Playdates with God: Joy Dance

They come to this place to have their broken parts fixed and the people I work with work hard. They care, they really do.  But when the fixing needs a little nudge or there is no fixing to be done, they come and get me.
That’s how I end up sitting at his bedside: They told him there was nothing left that they could do.
I’d met him before—in his sleep. We couldn’t get him to awaken so I sat with his family in the dim light with rain pattering the window. They told me who he is—who he was…what he likes to do…Who he loves. They told me how fast this has all happened.

I listened.

He’s a tall man but his proud frame has wasted into a smallish one. The top of his head is fuzzy with new-growing hair. He keeps rubbing it when he talks to me. No longer asleep, he looks me in the eye. He can’t always find the words; his mind a bit fuzzy. But when he can’t get it out, he just looks at me with a vague smile and points up.
I smile back. With watery eyes. Because I know exactly what he’s talking about.
His family is quiet and he keeps reaching for his wife’s hand. The air flows gentle in this place. I ask because I can’t help myself and he smiles again. We pray together. I hold his hand and it is strong and tender. His voice is sure as he leads this familiar conversation. When he is finished, he tells me that he will see me again one day.
We will be dancing with joy, he says.
Will you save me a dance? I ask.
Yes, he says. I will.

And when I walk away, I leave something real with him. And I carry something real with me.

Hope is something we hold in our hands.

How do you embrace the God-joy? Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him.

The Playdates button:

Comments

1. Dawn Paoletta says

Tender…hanging on to ponder this today- I feel this: Hope is something we hold in our hands…thanks, Laura. Powerfully and gently moving. Bless you in this…bless them in their loss.

2. OutnumberedMom says

Your ministry among that family is real, and sweet, and true. What a blessing that moment was. Thanks for sharing it with us, Laura.

3. bluecottonmemory says

I have been there – had the family member – and it is sweet blessing when those that love God carefully listen and minister like that!

4. Diane | AnExtraordinaryDay says

Laura, this brings back memories of sitting with my parents and my aunt. Tender, sweet, and difficult. I’m grateful that they all knew Jesus. I was privileged to sit with them. I cannot imagine it being your work. Grateful to know that it’s your call…the carrier of Hope. How blessed each one is for your ministry as they enter the valley of the shadow.

5. kingfisher says

What a tender, sensitive telling of your presence –and Jesus’ — in another person’s life. So many people would not be able to handle a job like yours. They wouldn’t be sensitive enough, or aware enough, or comfortable enough — or being around those near the end of life would be too distressing. So thankful, Laura, that God has placed you in this gentle ministry. He must be smiling at your willingness to pick up on the signs of concern and offer your compassion and his love.

Love ya, gal!

kingfisher’s latest post is “Broken, Shines” at

6. Linda Chontos says

I think, were I ever in that dear man’s place, how filled with joy and hope I would feel in your presence. Your words flow from a compassionate heart Laura, and they minister in Jesus’ name.

7. Hazel Moon says

Bringing comfort is a ministry and you were the one that was needed. This is such a sweet post and you will be saving that dance!

What a precious interchange. As Sandra said, you do have a sacred calling. God has given you a beautiful gift, Laura, one that not many have. It must make Him smile so to see you exercising it even when that brings tears. Well done, sister.