Playdates with God: Harvest

We’ve been enjoying the garden; canning, cooking, eating from her table. This is a post from last summer when we were deep in the same. Makes me hungry…
The garden’s days are waning but still the tomato plants are heavy with fruit. There are mounds of peppers and some cucumbers too. So Sunday after church, Jeff and I spend the afternoon in the kitchen. We seed and core tomatoes for the puree, dice, chop, and roast until our valley home is filled with the aroma of love.
The spaghetti sauce simmers and I get out our favorite book of salsa recipes. Something must be done with all these jalapeno peppers. The basil is looking peaky too, so I dig around in the cupboard to see what I have to make pesto with. There are no pine nuts, but pecans will make a rich blend, so I press the garlic into the processor and think heaven must smell like an Italian deli. The pesto goes into an ice cube tray for freezing individual portions.
Jeff and I stand side by side and scoop fresh salsa onto tortilla chips—I like it spicy but he prefers the mild. We can some of it to keep for the winter, along with the spaghetti sauce, and my eyes are full for the blessings of the vine. The pickles will have to wait for a bulkier yield, but I dice up a cucumber for a salad at dinner time and taste clean joy.
It’s a delicious way to open the eyes to the world around, I think. A delicious way to unfold. But we are not ready to open to full bloom just yet. This place of tender love is sweet medicine.
Besides…there are still more tomatoes.

The Playdates button:

Comments

1. JosephPote says

There’s just something earthy and wholesome about putting up a harvest, isn’t there? Something in the whole process of planting, tending, praying, harvesting, preparing, storing and enjoying…

2. bluecottonmemory says

Delicious! I’m wanting to make some eggplant parmesan with tomatoes from MY garden – but my tomatoes failed miserably this year. The chard didn’t – nor the chocolate mint and lemon balm and the hot peppers. I love being able to pull down out some canned summertime in the middle of winter:)

3. Rina says

All this abundant harvest, your cooking (I can almost smell that sauce!), and the delicious photos are making me craaave. But more than that, I’m inspired and thankful that we have a God who blesses.

my only offering to bring to your playdates table this week was all about being a meat and potatoes girl. imagine my delight when I saw that you, too, were cooking up a storm!
    happy holiday, dear Laura!
    ;-}

5. Mia says

Laura
    I cook a very nice tomato jelly. If you are interested I will send you my recipe?
    Thanks for sharing your on the source.

6. Nancy Sturm says

Mmm…what a wonderful way to share God’s bounty–both by your preserving the food and posting about it for others to enjoy. Thanks!

I remembered this industrious, appetizing post! Enjoy your bounty.
    The drought and water restrictions have squelched the production of Allen’s garden this year, except for the hot peppers. If you lived nearby, I would definitely share them for your salsa.

Grace and peace to you in Jesus, friend.

LOVE this… heaven must smell like an Italian Deli, yes I agree :-). I wish I had planted larger tomatoes, but I went with cherries this year. We are just now picking a plethora of harvest off the vine and it is oh so succulent. I made salsa today… and now I’m heading over to check out your salsa cookbook.

9. soulstops says

Laura,
    I am drooling…fresh salsa, and homemade spaghetti sauce…our tomatoes were lost to a fungus hidden in our soil this year :( But a kind neighbor shared her tomatoes with us…and fresh basil…love the smell and taste with tomatoes in scrambled eggs :)

Yum! Laura…and I am so very hungry having had only half a Clif bar and a cup of tea hours ago. Time for a snack…do you deliver? :) We didn’t plant a garden this summer since we are in process of moving. Thankfully our local farm stand is lush with summer produce. Thanks again, my sister, for hosting this link up! Blessings to you and yours…