laundry.
Full days of merry lead to neglect of the washing and I awaken this morning to this realization. Mounds and mounds of it. There is a load of whites in the dryer waiting for my hands and I fill the other with colors—blue jeans, the new pajamas my mother-in-law gifted me with, my youngest’s Christmas robe…in they go. I carry the basket of whites in the living room and am about to feel the weight of it all when she comes. I see her twirling snow dance through the French doors and I sit the basket down, lean into the glass and let these drifting flakes fill me. My breath is lace and I feel the cold press through me.
The light of morning has not yet come to full and my boys still dream upstairs. There is nothing in her dance to alarm or awaken them. Yet I feel the stirring of these tiny bits of heaven’s light divagating in the dawn.
Christmas coming down.
Sunday morning the pastor reminded us that there are 12 days of Christmas…this season is not over until the magi discover the Christ on Epiphany Sunday—January 6. This I tend to forget, or disregard in my desire to return to the norm. Things need to settle down, after all.
But my heart strains against leaving this season behind. The babe sleeps soft in the manger. On Christmas morning our youngest plucked the Christ child from his hiding place and now the core of our nativity is complete. The wise men still wander.
There is nothing ordinary about the falling snow—nothing every day-ish. Her crystalline flakes float in the wind, carrying shimmer to earth. My cousin snow understands how to go about the business of life and carry beauty within.
Can I see Christmas this way? Can I carry it like a snow-dance all year long? Fall back into the rhythm of life with quiet beauty that falls over all it touches—embracing, covering, spreading Christmas over all?
I back away from the glass and return to the basket. This quiet—this time alone is usually my prayer time. I stare at scads of white and determine this: this laundry will be my prayer. These balls of socks are my prayer beads, each soft fold a line of grace. I touch the stuff of life with my heart and I know that this is Christmas. The snow-dance lifts me, spins my every-day around. We dip and sway back into life in a quiet rhythm of beauty.
And I hum my prayer as the snow continues to fall.

*This article ran in the Charleston Gazette yesterday, so I thought I’d re-print it here!
How do you embrace the God-joy? Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him.

Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

The Playdates button:

Comments

you have given us sweet and gentle and lovely writing … I, too, am taken in by snow’s gentle, peaceful falling to the earth.
    and yes, most things Christmas have been packed away, and I am so missing the twinking lights at the windows and on the tree …

I know, I know, Linda! I guess it wouldn’t be so special if we kept those twinkling lights and those splashes of red up all year. But you want to know a secret? I kept a couple of my tiny nativity scenes out this year :). It makes me happy to look upon them.

I am here. Awake. While kids sleep. Mounds of laundry. Dreading taking Christmas down. I feel like your week….your heart….your thoughts are mine this morning. Thanks for letting us into your world! Thanks also for the link up, as always!

4. Linda Chontos says

I sat at the kitchen table thinking similar thoughts Laura (without the accompaniment of a beautiful snowfall, however). I don’t want Christmas to be over – and really why should it? The story continued. He didn’t remain in the manger. There is so much more, and we get to carry it in our hearts.
    This is so beautiful Laura. I am so delighted that it was published so that it will go out – a lovely gift to so many others.

Christmastide.

A friend used this word a few days ago and I had to look it up. It means the segment of the year from Christmas Eve till Jan. 6. Just lingering in the white, pure, new birth here, too.

A New Year, yes. But not at the expense of rushing past Christmastide.
    Thanks for this, Laura.

Last year I didn’t want to “do” Christmas, and only when the kids insisted did I go out and buy a small white tree. This year Christmas was late while I was in Haiti, and now I don’t want it to go away. We are having the window behind the tree replaced this week, but I’m just going to try to drag the tree away from it. I just want to linger here in the softness of your words. But if I can carry the snow dance all year…

So lovely, Laura. I feel the same way about snow, but I have to go find her because she doesn’t often fall where I live. I spent last week in Colorado, with mounds and mounds of snow. It restored my soul.

One of my very favorite things to read is your reflections from your morning run. This is like those updates. It makes me see the ordinary in an entirely different way, and it makes me wish I were running right beside you.

9. Pam says

Thanks again for your sweet message on my post… thoughts that came floating into my heart in prayer and after reading your lovely words here. Oh how snowflakes falling captures! And I’m so enjoying the lights still twinkling in my neighborhood right now… amazing because they usually turn them off immediately following Jan 1. Don’t want to see it go either… Pam, apples of gold

“These balls of socks are my prayer beads, each soft fold a line of grace.” Such poetry! So lyrical… you’ve done it again. We had an unusual Christmas Day snow, so I have fresh images ready suited to your words.