The Garden Gives Back

It’s that time of year again…the garden gives back for all those weeks you tenderly cajoled, pleaded, and toiled. Right now? Time in the kitchen feels like love and basil pesto is the summer valentine. And, mmmmmmm, it smells so good while you are making it. I freeze mine in ice cube trays, pop them out, and store in freezer bags. Wha-la! Individual portions anytime you need one. Excellent for a quick pesto pizza, to toss in with some pasta, or just for dipping fresh Italian bread.

If I don’t have pine nuts, I’ll use whatever I have on hand. Walnuts and pecans make for a richer sauce, but what’s not to love about that? And for me? The more garlic, the better. And just for fun, why not try a different kind of cheese? There’s no wrong way to make a pesto.

Makes my mouth water just thinking about it :).

Comments

1. kendalprivette says

just made pesto yesterday – for grilled chicken. my younger is allergic to nuts, so made mine sans. still quite tasty:) i love love love using my garden.

2. Elizabeth Anne May says

Yum… I make pesto every summer and freeze it in ice cube trays. That way, when I need some I just pop a cube or two out to defrost šŸ™‚

I know, right? Do you see my ice cube tray in the photo? Such a great day to have a taste of summer well into fall. I could eat gobs of pest on bread alone….

Yum! Great idea about how to freeze it. Our basil is not too happy about the heat right now, but we might have as much as 2 cups. This weekend, perhaps.

5. Nancy Sturm says

Yummm! Thanks for sharing. I don’t have a garden this year, but we have a great farmer’s market! I have my shopping list ready!

6. Leanne says

I have pesto ice cubes in my freezer. Need to put them in baggies. Also, as i have someone with nut allergies in my house, I’ve substituted roasted sunflower kernels and they are good!

7. Jody Ohlsen Collins says

Too bad there’s no ‘scratch and sniff’ button for this post. I LOVE the smell of basil. Yum!

I am not a fan of pesto, but have had it on my “list” (mental) of things to try again now that I’m getting more creative in the kitchen…looks awesome! (Thanks for stopping by my blog!)