Playdates with God: The Beauty of First

We awaken this morning to a fairy land—the world outside covered in a glittering filigree.  A fine dusting still sifts down—covering over the mud of last week’s rains, dressing up the browns of the dead grasses in the meadow.
On the way out to pick up flowers for his winter formal date Saturday afternoon, my youngest asked me about my first school dance. How old were you, he wanted to know. And who was the boy? Did I like him?  It seems a million years ago that I sat with the boy next door on his car port, dangling legs over the cool concrete edge and falling headlong into my first case of puppy love and my first broken heart. But my little man doesn’t want to know the ins and outs of the infancy of my love life—he’s only trying to make sense of all the feelings surging up inside of him.
So I tell him the good things, the happy memories; and for a moment I am young again—fresh as the snow falling outside my window right now. He gives me a gift by asking for a story and the remembering helps me to hold his story-in-making more gently. Will his son one day ask him about this night? This first?
Suddenly, the wind is knocked out of me as all the “firsts” he must experience come reeling over. And the newness of it all is a sparkle in his big baby blues. My tired eyes catch the glimmer of all that new—mercies new every morning—and I hold on to this: God still has a lot of “firsts” left for me too.
So I open my eyes wide.

Have you had a “first” this past week?

Over at The High Calling today, writer Shawn Smucker is talking about music. I love the way Shawn weaves a story. Will you join us?

How do you embrace the God-joy? Every Monday I’ll be sharing one of my Playdates with God. I would love to hear about yours. It can be anything: outside, quiet time. Maybe it’s solitary. Maybe it’s loud and crowded. Just find Him. Be with Him. Grab my button at the bottom of the page and join us:

The Playdates button:

Comments

Yes, my teenage son set his alarm to wake up earlier than his usual noon on Saturday . . .just because he didn’t want to “waste the day sleeping.” This is huge, let me tell ya. An awakening inside a boy becoming a man. Love this sweet story Laura.

2. Mia says

Dear Laura
    Oh yes, my sweet friend, can you just feel that anticipate that first moment when you look deep into Jesus eyes and you really see your reflection as the apple of His eyes!! This makes me so excited!
    Blessings XX
    Mia

3. Diane | AnExtraordinaryDay.net says

We too woke up this morning with crystalline beauty all around us. My heart rejoices in it. My spirit soars. This reflection of the glory of our creator is so majestic and awesome.

I guess my *first* was photographing it with a new-to-me camera and a borrowed lens and experimenting with the settings, fingers crossed that I’ll get some good shots of this glorious morning.

Laura, I am so grateful God’s mercies are new each morning and my day has opportunities of many firsts if I only choose them.

Wishing you Joy this Christmas!

Loving our little burst of winter here in the midwest as well, Laura. And it’s so true that talking about those early days of our lives can transport us back to our younger selves in seconds! My sons don’t ask the type of question your son asked. Instead, I “tell” them of my glory days but they simply roll their eyes! But yes, so many firsts for yours and for mine … oh, and for us too! 😉

5. bluecottonmemory says

It’s a sweet thing when they ask those questions:) A first this week? My 13 year old using a powertool to help his dad install bookscases they got for me:) A first for him – but watching my husband teach all my boys like that always awes me!

My daughter did a month of “firsts” this past October, where every day she intentionally chose (or it chose her) something new. It was a good experience for her and one I might should consider for myself as well.

It is almost overwhelming when you think of all the “firsts” that we each have to learn! And continue to learn our entire lives. God never lets things get boring. 🙂

7. JosephPote says

Sometimes, I think my life is a long series of firsts…
    His mercies are, indeed, new every morning.
    Thank you, Laura, for the thought-provoking post, and the glimpse into the world you share with your son.

8. soulstops says

Yes, so grateful God gave you that moment of insight with your son, and for his mercies new every morning…He did give me a first, which I can’t explain here, but I see now His rescue of me this Christmas..blessings to you 🙂 and hugs 🙂

my husband and I were just talking about how we are running out of personal firsts. we are married, we have our first child and our first house, our first pets, our first Christmas in this new home. firsts are some of my favourite things…I cannot wait to watch Marian have more and more firsts, even though they make me a little teary.

My husband and I are in the midst of decorating our first home. Our 1st move was to purchase a dining light fixture…. this required quite a bit of negotiating skills as we have different tastes and views on spending. 🙂

Thanks for reminding me that there are many firsts ahead with Him, Laura. That encouraged me today.

Laura, this is so beautiful. And I love your reminder of God’s gentle opening of us, preparing us to love well, through the invitation of sharing stories with one another. What an amazing scene you paint here. Just breathtaking. Thank you.

And those firsts are often the things we remember the longest. First kiss. First cry of the baby. First day on the job. And often the Lasts linger as well. The last conversation. The last i love you. The last glimpse