Playdates with God: A Prayer for the Work of Your Hands

Can work be play?  Do you dare to see your work as an extension of God’s good work in this world? Invite God into the work of your hands and see how it refreshes; changes everything. A blessing for your hands this Monday:

The New Woman
by Kurinji Nathan of Sri Lanka

The hands which gently tend the leaves(1)
Will now help to banish gloom;
They’ll work hard to put down evil,
And to raise up for all, new life.

The hands which gently tend the leaves
Will help nourish all that is good;
They’ll work hard to weed out poverty,
And bring new culture and art.

The hands which gently tend the leave
Will show new ways for humankind;
They’ll work hard to build those structures
In which truth and right will be found.
With your help, Oh, Lord. Bless the work of our hands. Amen.

(1) Refers to the tea leaves on the bushes in the tea plantations of Sri Lanka, which are tended and plucked by Tamil women workers.

*I found this prayer here, as part of a service, In Praise of Hands. It’s a beautiful service in its entirety.

The Playdates button:

Comments

1. Mia says

Dear Laura
    Yes, when our God blesses the work of our hands there us not a single thing we do apart from sin that is not holy. Like A.W. Tozer describes it so beautifully; the whole world then becomes a sanctuary.
    Blessings XX
    Mia

2. bluecottonmemory says

I think if I didn’t see the work of my hands in the daily as an extension of God’s work in my life – I would become very depressed and sad because that would leave such a large portion of the day in darkness:)

3. Nancy Sturm says

As a high school English teacher, I learned to make my work God’s work. He enabled be to see the unlovely as His precious children. Some days that made all the difference in the world, for me and my students.
    Thank you, Laura, for sharing all these lovely prayers and poems.

Beautiful, Laura. Reminds me of Psalms 90:17: “May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us– yes, establish the work of our hands.”

5. Kelly Hausknecht Chripczuk says

When I worked as a hospital chaplain we did a blessing of the hands service during Holy Week and took oil around to the different departments throughout the day to offer blessings. It was very well received and meaningful . . . hmmm . . . maye something for my church to try next Easter. Thanks for posting, Laura.

What a beautiful prayer-poem. So simple, yet so profound. May I keep these words close to my heart as I go through my day of work in the home and in writing, being ever mindful that even the tiniest gestures when done with the right heart count … from here to eternity. Thanks for the link up, Laura, and blessings on you and yours…