Playdates with God: Haircut

Last summer, when both of my boys were hospitalized within a few days of each other, in the midst of my tired I thought: How do parents of chronically ill children do this? Out of my pain and worry and gratitude was born a new compassion. Ever since, I’ve waited–keeping my heart open for a way to give.

Last week, I donated my hair to Children With Hair Loss, an nonprofit organization that provides hair replacement for children with medically related hair loss, for free. Open since 2000, on their website, CWHL says to this day they have never charged a child. You can read about the requirements for donating your hair here.

It’s a small thing. But love is never too small.

*Over at The High Calling today, we are continuing our book club discussion on Ann Kroeker‘s Not so Fast. It’s the perfect book to read after Easter–a book to help us maintain the slowing down and focus on God. Charity Singleton-Craig writes today. Will you join us?

the Playdates button:

Comments

1. smoothstones says

Durn, you’re beautiful. You’d be beautiful bald. You’re just one of those people who doesn’t need hair at all.

2. Diane | AnExtraordinaryDay says

When I first saw the post I thought…”Did she get her head shaved?” A friend of mine did that recently with great love. I love that you gave your hair. Several of ‘my’ kids at church had done that and some of them several times over. What a great thing to do. You look fabulous with your new ‘do’ too!! Classy!
    May God bless you with an Extraordinary week!

3. Nancy Sturm says

I love the new do! And kudos to you for donating the hair to a child. Thanks for the post and the playdate.

4. Elizabeth Hernandez says

Being a hairdresser this blesses my heart so much! I have sent others hair to locks of love. This is awesome. I had no idea there was a place to send hair for children with hair loss. Thank you so much for sharing this. I don;t actual work with those that can give their hair any longer but I do know hairdresser’s that might. Love the hair cut very cute and very becoming on you. Blessings

5. amyscanderson says

You look adorable! I know it’s not about that, and I appreciate the meaning of what you did, but still! You do look adorable. What a wonderful gift.

6. Mia says

Dear Laura
    You know what, sweet friend, you short hair shows the light of His love even brighter through your eyes!
    Blessings
    Mia

Thanks, Elizabeth! I must admit, it felt good to shed all that hair. Locks of love wanted 10 inches. I gave 9. And was glad not to have to wait out another inch 🙂

Laura,
    I did the same thing about 6 years ago. My hair was very long – about 13 inches and very thick – made 2 pony tails. I gave it to Angel Hair (I think).
    Good for you. Nice cut too.
    Blessings,
    Janis

9. OutnumberedMom says

LOVE the ‘do! And what a cool thing to do. Isn’t it amazing what we learn in times of hardship — the compassion and empathy we develop? After Andrew’s bout with walkers and wheelchairs, all of us stop and hold doors for anyone who’s moving slowly. The Lord wisely uses it all, doesn’t He?

10. Hazel Moon says

My mother had hair down to her waist, that she braided and criss crossed on top of her head. Drastically she decided for a more modern style and donated her long tresses to one of the organizations that will accept hair. Your new style is so cute. Easy to care for too.

11. pastordt says

I LOVE THIS HAIRCUT!!! And that you did it for such a great cause makes it even more stunning. You look like a new (and I think maybe younger?) version of yourself. WELL DONE. And the story, is, as always, beautifully told.

12. Pam OBrien says

It’s beautiful. I love it. And look at those blue eyes of yours… whoa! Stunning. What a nice thing to do – donate your hair. I would like to… I just don’t know if I have the courage to go that short. I’ve always been a long hair wearer.

I love your new cut! My daughter and I both donated our hair last year–my hair was to my waist and I donated 17 inches! I didn’t think that I could do it and I did cry–but the first time I washed my hair and it dried all in one day . . . it felt amazing–I’m growing it out now to donate again.

Be blessed as you have blessed others.

Your new cut looks beautiful! I’ve always wanted to donate my hair- but I’d be bald if I cut off a few inches. I’m hoping to talk my girls into this act of love this summer.

15. Elizabeth W. Marshall says

Laura beautiful story, beautiful you. When you start whispering your words, I cup my ear and walk away touched by tender.

16. soulstops says

“But love is never too small.” Yes. You look beautiful with your new haircut. Praying your son is recovering well.