Indian Red

iphonephotos047_zpsd9c4d0d2 photo iphonephotos047_zpsd9c4d0d2-1_zpsea2be31a.jpg

On the way to work this morning, the sky is Indian red. I drive underneath a cloud of starlings—thousands of silhouettes whirling out of the trees on the hillside. The light is coming earlier, the dark dispersing like spilled ink thinning on paper.
And I am right here.
Here in this minivan motoring along I-64 on my way to Charleston—covered with an Indian red sky. Here in this forty-ish body that is softening in the middle and graying on top. Here. In this particular place, at this particular time.
The earth lifts up to meet the sky and the red fades yellow and my eyes are full—my heart is full—with right now.
How many minutes have I lived in this space my body takes up—wishing I was somewhere else? How many hours have I frittered away, longing? And what would happen if I gave this moment its due? If I stayed right here?
It’s a tiny glimpse of kairos, this way my eyes are seeing and I—I am peeking into heaven.
I lean over to turn off the radio. And I watch the light come.

Comments

1. kingfisher says

How lovely, Laura — your description of the sky, the birds. And especially how lovely the way your heart leads you to appreciate “the moment”, prompts you to see the hand and thought of the Creator in everything.

God bless you richly and abundantly.

Love ya’!

2. pastordt says

Such moments call for turning off the radio. YES, they do. Thank you for painting it so perfectly, Laura. Sigh.

3. Hazel Moon says

At a time like this it is time to turn off the radio and simply bask in God’s lovelyness!
    Those birds are enjoying the Indian red sky also!

4. J. B. Wood says

Laura- the image, the words, the longing for presence….It crackles with truth. So familiar, so universal. We make ourselves elusive, and we don’t know why.

Read this recently, “And in that instant I understood that if I were to pay attention to the spaces between and just behind the things I thought I needed to look at, there was no limit to what I might witness. . . . ” (by Trebbe Johnson) and also Barbara Brown Taylor’s chapter on being bodily people. Trying to embrace presence as the doorway to life and God’s kingdom. Thanks for the reminder.

6. Amy Anderson says

Isn’t it wonderful how life becomes more beautiful, embodied in this moment and this perspective and this place, even as there is a softening and graying? A depth of beauty.