Manna Moments

In the morning, I gather manna.
It falls from heaven in yellows and blues and greens. It drips from words and music. It sits like lace under dew all soft and hoary. I want to scoop beauty up in great armfuls, hide these honey-wafers in my tent—but I know this is not the good way. I have smelled the stench of trusting in what my hands can hold; I have watched the teeming maggots.  Each day has enough trouble of its own, Jesus said. And when I try to secret away my manna, I am only thinking of these troubles. The troubles of tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. If I don’t gather fresh and new—if I don’t gather this daily bread; I will be hungry all day. I find the way to the heart of God—the place that nourishes and fills—and I feast. I know this is how I must be fed—with new bread each day. Sometimes each moment.
Yesterday, when I went running with my youngest son, I was glad.
This feels good, I told him. It seems like we’ve had too much dying lately. It makes me feel so tired…tired and sad.
I was fresh from a funeral—a beautiful celebration. But a reminder of all that is empty in this life.
If there’s been too much dying, he said. Then you need to do too much living.
It made sense when there were endorphins running through my brain, and I laughed beside him as he matched my stride.
Manna.
The manna is a gift, and I do the careful work of gathering. And when the hard moments come with sharp pains of hunger…I find I have just what I need.

Comments

1. amyscanderson says

This just gave me a deep breath out. Thank you. Just beautiful~and what wise words, “If there’s been too much dying, then you need to do too much living.”

2. Cheri says

Dear Laura~
    How timely this word is for me. We lost a dear friend last week. It has been hard! I love what your son said! On my way to do “too much living!”

Beautiful post! LOVED!!!

Blessings,
    Cheri

3. Jody Collins says

Here’s what Jesus did for me this morning–gave me a gift of bread to answer my hunger that I didn’t know I needed–the sight of a friend and a smile, that was an answer–“Oh yes, Jesus.” Thank you.
    this was beautiful and a timely reminder.

Do you know, this post started out to be about depression? Talking with someone I love last night–someone who is not doing very well right now…I was grateful for the manna.

5. Hazel Moon says

Much living while there is a still a now! Yes we owe it to others we love to live to the fullest. Your wise son understands his mama!

6. Mia says

Hi Laura
    What a fresh new outlook on manna. Trying to hoard today’s for tomorrow, means a lack of trust that our Pappa will be with us fresh and new every morning!
    Much love
    Mia

I keep thinking about that widow Elijah meets, gathering those dry, broken sticks so she can go home and cook a final meal for her son – empty. And yet, Elijah comes and the oil and the flour last, but I wonder if she still felt like each drop was the last?

God sent me two “angels” today in the midst of great need and I don’t know what will come tomorrow, but for today there is enough.