Playdates with God: Art Walk

Listen! The only things that matter are your footfalls and the steady beating of your heart. Stand in a patch of sun spilling through the canopy of trees. Slide your hand across the skin of a mossy rock. Close your eyes and inhale the scent of the years of decay that created the fertile soil where you stand.

Listen? There have been messages left behind. Paw prints and hooves, scat…initials carved in a tree. Everywhere you go someone has gone before. You will never be alone in this long journey. If you try, you can feel the unseen. Have you tried? Have you offered up your reason, have you let go of the weight of understanding? Lift up the need for proof and let the wind carry it. Then you will find evidence—deep inside of you. Open your heart to possibility. Let hope bloom in your inside places.

Today, touch everything with love. The spider spins in secret but the morning dew gives him away. There is nothing in your heart that is not known.

Listen. Is there not wonder in every living thing? Is there not beauty in every blade of grass?

Close your eyes. Do you see?

The five winners of Billy Coffey’s new novel When Mockingbirds Sing are Heather, Linda Stoll, Sharon O. Susan Etole, and Amy Jones. Congratulations! I’ll be in touch but if you see this first, email your snail to laraj@suddenlink.net.

Today at The High Calling, Nancy Franson leads us in our discussion of Chip and Dan Heath’s book Decisive. Join us? You might want to join the network while you’re over there.

The Playdates button:

Comments

Oh, how I wish I could capture photographs as beautifully as you do, Laura. What a breath of fresh, clean air for my soul. Spectacular blend of words and images, as usual.

So much richness in this post! I will try to live like this more today:

“Listen? There have been messages left behind.
    …Today, touch everything with love”

Thanks, Laura!

3. Mia says

Dear Laura
    You captured my sentimental side with your words about the morning dew giving the spiderweb away! Just as beautiful as the picture! Thanks.
    Much love
    Mia

4. bluecottonmemory says

Just looking around – and there are love letters from Him everywhere – your post makes me want to go for a walk in the coolness of the morning and let the moss tell me about the glory of God!

I just had a brief “retreat” last week and it gave me the opportunity to live in the present, as you’ve so eloquently written about here, Laura. But what you’ve written urges me on to be more observant as well as participatory in my everyday life. Thanks for that gentle nudge in the right direction. 🙂

This piece is gorgeous, gorgeous, Laura. God’s creation fills me up every single time. Just like you say: “In this forest, you have everything you need for resurrection. Let your soul awaken from the long sleep.”

I just love that, girl. xxoo

7. Pam says

Lovely Laura, I love your heart… this is so beautiful to me. Especially as I spent yesterday afternoon walking around taking photos, just enjoying the beauty of man’s architecture and God’s architecture… love the thought here of all who have gone before…

What a beautiful walk! The faces/masks carved into the rocks fascinate me.

The Lord had me in listening mode this morning, too. Actually, a lot lately. I heard my name most loudly in this sentence from your post: “Let hope bloom in your inside places.” The blooming of hope… yes. And yours as well, friend.

“There is nothing in your heart that is not known.” I pray I allow the beauty of each day to freely open as God wants it to in my life. A fine post, Lara.